Looking for a display setup

Ssoele

I want to go for a nice display setup for my gaming build. I'd prefer a triple monitor setup, but space is limited.

I only have a available width of 1.2m (~50").

My 2 main ideas are the following

3x Dell P2214H, the problem with this is that I don't know if it would fit, the monitors are about 48cm in width, so that would need to be in quite a curve to fit.

My second idea is to have 1 big monitor and 2 smaller once in portrait next to it, but how does this work out for gaming? the height of the main monitor would need to be the same is the width of the ones in portrait and the PPI also needs to be the same. Does anyone knows some good monitors for this?

My budget is not yet decided on, but the cheaper the better (I'm thinking of around a 1000 EUR max) :D

we have some similar dell monitors in school and if those are the same i would not recommend them because the space between the pixels is really big and I find it annoying.

and I know mkbhd had a 30'' dell monitor with a dell 1600x900 display next to it

PC specs.3570k, asus p8z77m pro, 8gb corsair vengence 1600MHz, XFX 550w, seagate barracuda 1TB, MSI 660ti, cooler master k350, cooler master hyper tx3 evo.

we have some similar dell monitors in school and if those are the same i would not recommend them because the space between the pixels is really big and I find it annoying.

and I know mkbhd had a 30'' dell monitor with a dell 1600x900 display next to it

It's not the space, it's the film grain. P2414h and p23 solves that problem somewhat.

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

It's not the space, it's the film grain. P2414h and p23 solves that problem somewhat.

oh ok

PC specs.3570k, asus p8z77m pro, 8gb corsair vengence 1600MHz, XFX 550w, seagate barracuda 1TB, MSI 660ti, cooler master k350, cooler master hyper tx3 evo.

dont think you can surround or eyefinity with different sized monitors

Proud Member of the Glorious PC Master Race

Honestly, it might not be worth going for 3 monitors when you're willing to spend an amount like that (assuming 3 x the Dell rrp of $229).

With such limited space you might want to look into a 27" monitor and save a couple hundred dollars, while also saving hassle. You can get some extremely nice monitors from Samsung and ASUS in particular, but other will do the trick.

If you're stuck on the tri-screen idea, go for it! It's your setup after all! :)

Madness can be a medicine for the modern world.

- Dr. Hannibal Lecter

Honestly, it might not be worth going for 3 monitors when you're willing to spend an amount like that (assuming 3 x the Dell rrp of $229).

With such limited space you might want to look into a 27" monitor and save a couple hundred dollars, while also saving hassle. You can get some extremely nice monitors from Samsung and ASUS in particular, but other will do the trick.

If you're stuck on the tri-screen idea, go for it! It's your setup after all! :)

its quite nice if you need the space, i use 4 monitors, 3 of which i can put in surround :) and it is a cool feeling even if it doesnt look as good as one might hope since devs hate FOV and wont ever give you the FOV you need for surround

dont think you can surround or eyefinity with different sized monitors

You can. But you need the same amount of pixels on the portrait ones. Like for example 2560x1440 and 1440x900's would work. Or 2560x1600 and 1600x900's.

OP, how about just getting a 21:9?

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

You can. But you need the same amount of pixels on the portrait ones. Like for example 2560x1440 and 1440x900's would work. Or 2560x1600 and 1600x900's.

OP, how about just getting a 21:9?

oh yea, that super wide screen that Linus showed.. I recommend that over using surround for gaming, it looked amazing.

Spoiler

Do you have lots of vertical space? perhaps 3 monitors in portrait would do you better?

One option is to get an arm such as this one that is seen on tek syndicate all the time, although quite expensive to purchase monitor arm(s).

(pretty large picture) http://i.imgur.com/tfsGXpZ.jpg?1

Another option, buy a new desk may provide a less expensive method instead of monitor arms.

From experience with surround, the resolution of your smallest monitor will be set to all monitors, 1920 x 1080 and 2x (1200 x 800). 1200x 800 will be set to all monitors.

I want to go for a nice display setup for my gaming build. I'd prefer a triple monitor setup, but space is limited.

I only have a available width of 1.2m (~50").

My 2 main ideas are the following

3x Dell P2214H, the problem with this is that I don't know if it would fit, the monitors are about 48cm in width, so that would need to be in quite a curve to fit.

My second idea is to have 1 big monitor and 2 smaller once in portrait next to it, but how does this work out for gaming? the height of the main monitor would need to be the same is the width of the ones in portrait and the PPI also needs to be the same. Does anyone knows some good monitors for this?

My budget is not yet decided on, but the cheaper the better (I'm thinking of around a 1000 EUR max) :D

Use the quote or multiquote, for faster responses \/ \/

Won't fit.

Are you sure, have you tried measuring it in this form?

http://gyazo.com/da5a9538032f8070476888e81aba5d7d

Edit: Don't be jealous of my paint skills.

Case: Corsair 460X RGB bby, CPU: I5 8600K, Motherboard: MSI B360M PRO-VDH, RAM: 8GB Hyper X 2400MHz , Graphics Card: GTX1060 6GB, PSU: Corsair RM750x,

Cooler: BEQuiet!  Pure Rock Slim SSD: Kingston 240GB, HDD: 2TB Seagate Barracuda

If you have space to overhang each side of the desk then grab a stand, if not and that's all the room you have I'd personally ditch the surround and pick up a big fat 30" 1600P monitor

Are you sure, have you tried measuring it in this form?

http://gyazo.com/da5a9538032f8070476888e81aba5d7d

Edit: Don't be jealous of my paint skills.

2gs0pHi.png

Straight line is 240 pixels (120cm) and the monitors are 106 pixels (53cm) side ones are rotated 30 degrees and it's still not even close.

Paint.NET master race.

Spoiler

http://shop.easymountlcd.com/Deluxe-Triple-Monitor-Stand-Free-Standing-up-to-28-002-0020-002-0020.htm

Should help solve your space dilemma.

I have that exact same stand. It's cheap, I'd give it a 3.5/5 stars

I couldn't get my monitors to all be exactly the same height. The angle is great considering I use TN panels. But my OCD kicks in and it irks me that the side monitors are like 1/8in lower than the middle.

When gaming in surround I don't notice though

http://shop.easymountlcd.com/Deluxe-Triple-Monitor-Stand-Free-Standing-up-to-28-002-0020-002-0020.htm

Should help solve your space dilemma.

I have that exact same stand. It's cheap, I'd give it a 3.5/5 stars

I couldn't get my monitors to all be exactly the same height. The angle is great considering I use TN panels. But my OCD kicks in and it irks me that the side monitors are like 1/8in lower than the middle.

When gaming in surround I don't notice though

The stand itself is bigger than 120cm so how does that help.

Spoiler

If you have room for a monitor stand you could get 3x1080p monitors. You could then put one, or both, of the ones on the sides as portrait.

So it looks like this?  :lol: 002-0020D7_WM.jpg

Spoiler

2gs0pHi.png

Straight line is 240 pixels (120cm) and the monitors are 106 pixels (53cm) side ones are rotated 30 degrees and it's still not even close.

Paint.NET master race.

You could have them hanging off the edge of your desk?

http://gyazo.com/66c898e062f4e2649a7498aaa15e55dc

Case: Corsair 460X RGB bby, CPU: I5 8600K, Motherboard: MSI B360M PRO-VDH, RAM: 8GB Hyper X 2400MHz , Graphics Card: GTX1060 6GB, PSU: Corsair RM750x,

Cooler: BEQuiet!  Pure Rock Slim SSD: Kingston 240GB, HDD: 2TB Seagate Barracuda

He probably can't because if he could he wouldn't ask.

Spoiler

All 3 in portrait.

You get a better aspect ratio anyways 3240x1920 vs 5760x1080

There are almost no monitors that have slim bottom and top bezels.

Spoiler

I think the OP should hire you on as his personal shopper. You seem to know more about what he needs more than he does.

I'm doing it for free already so why bother.  B)

Spoiler

The monitors are already hanging over the sides with the 1.2m.