Suddenly cannot use more than 1 stick of RAM

Gauzl

After a series of blue screens after playing Anno 1800 with mods, my computer will no longer boot with more than 1 stick of RAM.

Specs:

CPU 5800X

MOBO ROG X570-F

RAM 4x 8GB G.skill Trident DDR4 - 4000MHz (F4-4000C18D-16GTZRB)

At first I was using 2x 8GB sticks and decided to buy another 2 which I had no trouble with for over a year running all 4 sticks at 3600MHz, with over 1000 hours playing Anno 1800 with mods and not a single problem. However now all of a sudden I've run into this issue.

I've tested each stick individually and they all work and tested sticks from other kits which all work as well in single lane.

I've now done a fresh install of windows and still cannot boot with more than a single stick of RAM.

Anyone have any ideas?

First would be to try updating BIOS if you haven't already. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

4 minutes ago, Skiiwee29 said:

No, I'll get that done first.

Last time this happened with me was because of a bent pin (AMD CPU, but a much older one)

Also, it might be prudent to check the board's QVL list and whether it supports that extra RAM for that particular SKU. Even if it's QVL'd for one kit, that doesn't mean it can or will run two. It's also possible some of that RAM is single rank and some of it is dual rank, which can be an issue. I've seen situations where a manufacturer built a particular RAM SKU in single and dual rank, and shipped one or the other depending what was available, with no differentiation between the two.

Edited by An0maly_76
Revised, more info

I don't badmouth others' input, I'd appreciate others not badmouthing mine. *** More below ***

MODERATE TO SEVERE AUTISTIC, COMPLICATED WITH COVID FOG

Due to the above, I've likely revised posts <30 min old, and do not think as you do.

THINK BEFORE YOU REPLY!

32 minutes ago, Skiiwee29 said:

I've done the BIOS update but now my PC wont boot past the BIOS, just loads into BIOS everytime.

Just now, Gauzl said:

I've done the BIOS update but now my PC wont boot past the BIOS, just loads into BIOS everytime.

using Default BIOS settings?

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

1 minute ago, Skiiwee29 said:

using Default BIOS settings?

I haven't altered any settings since reinstalling windows and the BIOS update, I am seeing that no boot drive is being detected though.

1 minute ago, Gauzl said:

I haven't altered any settings since reinstalling windows and the BIOS update, I am seeing that no boot drive is being detected though.

That would be why which is odd. Try reseating your NVME SSD I assume that you're using. If not, swap slots. 

"Black Out"

Dedicated Streaming Rig

2 minutes ago, Skiiwee29 said:

That would be why which is odd. Try reseating your NVME SSD I assume that you're using. If not, swap slots. 

God dam I really regret using hard tubing now, I cant access the NVME without removing the graphics card which will require draining my loop.

Just now, Gauzl said:

God dam I really regret using hard tubing now, I cant access the NVME without removing the graphics card which will require draining my loop.

ooooof, you have my F's in chat. 

"Black Out"

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Just now, Skiiwee29 said:

ooooof, you have my F's in chat. 

The BIOS is detecting the drive in storage information but not in the boot menu, Will reinstalling windows work?

2 minutes ago, Gauzl said:

The BIOS is detecting the drive in storage information but not in the boot menu, Will reinstalling windows work?

can you select the drive as your boot device?

"Black Out"

Dedicated Streaming Rig

1 minute ago, Skiiwee29 said:

can you select the drive as your boot device?

No it cant find a bootable device, I'll see what happens when I try booting with windows installation media. Also I still cant boot with more than 1 stick of RAM.

32 minutes ago, Gauzl said:

No it cant find a bootable device, I'll see what happens when I try booting with windows installation media. Also I still cant boot with more than 1 stick of RAM.

I dont think a reinstall of windows will help, but I could be wrong. Right now my gut is telling me either a CPU issue or Motherboard issue. Do you have an extra of either to test with to confirm either way?

"Black Out"

Dedicated Streaming Rig

10 minutes ago, Skiiwee29 said:

I dont think a reinstall of windows will help, but I could be wrong. Right now my gut is telling me either a CPU issue or Motherboard issue. Do you have an extra of either to test with to confirm either way?

If it is a CPU or motherboard fault, unless it can be fixed through simple driver updates, my only option is to buy new hardware, which the new Ryzen 7000 comes out end of this month so I'll be waiting for that.

21 minutes ago, Skiiwee29 said:

Reinstalling windows worked, the NVME SSD must have been in the wrong format to boot from. If this fresh reinstall of windows and drivers doesn't fix the issue then guess im stuck with a single 8GB stick of ram till next month.

12 minutes ago, Gauzl said:

If it is a CPU or motherboard fault, unless it can be fixed through simple driver updates, my only option is to buy new hardware, which the new Ryzen 7000 comes out end of this month so I'll be waiting for that.

Does it work with 2 sticks? If so you could mix and match to see if there's one that's not playing well with others.

I'm not actually trying to be as grumpy as it seems.

I will find your mentions of Ikea or Gnome and I will /s post. 

Project Hot Box

CPU 13900k, Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX, RAM CORSAIR Vengeance 4x16gb 5200 MHZ, GPU Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity OC, Case Fractal Pop Air XL, Storage Sabrent Rocket Q4 2tbCORSAIR Force Series MP510 1920GB NVMe, CORSAIR FORCE Series MP510 960GB NVMe, PSU CORSAIR HX1000i, Cooling Corsair XC8 CPU block, Bykski GPU block, 360mm and 280mm radiator, Displays Odyssey G9, LG 34UC98-W 34-Inch,Keyboard Mountain Everest Max, Mouse Mountain Makalu 67, Sound AT2035, Massdrop 6xx headphones, Go XLR 

Oppbevaring

CPU i9-9900k, Motherboard, ASUS Rog Maximus Code XI, RAM, 48GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200 mhz (2x16)+(2x8) GPUs Asus ROG Strix 2070 8gb, PNY 1080, Nvidia 1080, Case Mining Frame, 2x Storage Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB, PSU Corsair RM1000x and RM850x, Cooling Asus Rog Ryuo 240 with Noctua NF-12 fans

Why is the 5800x so hot?

Just now, IkeaGnome said:

Does it work with 2 sticks? If so you could mix and match to see if there's one that's not playing well with others.

No wont work with more than 1, even my old set of corsair vengeance memory wont work with more than 1.