Ryzen Upgrade NO POST

Hello, I upgraded my CPU from a Ryzen 3600 to a Ryzen 5800x, and now it’s not posting.

I thought it was most likely that I didn’t update my BIOS to a version where it will support the new CPU, but when I swapped back to the old CPU it’s also not posting. It was working perfectly fine yesterday before I put the new CPU in today. I have removed the CMOS, short it and put it back in. I have unplugged the GPU and replugged it, I have removed the RAM and reinstalled them, try to start with just one stick and I have swapped the cables to the display (HDMI and DisplayPort) and none of them have worked. I've checked that every cable is connected to the MB, disconnected all peripherals (except K&M)...Fans and LEDs turn on so I don’t know what else to do, I would appreciate it if someone helped me.

Monitors work since I've tried them with my laptop and they show image.

Specs:

Ryzen 3600 (upgrading to 5800x)

MB ASUS PRIME B550M-A (I've checked the site and it's compatible)

EVGA RTX 3060

Kingston Fury 16GB x2

WD Blue SN550 NVMe SSD 500GB (boot drive)

Kingston SSD 1TB (disconnected to try to post)

Seagate HDD 1TB (disconnected to try to post)

PS 650W Cooler Master Masterwatt Semimodular

Thanks.

51 minutes ago, Mijashtag said:

MB ASUS PRIME B550M-A

Does this mobo have the  crash free BIOS feature

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

Like Fasauceome suggested, I see on their website that they have a crash free BIOS feature, it's worth a shot. Relevant page from the manual below:

image.thumb.png.7189ce897f6106f408b55baa72919b72.png

Edit: sorry for the massive screenshot

Thank you both, I'll try that. If not, I'll come back and see if there's anything else I can try.

No success with CrashFree BIOS 3 😞 I followed ASUS instructions but nothing shows up on the screen...like if the GPU isn't sending any signal to the monitor (no matter which port I connect it to).

Any other suggestions?

You can use the disk that came with the board to install the factory shipped bios. Unplug and remove all other drives, put the 3600 in and boot from the DVD. Even if the bios is toast, the board will post from the image anyways. 

If this proceedure doesn't work ( yes something should appear on the screen) then I would say to RMA the motherboard.

Sadly I don't have a DVD drive to run the disk, that's why I was trying to flash the BIOS from the USB drive (I removed/unplugged all drives). Also, I bought the MB almost 2 years ago...so I don't think it qualifies for RMA anymore.

Just now, Mijashtag said:

Sadly I don't have a DVD drive to run the disk, that's why I was trying to flash the BIOS from the USB drive (I removed/unplugged all drives). Also, I bought the MB almost 2 years ago...so I don't think it qualifies for RMA anymore.

3 year warranty except the TUF non-gaming series which is 5 years.

The DVD is your only recovery option because the board does Not support flash back. 

30 minutes ago, Guest 5150 said:

3 year warranty except the TUF non-gaming series which is 5 years.

The DVD is your only recovery option because the board does Not support flash back. 

It's weird because in the website, the CrashFree BIOS utility is listed as part of the features for the motherboard

https://www.asus.com/Motherboards-Components/Motherboards/PRIME/PRIME-B550M-A/techspec/

Anyway, I'll try to get an optical drive...you think an external one would work?

2 minutes ago, Mijashtag said:

It's weird because in the website, the CrashFree BIOS utility is listed as part of the features for the motherboard

https://www.asus.com/Motherboards-Components/Motherboards/PRIME/PRIME-B550M-A/techspec/

Anyway, I'll try to get an optical drive...you think an external one would work?

You want a Sata DVD drive in sata port 1. Not a USB drive no. 

If it doesn't post from that DVD, RMA or a new board is your option. 

You may use this thread during the RMA process as well.

20 minutes ago, Guest 5150 said:

You want a Sata DVD drive in sata port 1. Not a USB drive no. 

If it doesn't post from that DVD, RMA or a new board is your option. 

You may use this thread during the RMA process as well.

Got it, thanks. I've sent an email to ASUS support, hopefully I'll get a solution from them. I'll keep you updated.

Well, quick update. I contacted my local ASUS support (I'm in Mexico) and they suggested almost everything you already told me. Tried everything again and still no video output, so the MB should be sent to ASUS for repairs.

BUT surprise, according to the S/N the MB was imported to Mexico, so they can't give me any support here and I have to run everything through ASUS USA. It seems it's gonna be easier, cheaper and faster to by a new one 😞