made this build can anyone check it out before i buy it?

alexfer84

I'd recommend WD Blue SN570 M.2 -- plenty fast and better bang for the buck, I have one in my 5900X/RTX3060tiOC rig with no complaints. And check the RAM SKU against the board manufacturer's QVL list. Ask me how I know about that. 馃え

Edited by An0maly_76
Revised, more info

I don't badmouth others' input, I'd appreciate others not badmouthing mine. *** More below ***

MODERATE TO SEVERE AUTISTIC, COMPLICATED WITH COVID FOG

Due to the above, I've likely revised posts <30 min old, and do not think as you do.

THINK BEFORE YOU REPLY!

Ehhh. I mean it's not terrible, but:

• I'd look into cheaper storage options. The Pro drives are usually terrible value for the money.
  • Check the PSU against the LTT PSU Tier list; only pick something in one of the upper tiers.
  • Try and get a better GPU; build looks rather unbalanced, and the 6600 isn't a great performer.
  • That's a massive cooler for that CPU.

Welcome to the forum.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

If budget is an issue and you're currently not in an extreme gaming zone, a GPU is pretty much the easiest thing to upgrade later on. So going for a cheap GPU now and upgrading later 'could' be a good thing. It all depends on what you want to do.

I bought my PC nearly 10 years ago with a cheap ass GPU and upgraded my GPU like 1,5 or 2 years ago.

Looks fine to me! I'd only make a few changes

I'd get a smaller cpu cooler because while it is good, it's pretty overkill for a 12400. An Arctic esports or vetroo v5 would be fine instead

I'd get cheaper ram, such as 16gb of 3200 cl16 since they perfrom similarly anyways聽

980 pro is a pretty expensive ssd, you can allocate budget elsewhere, mainly your gpu聽

Revised list

https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/ysqTFg

14 minutes ago, dizmo said:

Check the PSU against the LTT PSU Tier list; only pick something in one of the upper tiers.

The msi mag psu is A tier so no concern there聽

2 hours ago, An0maly_76 said:

I'd recommend WD Blue SN570 M.2 -- plenty fast and better bang for the buck, I have one in my 5900X/RTX3060tiOC rig with no complaints. And check the RAM SKU against the board manufacturer's QVL list. Ask me how I know about that. 馃え

RAM SKU against the board manufacturer's QVL list. sorry i dont understand what that is

2 hours ago, alexfer84 said:

RAM SKU against the board manufacturer's QVL list. sorry i dont understand what that is

This is something that I think most people are unaware of as yet, because I think it's more of a factor with some boards than others. So I'll walk you through it.

QVL is Qualified Vendor List, more or less a listing of components the board manufacturer certifies as being compatible with the board. And with some boards, this list can vary by processor choice. So, if a RAM kit or other component is on this list, that means the board manufacturer certifies the board will work as intended with that particular component. Some say a component's absence from such lists means it wasn't tested with it, but it can also mean that it WAS tested and had some sort of issue.

Any way you look at it, bottom line, if a component is not on the QVL list for a board, the manufacturer does not guarantee its compatibility and stability is not guaranteed. Which means you may or may not have issues with it, as some components can and will create issues with either other devices or the board itself. Case in point, my Asus Tuf B550-PLUS had a random blank screen at startup that appears to have been due to RAM that was not on the board's QVL list. Since switching to a RAM kit from Asus' QVL for that board, I haven't seen that happen again. And it's a pretty simple process to determine a component's QVL status.

So for this instance, you might Google "MSI PRO B660-A motherboard ram compatibility", which would give this in the list of search results...

https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/PRO-B660-A-DDR4

From there, you would click the Support tab up top, then Compatibility from the choices below.聽 Tabs for CPU, Memory, VGA, Storage, and Compatible Devices will appear. Click on Memory, and here you can search the list of memory kits MSI certifies as working well with this motherboard by SKU / part #, in the case of your selection, AX4U36008G18I-DCBKD45. I searched this one, and it doesn't seem to be there, though you can try it again if you like.

image.thumb.png.e78fa0dda779a900689ad2b7d99a6ef8.png

Since the kit appears to be absent from the list, if a SKU / part # has been searched, viewing what certified compatible devices is as easy as blanking out the search bar and pressing Enter. You can then sort by manufacturer, speed rating (Mhz), DIMM size (4 GB / 8GB / 16GB), and voltage rating, among other things. If you want to stick with a particular manufacturer, then you can search that manufacturer name to show only the kits by that manufacturer. So if you search ADATA, for example, the following shows up.

image.thumb.png.95147720e0a38f2671992a9dac851617.png

At which point you can see which ADATA RAM SKUs / part #s are certified by MSI as working with this board without issue. As you can see, at least ten pages of SKUs / part #s for ADATA alone, any of which MSI vouches for as working without issue. This also can be done for VGA (video card / GPU), CPU, storage and certain other devices. Some will say QVL means nothing and that it's nothing to worry about, but that's not always true, as I found out. At least in a handful of cases, ti can make all the difference, and this can be an expensive mistake due to a simple oversight. For instance, I spent $138 on RAM that created issues with my build, that I can't even resell or return, as I found out after it was too late for a return, and further, in my case, I can't even find a QVL that lists the particular RAM SKU I used originally. I've also found out the same RAM was not certified for a previous machine I installed it in, which explains why it's been quirky to the point of appearing neurotic.

Hope all this helps you to understand QVL and avoid such costly mistakes in your build. Good luck.

image.png

I don't badmouth others' input, I'd appreciate others not badmouthing mine. *** More below ***

MODERATE TO SEVERE AUTISTIC, COMPLICATED WITH COVID FOG

Due to the above, I've likely revised posts <30 min old, and do not think as you do.

THINK BEFORE YOU REPLY!