What can you do with a flagship phone?

VirusDumb
1 hour ago, VirusDumb said:

That's just, shocking, paying more than 700€ on something that doesn't last atleast 5 years without any issues is disappointing, specially if you bought it on EMI like my uncle did

In the smartphone space, especially Android, if your phone lasts longer than 2 years that's already impressive. At least that was the mindset in the 2010's. Things are changing now as new phone sales demand is falling drastically likely because everyone has phones that stay relevant longer than before. 

As a reference for how much things have changed, people praised LG for having 2 years of updates where as 5 years now ASUS is getting shit on because they'll be offering only 3 years worth of updates.

And why would you be disappointed in a phone where all the damage has been caused by the user? I don't use a case. I've kept the phone at 2% or 100% most of its life. Dropped in multiple times. Never cared for it and it's still running. I swear if I had any other brand phone like an iPhone it'd have stopped working within in 300th drop.

You might have a case with the OS support but none of my casual apps have a problem. The only reason that's an issue for me is because I want enthusiast software on my phone, and most indie devs don't bother with old software as it already is hard enough to keep their project running on the latest OS.

Desktop: Ryzen 7 5800X3D - Kraken X62 Rev 2 - STRIX X470-I - 3600MHz 32GB Kingston Fury - 250GB 970 Evo boot - 2x 500GB 860 Evo - 1TB P3 - 4TB HDD - RX6800 - RMx 750 W 80+ Gold - Manta - Silent Wings Pro 4's enjoyer

SetupZowie XL2740 27.0" 240hz - Roccat Burt Pro Corsair K70 LUX browns - PC38X - Mackie CR5X's

Current build on PCPartPicker

1 hour ago, Commodus said:

It's been ultra-thin glass for a while. It's still more fragile than regular glass and still produces a crease, but it's not that delicate and isn't guaranteed to break the screen. I know of heavy-duty Z Fold 3 users who haven't had any crease problems. 

No it’s not. The top layer of the display is still plastic and after moderate use it does break. Especially on the flips. 

1 hour ago, Commodus said:

I'll be honest: it sounds like you made up your mind when the original Galaxy Fold came out and just haven't paid attention to the changes since. I'm not saying everyday users should rush out to buy a Z Fold 4 or Z Flip 4, but things have changed a lot in the past few years.

You’ve been reading too much of the marketing material. Scratches at a level 2 with deeper grooves at a level 3

16 hours ago, VirusDumb said:

But not my dad's oppo f5, which is newer (2017) but everything is coming off, some companies just don't make good enough or durable hardware 

Well, I'm not sure if Oppo is the bottom of the barrel or not, or if the usage is too abusive. For all I know, it might have been just a 'bad batch'...

For the past... I don't know, a decade+, iPhones have been the safest suggestion for the longevity/performance.

I also have Pixel2XL (2017) - act funny sometimes, but still is in one piece. I believe it was budget-to-mid priced if I'm not mistaken.

6 hours ago, rikitikitavi said:

Well, I'm not sure if Oppo is the bottom of the barrel or not, or if the usage is too abusive. For all I know, it might have been just a 'bad batch'...

For the past... I don't know, a decade+, iPhones have been the safest suggestion for the longevity/performance.

I also have Pixel2XL (2017) - act funny sometimes, but still is in one piece. I believe it was budget-to-mid priced if I'm not mistaken.

Well stereotypically reputed companies which have been making phones for a long time(before 2010s) like Samsung and Nokia, even iPhones, they're believed to last longer even in rough uses

On the other Side of the spectrum anything from China are stereotypically considered to be not built that good and not last, so that's why I recommended my uncle to get a Samsung, cuz firstly they are known to be reliable and secondly have service centres and stores everywhere so you can easily get them fixed if you like drop it or get ran over by a car by accident 

45 minutes ago, VirusDumb said:

Well stereotypically reputed companies which have been making phones for a long time(before 2010s) like Samsung and Nokia, even iPhones, they're believed to last longer even in rough uses

On the other Side of the spectrum anything from China are stereotypically considered to be not built that good and not last, so that's why I recommended my uncle to get a Samsung, cuz firstly they are known to be reliable and secondly have service centres and stores everywhere so you can easily get them fixed if you like drop it or get ran over by a car by accident 

The days when you can drop a Nokia on concrete and the concrete smashing are long gone. Just about all brands are fragile. In a way Chinese phones might even be the more stronger ones because they have to make a name for themselves against existing brands. The only way the can do that is by objectively being better than the competitions, from specs, material use to price. UI and other "irrelevant" things take a back seat for Chinese brands.

Desktop: Ryzen 7 5800X3D - Kraken X62 Rev 2 - STRIX X470-I - 3600MHz 32GB Kingston Fury - 250GB 970 Evo boot - 2x 500GB 860 Evo - 1TB P3 - 4TB HDD - RX6800 - RMx 750 W 80+ Gold - Manta - Silent Wings Pro 4's enjoyer

SetupZowie XL2740 27.0" 240hz - Roccat Burt Pro Corsair K70 LUX browns - PC38X - Mackie CR5X's

Current build on PCPartPicker