mITX build (parts taken from current mATX build)

Hi all,

Budget (including currency): $500

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Max settings for 2017 and earlier games (because going to play modern AAA titles on PS5); PS2 era and earlier emulation 

When: Within 6 months

Existing parts:

AMD Ryzen 5 5600X 3.7 GHz 6-Core Processor

Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 CL18 Memory

MSI Radeon RX 580 4 GB ARMOR OC Video Card 

EVGA 550 B5, 80 Plus BRONZE 550W, Fully Modular

BitFenix Prodigy Mini ITX Tower Case

Going to buy:

Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX Mini ITX AM4 Motherboard

Possible upgrade:

Switch out existing PSU for: EVGA SuperNOVA GM 450 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular

Aim:  Eventually I am going to cannibalize my mATX build for an mITX build because I like the portability/space saving of smaller builds (although I've never built one before). Going to be used for 2017 and earlier pc gaming at max settings (because I will be playing modern AAA titles on PS5). I also want to emulate PS2 era titles and earlier with shaders. 

Monitors/peripherals: 1080p monitor, wireless keyboard and mouse, wired headset

Thank you for any tips or insight you can give!

ASRock B550M PG RIPTIDE       Corsair Vengeance 16 GB DDR4             TEAMGROUP MP33 1 TB NVME SSD

AMD Ryzen 5 5600X                   Antec DF700 Case                                 MSI Radeon RX 580 4 GB ARMOR OC

Its an older model case. Are you sure you need a dvd-drive and all those drive cages?

But if you already have it, can get it cheap or just love the aestetics, im not judging. I love my own minifrigde Node 304.

Be aware that GPU space will be limited, although i cant see exactly how much. So you will need relativly compact models.

So is noise an issue for you? If it is, I reccomend looking for quiet GPUs like the sapphire pulse and nitro models, but pay attention til card size. If noise is not a problem, just get a cheap slim card of preferred model and maker 🙂

Have fun. I did my first build in a mITX. Its challenging but a lot of fun.

mITX is awesome! I regret nothing (apart from when picking parts or have to do maintainance *cough*cough*)

13 minutes ago, DeerDK said:

Its an older model case. Are you sure you need a dvd-drive and all those drive cages?

But if you already have it, can get it cheap or just love the aestetics, im not judging. I love my own minifrigde Node 304.

Good point! When I was looking for it it was unavailable/sold out everywhere and that's when I realized how old it was. Didn't notice the dvd drive, etc, definitely don't need extra bays worth of stuff. 

14 minutes ago, DeerDK said:

Be aware that GPU space will be limited, although i cant see exactly how much. So you will need relativly compact models.

So is noise an issue for you? If it is, I reccomend looking for quiet GPUs like the sapphire pulse and nitro models, but pay attention til card size. If noise is not a problem, just get a cheap slim card of preferred model and maker 🙂

I think that's actually the error that PCPartPicker was giving me, that the card would block one of the bays in the case. But yeah, I'm definitely open to different cases, that Node 304 is nice, I love the cube design which definitely is what I want to stick with. Any cool neon green cube shaped case I can find really! (high on the list of priorities :p)

I like the idea of a different card, the RX 580 is a little bit of a monster in terms of iTX, so I am open to as quiet and as small of a card as possible. Would definitely like it to be as silent as possible of a machine 

ASRock B550M PG RIPTIDE       Corsair Vengeance 16 GB DDR4             TEAMGROUP MP33 1 TB NVME SSD

AMD Ryzen 5 5600X                   Antec DF700 Case                                 MSI Radeon RX 580 4 GB ARMOR OC

2 minutes ago, berderder said:

Good point! When I was looking for it it was unavailable/sold out everywhere and that's when I realized how old it was. Didn't notice the dvd drive, etc, definitely don't need extra bays worth of stuff. 

I think that's actually the error that PCPartPicker was giving me, that the card would block one of the bays in the case. But yeah, I'm definitely open to different cases, that Node 304 is nice, I love the cube design which definitely is what I want to stick with. Any cool neon green cube shaped case I can find really! (high on the list of priorities :p)

I like the idea of a different card, the RX 580 is a little bit of a monster in terms of iTX, so I am open to as quiet and as small of a card as possible. Would definitely like it to be as silent as possible of a machine 

I dont think the Node 304 comes in Green, but maybe one of the Cooler Master NR200 or NR200p models - they do come in a lot of colours and have good reviews.

I'd warn a bit about the Node 304 as it also suffers from narrow GPU space - max width 45 mm. 

You can get around it, like the sapphire pulse 6600 xt, which should be fine for 1080p, but you can't shove a really beefy gpu in it (had to get another case for my MSI 3060 gaming x). Otherwise its a very good case. I put in a fanless psu, and noctua u12s cooler for my cpu, and it was very quiet. So im considering throwing a sapphire 6600 xt in it and move back to it - i miss my little white box.

The Cooler Master has more space for the GPU, but is then more limited in terms of PSU. But that is the conditions when you go for mITX, priorities needs to be made.

mITX is awesome! I regret nothing (apart from when picking parts or have to do maintainance *cough*cough*)

2 hours ago, DeerDK said:

I dont think the Node 304 comes in Green, but maybe one of the Cooler Master NR200 or NR200p models - they do come in a lot of colours and have good reviews.

Ooo I like that bright orange Cooler Master NR200. That MASTERCASE H100 ARGB is pretty cool too, I might be learning towards something more like that.

The card I have is already pretty old, bought it used when the market dipped low enough just so I had something newer than my 2012 era card. So I'm open for sure to something like the sapphire card. I don't think I've even seen a fanless PSU before, will definitely look into that

57 minutes ago, berderder said:

Ooo I like that bright orange Cooler Master NR200. That MASTERCASE H100 ARGB is pretty cool too, I might be learning towards something more like that.

The card I have is already pretty old, bought it used when the market dipped low enough just so I had something newer than my 2012 era card. So I'm open for sure to something like the sapphire card. I don't think I've even seen a fanless PSU before, will definitely look into that

Glad to help 🙂
Seasonic makes some good fanless models, although full ATX, so you have to make sure that you can use the ATX PSU mount in the NR200 together with the new GPU.
They come at a premium, but if low noise is a priority, they can be good value. I have used my 460w since 2015 with no issues.

The 600w Titanium model got good reviews a few years ago. But as i said, its expensive.

13 minutes ago, DeerDK said:

Glad to help 🙂
Seasonic makes some good fanless models, although full ATX, so you have to make sure that you can use the ATX PSU mount in the NR200 together with the new GPU.
They come at a premium, but if low noise is a priority, they can be good value. I have used my 460w since 2015 with no issues.

The 600w Titanium model got good reviews a few years ago. But as i said, its expensive.

Oh cool! Makes me want to shoot for it as a goal even more. I think with the workload I’ll be putting on it I can squeak by with pretty low noise regarding any other fans. When you use these shaders and stuff for emulators it really cranks up the workload from what I’ve experienced so that fanless feature would be nice 

41 minutes ago, berderder said:

Oh cool! Makes me want to shoot for it as a goal even more. I think with the workload I’ll be putting on it I can squeak by with pretty low noise regarding any other fans. When you use these shaders and stuff for emulators it really cranks up the workload from what I’ve experienced so that fanless feature would be nice 

Cool. Crossing fingers for you. Good luck with your build 🙂

53 minutes ago, DeerDK said:

Cool. Crossing fingers for you. Good luck with your build 🙂

Thank you for your advice! 😃