Steam Deck numbers

Ethnod

I've not yet come across any articles or videos from reputable sources that discuss estimated numbers of Steam Decks in the wild. 

I'm really curious to see if someone has worked out a relatively good estimate based off OS numbers on the latest steam numbers or something like that. 

Has anyone come across something worth reading/watching? 

Never trust a man, who, when left alone with a tea cosey... Doesn't try it on. Billy Connolly
Marriage is a wonderful invention: then again, so is a bicycle repair kit. Billy Connolly
Before you judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes. After that, who cares? He's a mile away and you've got his shoes. Billy Connolly

6 minutes ago, Ethnod said:

I've not yet come across any articles or videos from reputable sources that discuss estimated numbers of Steam Decks in the wild. 

I'm really curious to see if someone has worked out a relatively good estimate based off OS numbers on the latest steam numbers or something like that. 

Has anyone come across something worth reading/watching? 

https://www.youtube.com/c/GardinerBryant

i belive he worked it out in a recent video but i cant find were atm

if you want a reply you need to quote or @me 

25 minutes ago, adiack said:

https://www.youtube.com/c/GardinerBryant

i belive he worked it out in a recent video but i cant find were atm

I've been watching all his videos for years, not seen anything yet, watched all his vids lately and while I remember him touching on it slightly about a month or two ago it was very rough. 

I'm really curious if we have a good estimate 

Never trust a man, who, when left alone with a tea cosey... Doesn't try it on. Billy Connolly
Marriage is a wonderful invention: then again, so is a bicycle repair kit. Billy Connolly
Before you judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes. After that, who cares? He's a mile away and you've got his shoes. Billy Connolly

So I've been doing some rough math but the problem is that I don't understand enough about the steam hardware report. 

Arch says it's 0.17%, I am assuming that this is of the months active users which is roughly 120 million.  That would mean that there are roughly 204,000 Steam Deck units in use last month, roughly. But I am making a lot of assumptions there, anyone understand more about the Steam Hardware survey care to weigh in?

9 minutes ago, Ethnod said:

So I've been doing some rough math but the problem is that I don't understand enough about the steam hardware report. 

Arch says it's 0.17%, I am assuming that this is of the months active users which is roughly 120 million.  That would mean that there are roughly 204,000 Steam Deck units in use last month, roughly. But I am making a lot of assumptions there, anyone understand more about the Steam Hardware survey care to weigh in?

well the issue is that not all arch users are steam deck users i belive it comes under a differnt os with something like hollow in its name

38 minutes ago, adiack said:

well the issue is that not all arch users are steam deck users i belive it comes under a differnt os with something like hollow in its name

Happy to be corrected here by someone more knowledgeable on this than me but I'm fairly certain that it is Arch and is displayed on the Steam Survey as Arch also. 

13 minutes ago, Ethnod said:

Happy to be corrected here by someone more knowledgeable on this than me but I'm fairly certain that it is Arch and is displayed on the Steam Survey as Arch also. 

image.png.c454c32afbf90ca23858612d80f0ecfc.png

these % are of the linus market share witch is 1.23% of the total steam market share

that gives a rought napkin math amount of 112,176 steam deck* that have signed up for the hardware survay

of course some other people could be using steam os

but the gpu it uses has 7.56% market share of linux sooo 7,6 is prety close

image.thumb.png.9d6f6765c57c97c3e3a29267802496e5.png