Old PC shuts down after few minutes from startup

Kongoloxiii

Hi everyone  ^^

As the title said, my old (which used as family PC + Plex server) now having the issue of not staying on. It will shut completely after few minutes, sometimes even b4 windows loads up. and the motherboard lights turns off completely until I turn off/on the PSU.

So far, i could get into the BIOS and all temps are good and nice (CPU in 40s, motherboard in 30s). And i could get into windows safe mode and it stays stable for hours w/o any issue.

PC specs: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/FjV3bh
PSU: Thermaltake TR2-800AH2NFB 800W

My gut feeling its the PSU

Thanks in advance  (^.^)mb

Sounds like a PSU issue to me. I have heard plenty of bad things about those TR2 PSUs, and I even had one die in my own computer. The thing caused a spark somewhere on my motherboard, but somehow the board lived (it's still in use today). 

I'd recommend replacing that PSU even if it worked, so hopefully that's the only issue here. 

Phobos: AMD Ryzen 7 2700, 16GB 3000MHz DDR4, ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 8GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 2070, 2GB Nvidia GeForce GT 1030, 1TB Samsung SSD 980, 450W Corsair CXM, Corsair Carbide 175R, Windows 10 Pro

Polaris: Intel Xeon E5-2697 v2, 32GB 1600MHz DDR3, ASRock X79 Extreme6, 12GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 3080, 6GB Nvidia GeForce GTX 1660 Ti, 1TB Crucial MX500, 750W Corsair RM750, Antec SX635, Windows 10 Pro

Pluto: Intel Core i7-2600, 32GB 1600MHz DDR3, ASUS P8Z68-V, 4GB XFX AMD Radeon RX 570, 8GB ASUS AMD Radeon RX 570, 1TB Samsung 860 EVO, 3TB Seagate BarraCuda, 750W EVGA BQ, Fractal Design Focus G, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

York (NAS): Intel Core i5-2400, 16GB 1600MHz DDR3, HP Compaq OEM, 240GB Kingston V300 (boot), 3x2TB Seagate BarraCuda, 320W HP PSU, HP Compaq 6200 Pro, TrueNAS CORE (12.0)

2 minutes ago, BondiBlue said:

Sounds like a PSU issue to me. I have heard plenty of bad things about those TR2 PSUs, and I even had one die in my own computer. The thing caused a spark somewhere on my motherboard, but somehow the board lived (it's still in use today). 

I'd recommend replacing that PSU even if it worked, so hopefully that's the only issue here. 

Yeah i was think its the PSU, but just wana make sure.. don't want to spend 100-80$ and find out i still have the issue.

Visually check the motherboard. Look for electrolytic capacitors and see if any have a bulged top. I had one a year ago, replaced it and the computer still works. The other place is in the PSU and capacitors in it.

Presumably you don't have the tools or skills to replace these but at least it tends to tell you where the fault might be.

Here's a video explaining how to test your ATX power supply...

https://youtu.be/Tr70VyoACPg

I don't badmouth others' input, I'd appreciate others not badmouthing mine. *** More below ***

MODERATE TO SEVERE AUTISTIC, COMPLICATED WITH COVID FOG

Due to the above, I've likely revised posts <30 min old, and do not think as you do.

THINK BEFORE YOU REPLY!

26 minutes ago, An0maly_76 said:

Here's a video explaining how to test your ATX power supply...

https://youtu.be/Tr70VyoACPg

That would require a multimeter which i dont have 😕

So if its the PSU, ill get a Seasonic PSU. but how much wattage should i get? according to PCpartpick i needed 460wat, so a minimum of 500wat is ok?

8 minutes ago, Kongoloxiii said:

So if its the PSU, ill get a Seasonic PSU. but how much wattage should i get? according to PCpartpick i needed 460wat, so a minimum of 500wat is ok?

I wouldn't be that close to your peak capacity. I'd say 550-600. Power supplies have a way of dropping efficiency as they get closer to their peak load.

I don't badmouth others' input, I'd appreciate others not badmouthing mine. *** More below ***

MODERATE TO SEVERE AUTISTIC, COMPLICATED WITH COVID FOG

Due to the above, I've likely revised posts <30 min old, and do not think as you do.

THINK BEFORE YOU REPLY!

Ok, so found a Seasonic B12 BC 750w for about 100$, would that be good?

Unless the pc is working at max capacity there is no need for 750w psu for an old family pc. It probably consumes about 200w 90% of the time.

7 minutes ago, lafrente said:

Unless the pc is working at max capacity there is no need for 750w psu for an old family pc. It probably consumes about 200w 90% of the time.

I agree, but its the cheapest Seasonic I found lol. and probably good for the long term i guess.

1 hour ago, Kongoloxiii said:

I have a few and my mother's one as well. She bought her one about 50 years ago.

Not having a multimeter, how do you check batteries to see if they are good?

49 minutes ago, RollyShed said:

I have a few and my mother's one as well. She bought her one about 50 years ago.

Not having a multimeter, how do you check batteries to see if they are good?

I check by using them, if no power then they no good   😛

2 hours ago, Kongoloxiii said:

I check by using them, if no power then they no good   😛

So no tools to do technical things with. Take the computer to a shop and get them to look at it.

All of our family's attitude has been, know how to fix "it" and then fix "it".

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone,

So i got new PSU and installed it, it worked fine for about 12hours then it started again. Shutting down after few moments from windows startup.

So i am not sure what to do  😕.. could it be cause i have 5 storage drives and 3 external drives? or maybe a corrupt windows?  or maybe its the motherboard (god forbid  😟 )

So I did few tests, opened BIOS for extended of time (maybe 5min) and it shutdown, so that excludes corrupted windows theory. Then i found out that not all RAMs are present(See attached photo) where it suppose to have 64GB RAM, so I thought maybe one of the sticks are the culprit. Then i checked one by, and same thing keeps happening.
20220828_093423.thumb.jpg.41d973175fb3fdbfc47a8fa4fb41c139.jpg