Help - <60fps and 100% GPU usage in Minecraft Java edition (RTX 2080)

GalacticViper

I don't know if this is the right place to post this, but I posted something in the Minecraft Reddit, and didn't get much useful info. (They told me to allocate more RAM and turn down render distance)

Here are my relevant system specs: Nothing is overclocked.

CPU: i74790k

RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1200 Mhz

GPU: AIO Liquid Cooled RTX 2080

I'm also playing at 4k resolution on a 60hz monitor.

Like the title says, when I play Minecraft Java Edition, my GPU stays pegged at 96%-100% usage, while RAM and CPU stay relatively low (CPU around 20-30%), even when literally no other foreground tasks are running. This makes absolutely no sense to me, as to my understanding, Minecraft is a very CPU intensive game, and should be no sweat for a GPU that can run Battlefield V at maxed settings at >50fps.

It's almost like Minecraft is only using my GPU and RAM but not really touching the CPU. which is very odd.

Also, my frames are pretty low (around 35 on a server), so low that I've started hosting my own personal server on my old PC just so I can play without lagging as playing a local single player world is not an option anymore because my frames are <10 most of the time, and input lag is frequently >1 second.

Bedrock runs perfectly, but it is a completely different game written in a completely different language, so I don't like to compare them.

I have 12 GB of RAM allocated to my Java install.

I set the bundled Java runtime to performance mode in Nivida Control panel already, and it didn't help at all.

I am already using Optifine too, which helps performance immensely. Vanilla Minecraft is even worse and is unplayable at this point.

I have attached pictures of all my video settings, and my system usage according to task manager.

I'm not using any shaders, and my resource pack is a personal pack I'm working on that doesn't change a ton of stuff apart from UI, item textures, and sounds. I have also tested with the vanilla textures, but it is the same.

I've tried playing in Fullscreen mode and it does not seem to affect anything, so I keep it in windowed just for convivence.

Render Distance is obviously the main thing that affects my performance. 10 is what I have it at right now. if I go lower, it will obviously run better but I lose the extra sight which helps a lot when exploring (and GPU usage stays in the high 90s). I found that if I bring it above 10, its starts getting jittery depending on where I am (when I'm underground I get over 400fps no matter what the render distance is)

10 is really low though IMO. Ideally, I would like to have at least 32, but doing so makes it unplayable.

I've tried turning on and off pretty much every other setting, and the only one that has a big impact is render distance.

Turning off smooth lighting helps a little bit, but I like to keep it on as it's worth more than the small performance loss to me.

The server I'm on was just started 3 days ago, so there's no big farms or anything like that could affect frames around yet. Just a few chests, a small farm and a mine.

Also, none of my friends are having any issues, so it's not the server, and they are running higher render distances, no Optifine, and some of them on laptops with integrated graphics.

I think that my machine should be running Minecraft much faster than it is and there is definitely some sort of problem with my GPU, or with Minecraft.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2022-08-31_14-25-44.jpg

2022-08-31_14-27-23.jpg

2022-08-31_14-27-09.jpg

2022-08-31_14-26-53.jpg

2022-08-31_14-26-34.jpg

2022-08-31_14-26-08.jpg

2022-08-31_14-31-21.jpg

11 minutes ago, GalacticViper said:

I'm also playing at 4k resolution on a 60hz monitor.

You're also putting graphics settings to the maximum on an RTX 2080 while trying to play at 4K resolution and above 60FPS. That doesn't help. Make sure Java is up to date and is the 64 bit version and not 32 bit (should be 64 bit if you're allocating 12GB of RAM). 

Also, are you playing with mods?

CPU Cooler Tier List  || Motherboard VRMs Tier List || Motherboard Beep & POST Codes || Graphics Card Tier List || PSU Tier List 

Main System Specifications: 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X ||  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Air Cooler ||  RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB(4x8GB) DDR4-3600 CL18  ||  Mobo: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero X570  ||  SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2-2280 Boot Drive/Some Games)  ||  HDD: 2X Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB(Game Drive)  ||  GPU: ASUS TUF Gaming RX 6900XT  ||  PSU: EVGA P2 1600W  ||  Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow  ||  Mouse: Logitech G502 Hero SE RGB  ||  Keyboard: Logitech G513 Carbon RGB with GX Blue Clicky Switches  ||  Mouse Pad: MAINGEAR ASSIST XL ||  Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG34VQL1B 34" 

Damn, this is a long post! 😃 Good on you for being so detailed. More people should go for your example, but whatever. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Let me clear something up:

The saying that states that Minecraft Java Edition is CPU intensive is not 100% correct. Yes, it loves fast CPUs, but the limitation of the Java Edition is that it is very single threaded. So if you want good perfomance in Minecraft get a CPU with a few very fast cores.

As @CommanderAlex have mentioned, playing 4k with a 2080 is only gonna get you so far when playing at high settings. Thus, I agree that you are GPU limited in this case.

Please mention or quote me if you want a response. :) 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Interesting Problem 

But I have no help sorry

Build = 12400f - 1080ti

2 minutes ago, OptiV3x said:

Interesting Problem 

But I have no help sorry

then why reply? lol

3 minutes ago, Linus No Beard said:

then why reply? lol

I just wanted to say this too

"I have seen problems like this too, like my friend has a RTX 3090 and its capped at 60FPS"

"It also could be that windows might be putting a cap on the FPS"

end

Build = 12400f - 1080ti

1 minute ago, OptiV3x said:

"I have seen problems like this too, like my friend has a RTX 3090 and its capped at 60FPS"

locked 60 or 30 could be vsync or not having a good enough cable

22 minutes ago, Uptivuptiz said:

Damn, this is a long post! 😃 Good on you for being so detailed. More people should go for your example, but whatever. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Let me clear something up:

The saying that states that Minecraft Java Edition is CPU intensive is not 100% correct. Yes, it loves fast CPUs, but the limitation of the Java Edition is that it is very single threaded. So if you want good perfomance in Minecraft get a CPU with a few very fast cores.

As @CommanderAlex have mentioned, playing 4k with a 2080 is only gonna get you so far when playing at high settings. Thus, I agree that you are GPU limited in this case.

Thanks. I like to be detailed so I don't have to answer 50 questions about things I've already tried.

Interesting. I knew it was single threaded, (and correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe Optifine makes it di-threaded), but then wouldn't it be using more of my CPU? I only get maybe 10% less usage when Minecraft isn't running.

I guess since everything is pixilated, I never really thought of the resolution thing lol.

Is there a way to make it not run at 4k then? resolution doesn't matter for a game like Minecraft so I would obviously rather have the increased performance. (I'm probably just blind but I don't see anything obvious)

1 minute ago, Linus No Beard said:

locked 60 or 30 could be vsync or not having a good enough cable

Vsync isn't on, and my cable is fine because I can run other games at better fps.

27 minutes ago, Linus No Beard said:

remove all shaders and resource packs then try again

I've tried that. didn't help.

27 minutes ago, CommanderAlex said:

You're also putting graphics settings to the maximum on an RTX 2080 while trying to play at 4K resolution and above 60FPS. That doesn't help. Make sure Java is up to date and is the 64 bit version and not 32 bit (should be 64 bit if you're allocating 12GB of RAM). 

Also, are you playing with mods?

I'm not playing with any mods unless Optifine counts.

I have the newest 64-bit version of Java installed, but Minecraft isn't using it as it won't use anything other than the bundled version and I can't make it use it as it gives me an incompatibility error when I try to give it a different path. (Even if I tell it to use the same version its bundled with, which is odd, but whatever).

Either way, I can't see why the bundled version wouldn't be 64-bit.

5 minutes ago, GalacticViper said:

I guess since everything is pixilated, I never really thought of the resolution thing lol.

Is there a way to make it not run at 4k then? resolution doesn't matter for a game like Minecraft so I would obviously rather have the increased performance. (I'm probably just blind but I don't see anything obvious)

I dont think base minecraft has a resolution setting short of putting it in window mode and setting JVM arguments to 1920x1080 but then it only uses part of the screen

Try playing at your render distance.   Sorry, i need to read the OP more closely.

I had a 3060 and a 4690k (i know, weaker than your i7, but still).

I got terrible lag if i moved too fast and far in minecraft, for example when sailing, and the pc couldn't keep up in loading the new terrain. 

Upgrading to a new Cpu (5600x) made a world of a difference. Much smoother experience. 

Additional edit - I dont know if you can use my input, but given we both use(d) 4th generation CPUs I thought it might be of some interest.

mITX is awesome! I regret nothing (apart from when picking parts or have to do maintainance *cough*cough*)

Op try with mimap levels 0. Then after thatbifbperformance inst good try with graphics not on fabulous

9 hours ago, DeerDK said:

Try playing at your render distance.   Sorry, i need to read the OP more closely.

I had a 3060 and a 4690k (i know, weaker than your i7, but still).

I got terrible lag if i moved too fast and far in minecraft, for example when sailing, and the pc couldn't keep up in loading the new terrain. 

Upgrading to a new Cpu (5600x) made a world of a difference. Much smoother experience. 

Additional edit - I dont know if you can use my input, but given we both use(d) 4th generation CPUs I thought it might be of some interest.

I am planning to upgrade (probably to a 12700k) in the near(ish) future. I expect a newer CPU will help a lot, but it doesn't look like I'm CPU bound though, at least according to task manager. Which is very odd to me.

5 hours ago, jaslion said:

Op try with mimap levels 0. Then after thatbifbperformance inst good try with graphics not on fabulous

Will do. Hopefuly it will help.

Edit: Turning off fabulous graphics helped a lot at render distance 10, mipmap didn't help at all. I am now able to play at render distance 16 without horrible issues. It's still <35fps most of the time, but its playable enough for me, I guess.

Maybe I'll just have to wait until I upgrade my CPU.

the thing that still bothers me though is that my GPU usage is still super high which I can't explain.