AMD vs Intel?

Go to solution Solved by Darkseth,

Thanks, that helps.

HP-15: Quite "low End" quality wise (so do treat it with a bit more care, and you should be fine for years), but should have 2 Ram Slots.

Acer Aspire 5: Should be a bit better quality wise. But it has Soldered Ram + 1 Free Slot.

Either it's a 4gb soldered + 4gb Stick, so 8gb good  Dual Channel. Not much, especially not for Gaming. You should be sure to have a Model with 8gb Soldered, so you can put another 8gb inside for a total of 16gb Dual Channel.

4gb Soldered + 16gb Stick works for a total of 20gb Ram. But only 8gb will run in Dual Channel, 12gb will run in Single Channel. It's Random where the Data land s, so your Game fps could drop half the time.

HP-15 with Intel: Same as first one, 2 Ram Slots. And solid CPU and GPU Perfromance, if you prefer Intel over AMD. I personally would chose Ryzen 5 5500u tho.

Asus X515 similar with Acer Aspire 5. 4 gb Soldered Ram + 1 Free Slot. There are Configurations with 8gb + 8gb.

Acer + Asus:  Those Models that are sold with 8gb Ram usually have 4gb Soldered + 4 gb Stick.

Models with 16gb Ram have 8gb soldered + 8gb Stick.

Soo.. I would probably take one of the HP-15 here, since having 2 full Ram Slots can be quite good for the future. 
My personal take would also be Ryzen 5 5500u > i5 1135G7.

Depending on your Budget, you might wanna go a bit above to like a Thinkpad E14 G3/G4, HP ProBook 445 G8  (or the new G9), Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro series, Asus Zenbook. Preferably with 16gb Ram.

Thinkpad E14 with AMD CPU has always 8gb soldered Ram + 1 free Slot, so that's fine.

Hey! I was looking for a new laptop and I found a few options but I can't decide which one because the reviews seem very mixed about which is better. So to be clear Intel Core i5 vs Ryzen 5 5500 and Intel Iris Xe vs AMD Radeon Vega 7(rx the mobile one). Can you tell me from both  comparisons which is better?

Laptops can perform very differently depending on e.g. their cooling. Even the same CPU can perform completely different depending on the model they're in. So don't just look at the CPU and say: Oh, this one is faster. Take a look at reviews of the particular laptop models you want and compare those. Do not compare their raw specs.

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

3 minutes ago, AlexStarr said:

What the core i5 

What do you mean? Core i5 is better? What about the GPU?

1 minute ago, stefanmz said:

What core i5 model N gen

2 minutes ago, stefanmz said:

They're asking which Core i5 in particular you're talking about. Ryzen 5 5500 is a specific CPU model. Core i5 doesn't mean anything without a model number. E.g. i5-3570K or i5-12600K, there's a world of difference.

6 minutes ago, AlexStarr said:

What core i5 model N gen

Well the Core i5 1135G7 and the 11300H

2 minutes ago, stefanmz said:

Personally would go with the 11300h because it can run pcie gen 4 while amd 5000 doesn't run pcie gen 4  and i think the 11300h is more powerf than 1135g7

45 minutes ago, AlexStarr said:

Personally would go with the 11300h because it can run pcie gen 4 while amd 5000 doesn't run pcie gen 4  and i think the 11300h is more powerf than 1135g7

Cool thanks! What about the GPU though? And how is i5 I mentioned compared to Ryzen 5 5500? Also I am gonna leave this unsolved for now so I can get as many answers as possible so if anyone else wants to take part, they are welcome to do so.

55 minutes ago, Eigenvektor said:

Laptops can perform very differently depending on e.g. their cooling. Even the same CPU can perform completely different depending on the model they're in. So don't just look at the CPU and say: Oh, this one is faster. Take a look at reviews of the particular laptop models you want and compare those. Do not compare their raw specs.

Yeah but I want to narrow the specs first and then I will compare the laptops that are even worth looking at specwise(you know I don't want know spec) so I want to make sure it's up to spec first.

Better at what?
Battery life?
Gaming performance?
Browsing?

Are they the same price?

Are they the exact same machine but just different hardware?

You can't really directly compare laptops like that, if they're not in the same chassis.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

59 minutes ago, dizmo said:

Better at what?
Battery life?
Gaming performance?
Browsing?

Are they the same price?

Are they the exact same machine but just different hardware?

You can't really directly compare laptops like that, if they're not in the same chassis.

Mostly day to day tasks but they have to be fast so they have to be ready to complete harder more performance demanding tasks as well and possibly gaming in the future. So  basically speed at everything. Which one should I choose for that

4 hours ago, stefanmz said:

Mostly day to day tasks but they have to be fast so they have to be ready to complete harder more performance demanding tasks as well and possibly gaming in the future. So  basically speed at everything. Which one should I choose for that

Unless you're doing tasks that consist of copying a ton of files over a fast enough network connection, I'd say PCIe 4.0 is a non-concern in a laptop at this point in time (and is irrelevant if the particular laptop has no PCIe 4.0 NVMe to begin with).

The i5-11300H comes in two variants, 28W and 35W, while the i5-1135G7 comes in 12W and 28W. The 11300H should be more performant, but if the laptop is using the 28W variant or has crappy cooling it also might not be. The R5 5500U meanwhile is supposedly able to compete with some Intel 45W CPUs. You can use sites like notebookcheck.net to compare theirs raw specs.

I would look at laptop reviews with any of these. The Intel CPU will likely have better single core performance, while the AMD CPU will be better at multi-threading (4 vs 6 cores). As I said above, the laptop chassis can make a huge difference, the technically faster CPU can easily be crippled by sub-par cooling.

The Radeon RX Vega 7 in the R5 should beat the Intel Iris Xe Graphics 80EU, again depending on how good the laptop's cooling is and e.g. if the manufacturer decided to configure their parts with a lower TDP.

You might also want to look at battery life, depending on how often you expect to use it away from a power outlet. I'd also take noise level into consideration. Your head is typically much closer to a laptop than it is to a desktop and tiny fans in a laptop can get very annoying very quickly.

11 hours ago, stefanmz said:

Cool thanks! What about the GPU though? And how is i5 I mentioned compared to Ryzen 5 5500? Also I am gonna leave this unsolved for now so I can get as many answers as possible so if anyone else wants to take part, they are welcome to do so.

I think the i5 ones are around the same in frames while vs amd i think amd would be better at igpu

12 hours ago, stefanmz said:

First one, ignore the second one. It has also only 4 Cores, draws more power, and has not much more performance.

A Ryzen 5 5500u is faster. Single Core is slightly slower, but it has 6 Cores, that gives it higher Multicore Performance. at a much lower Power draw.

Intel's XE 80/96 Graphic is a bit faster than AMD's Vega 7~ IGPs, however the Vega Chip has a bit better Driver support for Games. It might give you less Problems in Games.

Depending on the Price of the Laptop, the Intel 4 Core 11th Gen models are fine. The G7 models (28w U-series), and the -H Series too.

But if you can get 6 Cores with less powerdraw and better efficiency (Intel's efficiency is the worst), take that. Unless you need Intel for Thunderbolt.

PCIe 3 vs. 4 doesn't matter. If you have so heavy Workloads, those 4 Intel Cores will already Bottleneck you.

Keep in Mind: A Laptop has more to it than just which CPU is included. Name the Model, otherwise you can't even compare the CPUs, since they can be configured differently in each Model.

There are i5 1165G7 laptops, where the CPU only manages 4500 Multicore points, and others where it manages 5900 Points.

Also, there are things like Build quality, Pricerange, Displayquality, Batterylife, etc. Maybe there are even better options than those 2 mysterious Laptops you have chosen.

10 hours ago, Darkseth said:

First one, ignore the second one. It has also only 4 Cores, draws more power, and has not much more performance.

A Ryzen 5 5500u is faster. Single Core is slightly slower, but it has 6 Cores, that gives it higher Multicore Performance. at a much lower Power draw.

Intel's XE 80/96 Graphic is a bit faster than AMD's Vega 7~ IGPs, however the Vega Chip has a bit better Driver support for Games. It might give you less Problems in Games.

Depending on the Price of the Laptop, the Intel 4 Core 11th Gen models are fine. The G7 models (28w U-series), and the -H Series too.

But if you can get 6 Cores with less powerdraw and better efficiency (Intel's efficiency is the worst), take that. Unless you need Intel for Thunderbolt.

PCIe 3 vs. 4 doesn't matter. If you have so heavy Workloads, those 4 Intel Cores will already Bottleneck you.

Keep in Mind: A Laptop has more to it than just which CPU is included. Name the Model, otherwise you can't even compare the CPUs, since they can be configured differently in each Model.

There are i5 1165G7 laptops, where the CPU only manages 4500 Multicore points, and others where it manages 5900 Points.

Also, there are things like Build quality, Pricerange, Displayquality, Batterylife, etc. Maybe there are even better options than those 2 mysterious Laptops you have chosen.

Thanks! That's a very informative and helpful answer! We'll I guess I should share the models, they are from a local site but you can Google the models.  https://ardes.bg/product/hp-15s-eq2017nu-5b2u2ea-267691

https://ardes.bg/product/acer-aspire-5-a515-45-r57g-nx-a84ex-014-237383

https://www.emag.bg/laptop-hp-15-dw3034nq-intelr-coretm-i5-1135g7-15-6-ram-8gb-ssd-512gb-intelr-irisr-x-graphics-free-dos-jet-black-3b0n8ea/pd/DZ2BVTMBM/

https://www.jarcomputers.com/Asus-X515EA-BQ943-90NB0TY2-M23460_prod_NBASUS90NB0TY2M16080.html

Thanks, that helps.

HP-15: Quite "low End" quality wise (so do treat it with a bit more care, and you should be fine for years), but should have 2 Ram Slots.

Acer Aspire 5: Should be a bit better quality wise. But it has Soldered Ram + 1 Free Slot.

Either it's a 4gb soldered + 4gb Stick, so 8gb good  Dual Channel. Not much, especially not for Gaming. You should be sure to have a Model with 8gb Soldered, so you can put another 8gb inside for a total of 16gb Dual Channel.

4gb Soldered + 16gb Stick works for a total of 20gb Ram. But only 8gb will run in Dual Channel, 12gb will run in Single Channel. It's Random where the Data land s, so your Game fps could drop half the time.

HP-15 with Intel: Same as first one, 2 Ram Slots. And solid CPU and GPU Perfromance, if you prefer Intel over AMD. I personally would chose Ryzen 5 5500u tho.

Asus X515 similar with Acer Aspire 5. 4 gb Soldered Ram + 1 Free Slot. There are Configurations with 8gb + 8gb.

Acer + Asus:  Those Models that are sold with 8gb Ram usually have 4gb Soldered + 4 gb Stick.

Soo.. I would probably take one of the HP-15 here, since having 2 full Ram Slots can be quite good for the future. 

Depending on your Budget, you might wanna go a bit above to like a Thinkpad E14 G3/G4, HP ProBook 445 G8  (or the new G9), Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro series, Asus Zenbook. Preferably with 16gb Ram.

Thinkpad E14 with AMD CPU has always 8gb soldered Ram + 1 free Slot, so that's fine.

9 hours ago, Darkseth said:

Thanks, that helps.

Ok awesome thanks!