Tips on gaming keyboard purchase

Brumes

My old Logitech G110 has died in an unfortunate tea related accident, so I am looking for a new KB.

I however don't really know what brands to avoid/are good.

Some important points:

• Must have at least a few macro keys like the Logitech G keys.
  • Must at least have media keys for play and pause.
  • Must have some form of programmable RBG back/keylight.
  • Must be a normal sized KB with a numpad.

Switches wise I have no idea what I prefer as I used this G110 for years, just that it shouldn't be too loud. 

Wired or wireless doesn't really matter to me.

I'd like some recommendations on what brands or specific keyboards to look at, and maybe other things I should pay attention to.

Well switches are really just preference. If you want silent switches it's a good idea to look at cherry mx red silent switches. Do not buy blue switches of any kind (clicky/loud). Linear/red switches are nice in my opinion, maybe you want brown/tactile for typing though. They give you a little "bump" as a feedback when you press the key (hence tactile). Linears just bottom out without feedback, so if you press them halfway you can't be sure if the key registered or not. Again that's just preference I just think linear switches feel nice to type on, and generally they are regarded as "better for gaming".

The first thing I would consider though is your budget. Think about how much you want to spend and then look at different options.

If you look up mechanical keyboards there is a whole rabbit hole, where people love keyboards for stuff like build quality, sound, feel, and of course looks. You can spend a ton on custom boards put in your own switches and keycaps and so on. 

But you already have a few considerations - media keys, dedicated macro keys, full size, RGB. From that description you are looking for a gaming keyboard instead.

After setting your budget, the best way to go about it is to go to your local store and try them out, there are tons of gaming keyboards with those particular features. It's also the best way to try out switches see if you like red or brown.

You could of course dive deeper into the topic, since it's a cool hobby, but if you just want to buy one and be done with it, choosing from the 3 basic types (red blue brown/ linear clicky tactile) and trying them out a bit in a store is really enough consideration.

Is there any brands that should be avoided or recommended in general? or it it really all just preference?

Well I had a good Corsair keyboard before, it was the K63 really great (at least for the price of 40€). At the time I didn't have too much to spend and I wanted media keys, so I got exactly what I wanted and it had original cherry red switches and good build quality. I tend to avoid recommending brands though because every brand can have good and bad products, I would rather look at individual reviews for specific products. That way you can look at price and features, and if you find a match you can look up if that particular keyboard breaks easily or has other problems and avoid it, or if it has good reviews you can buy it.