Is 600w for a 290 enough?

Prömetheus

^

"THE RED ARMY"

| INTEL i5 4690K | GIGABYTE Z97X GAMING 3 | XFX R9 390X | CORSAIR VENGEANCE PRO 4x2 8GB 1600Mhz | CORSAIR H80i | XFX XTR 650W | 1TB WESTERN DIGITAL CAVIAR BLUE | ADATA SP600 256GB | LOGITECH G502 | CORSAIR VENGEANCE 1400 | CORSAIR K70 MECHANICAL RED | NZXT S340 |

A 600w unit can indeed power a 290, but without knowing the exact unit, we can't tell you for sure. There are trash out there that can't supply half of that for a modern day system.

More than enough. for two? ehh... not so much...

LOL.. i'm not going for crossfire but i'm gonna some light overclocking to the gpu :D

"THE RED ARMY"

| INTEL i5 4690K | GIGABYTE Z97X GAMING 3 | XFX R9 390X | CORSAIR VENGEANCE PRO 4x2 8GB 1600Mhz | CORSAIR H80i | XFX XTR 650W | 1TB WESTERN DIGITAL CAVIAR BLUE | ADATA SP600 256GB | LOGITECH G502 | CORSAIR VENGEANCE 1400 | CORSAIR K70 MECHANICAL RED | NZXT S340 |

A 600w unit can indeed power a 290, but without knowing the exact unit, we can't tell you for sure. There are trash out there that can't supply half of that for a modern day system.

I will use a CX600 from Corsair i think it's a good power supply isn't it?

"THE RED ARMY"

Ehh, I'm a noob when it comes to this stuff, but yeah it would be enough.  Quite personally I would go with a 700watt or 650watt just because that makes me feel more at ease.  But yeah, should be enough.  Just remember to get a power supply that is decent, at least 80+ bronze and 600watts should be enough.  

Ehh, I'm a noob when it comes to this stuff, but yeah it would be enough.  Quite personally I would go with a 700watt or 650watt just because that makes me feel more at ease.  But yeah, should be enough.  Just remember to get a power supply that is decent, at least 80+ bronze and 600watts should be enough.  

Yep, got a Corsair CX600 with a 80+ bronze certified :D

"THE RED ARMY"

yeah, its pretty good.   I use a Seasonic 550watt G series 80+ gold psu.  I'm sure you would do okay with it.  However, even though that will be fine for a more balanced out system I would go for modular one, its allot easier to manage.  

Yep, got a Corsair CX600 with a 80+ bronze certified :D

nice!  If you've already got it, dont bother getting another one.  That will do just fine, :)

nice!  If you've already got it, dont bother getting another one.  That will do just fine, :)

Ok then! Thanks for the help all who answer! No doubt for the PSU :D

"THE RED ARMY"

It's a good entry-level power supply. If you already got it, then it would be fine for your system. If you are buying it, then if you want an alternative, it would be helpful to know your budget and if you can provide links to where you are able to buy from.

Ok then! Thanks for the help all who answer! No doubt for the PSU :D

Just note, its not the highest quality, it might be a bit loud and its sleeving isn't great.  So it wont look or sound the part, but it will work. 

The R9 290 has a potential draw of 300 watts.

75w from mobo

75w from 6 Pin

150w from 8 Pin

That's all on the +12v rail. Which also needs to power the CPU and Motherboard. So factor that in.

Sata + Molex run off a different rail. Usually about 10-20% of the rated PSU wattage is allocated to that.

Personally I'd say 600w is the minimum you should go for.

Yeah good enough... However it's loud as balls and ugly. 

maybe if you know how to open up a PSU, you can replace the fan, look for tutorials on the internet. this will, however, void your warranty.

If you want the best answer on the best wattage, make a PCpartpicker build and it will show you the wattage, you should always get a PSU with about 100 watts over that amount.

if you don't tell us which R9 290 we will not know the wattage, different GPU's from different manufacturers sometimes have a different wattage, unless you are talking about the reference one.

if you want to do some minor overclocking, I think that you should maybe bump up the wattage of the PSU by 50-100 watts, I am not sure because I have never done overclocking on PC, only overclocking on android.