Dell G7 7588 running hot (>90 deg.) and stuttering in game

DanielJoseph97

Hey guys,

So I'm running a 2019 Dell G7 7588 with i7-8750H and Nvdia 1060 Max-Q. The first year, I had little to no issues playing games. This last year however has been a nightmare.

Lot of stuttering and freezing issues while running games. I explored the forums here and found similar issues like the CPU throttling at 0.8 Mhz and BD Prochot, both of which I was able to fix with ThrottleStop.

However I'm still facing the stuttering issues over prolonged gaming sessions with CPU temps above 90 and GPU I'm guessing in the 90's as well.
Also when gaming, the CPU doesn't maintain a constant clock speed, it keeps fluctuating which is quite visible in game. Is there a way I can get the temps down and maintain a constant CPU speed, even if that means I'm running a more compromised setup? I'm aware the Dell G7 has an abismal heat sink as well.

MSI Afterburner should work with most laptop GPUs. While typically its used for overclocking, you can also use it to underclock/undervolt your GPU. There's some information on that here.

I have used Afterburner but the switches for changing the voltages are greyed out which I guess means I can't change them. Same goes with Turbo ratio options in Throttlestop are greyed out as well.