5800X3D cooling options and B350 PBO options

Hey Folks,

I have a 5800X3d on a b350 bazooka (I know, I know...) with a Noctual NHU12A.  The CPU is stable and in the mid 30s C at idle, but under load it shoots to 91C.  Gaming and browsing are fine, but video encoding or benchmarks send it over 90C.

The b350 BIOS has a simple fan control, but I verified it is going to 100% fan over 70C.

Unfortunately, I don't have any PBO control that I can find, and I am wondering if it could be on and causing the heat.  

Anyone with the 5800X3d care to share their cooling solution and the performance they are seeing?  Looking for advice.

If I need to upgrade the MOBO for PBO control and that is the issue, I could do that too, but I want to verify that is the issue.

Thanks in advance.

Did you try undervolting with CO ?

System : AMD R9 5900X / Gigabyte X570 AORUS PRO/ 2x16GB Corsair Vengeance 3600CL18 ASUS TUF Gaming AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX OC Edition GPU/ Phanteks P600S case /  Eisbaer 280mm AIO (with 2xArctic P14 fans) / 2TB Crucial T500  NVme + 2TB WD SN850 NVme + 4TB Toshiba X300 HDD drives/ Corsair RM850x PSU/  Alienware AW3420DW 34" 120Hz 3440x1440p monitor / Logitech G915TKL keyboard (wireless) / Logitech G PRO X Superlight mouse / Audeze Maxwell headphones

2 minutes ago, PDifolco said:

Did you try undervolting with CO ?

Not yet, but that was my next question.  I'm sure their is a guide somewhere on 5800X3d undervolting I could look up.

7 minutes ago, TheGlenlivet said:

Not yet, but that was my next question.  I'm sure their is a guide somewhere on 5800X3d undervolting I could look up.

I'm on a 5900X, but  let's make one ; put everything at -30, if it works, done 🙂

Else look in HWinfo your say 3 best cores (they're ranked), put them at -20, others at -30

Still doesn't work ? Put the best at -15, the rest at -25.

I don't think it can crash with that, but then you know the trick 🙂

System : AMD R9 5900X / Gigabyte X570 AORUS PRO/ 2x16GB Corsair Vengeance 3600CL18 ASUS TUF Gaming AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX OC Edition GPU/ Phanteks P600S case /  Eisbaer 280mm AIO (with 2xArctic P14 fans) / 2TB Crucial T500  NVme + 2TB WD SN850 NVme + 4TB Toshiba X300 HDD drives/ Corsair RM850x PSU/  Alienware AW3420DW 34" 120Hz 3440x1440p monitor / Logitech G915TKL keyboard (wireless) / Logitech G PRO X Superlight mouse / Audeze Maxwell headphones

4 minutes ago, PDifolco said:

I'm on a 5900X, but  let's make one ; put everything at -30, if it works, done 🙂

Else look in HWinfo your say 3 best cores (they're ranked), put them at -20, others at -30

Is this in BIOS or Ryzen Master?

Just now, TheGlenlivet said:

Is this in BIOS or Ryzen Master?

In BIOS, Curve Optimizer

Playing with Ryzen Master won't help reducing temps

2 minutes ago, PDifolco said:

In BIOS, Curve Optimizer

Awesome. Thanks.

I am pretty sure my b350 BIOS had Curve Optimizer.  I'll investigate this evening.

17 minutes ago, PDifolco said:

i just put everything to -10 or he could do a -0.1 offset for cpu

1 minute ago, rotexen said:

i just put everything to -10 or he could do a -0.1 offset for cpu

What was the difference in your temps at just -10?

7 hours ago, PDifolco said:

In BIOS, Curve Optimizer

No curve Optimizer in the b350 BIOS.  No PBO controls in the b350 BIOS.  I'm stuck.

That's because the 5800X3D officially doesn't / didn't support Curve Optimizer. It was a later BIOS update not all boards got if it is enabled at all. 

You could just run a negative vCore offset tho and see if it stays stable. What is the load vCore now in rendering? If it's like, above 1.40v it should take a negative offset just fine. 

The nhu12s isnt enough for a 5800x3d you need a better cooler.

That and the cpu doesnt actually support any frequency or voltage alterations officiallly

34 minutes ago, jaslion said:

The nhu12s isnt enough for a 5800x3d you need a better cooler.

That and the cpu doesnt actually support any frequency or voltage alterations officiallly

no cpu does support voltage alterations officially, right ? 

Didn't think about the 5800X3D or B350 limitations on PBO, so yes manual negative voltage offset and/or better cooling are the only options

58 minutes ago, PDifolco said:

no cpu does support voltage alterations officially, right ? 

Didn't think about the 5800X3D or B350 limitations on PBO, so yes manual negative voltage offset and/or better cooling are the only options

I meant it as in the 5800x3d has it blocked blocked on a bios level due to its design

Better cooling is the answer here sadly

Using the PBO2 tuner App does work.  -15 for all cores has taken about 5C off the temps under load (84-85C) and is still stable.  I haven't gone lower than that.  The issue is I have to start and tune the program at every start up.

@jaslion, I'm looking at a 280mm AIO in place of my Noctua.

@ImprezzionNegative Vcore down to 1.3v from 1.4v might be the way to do this.  More testing tonight.

2 hours ago, TheGlenlivet said:

I'm looking at a 280mm AIO in place of my Noctua.

Which one? An ak620 will also totally do and is like 40-50$.

1 hour ago, jaslion said:

Returning the Noctua and ordering the AK620.

And using the extra $40 to buy whisky...

On 8/23/2022 at 12:00 PM, jaslion said:

Installed the AK620.  Still need the PBO tuner to keep it from throttling.  It will go over 85C on an R23 run.  

Ah well, At least there is a solution.

15 hours ago, TheGlenlivet said:

Installed the AK620.  Still need the PBO tuner to keep it from throttling.  It will go over 85C on an R23 run.  

Ah well, At least there is a solution.

That is really really stange as in review that cooler keeps it at 75c tops with noise cap of 35dba. It's also flat out better than your noctua yet it's not doing better.

What case do you have?

9 hours ago, jaslion said:

That is really really stange as in review that cooler keeps it at 75c tops with noise cap of 35dba. It's also flat out better than your noctua yet it's not doing better.

What case do you have?

A Masterbox Q300L, but I did testing with the case open and I have modified the front for airflow.  I don't think the case is playing a part in the overheating.