Brother wants to rebuild his computer need some advice on CPU at price

Stomy
Go to solution Solved by Stomy,

Sounds like the Non X is the way to go thanks for the info guys!

So my brother's computer is getting pretty long in the teeth and im working on a plan for a new one for him. He has a fine motherboard with an X470 MSI Gaming Plus max so looking at either 5600 or 5600x at $179 &199 respectively. Usually the 5600 non X is the smarter price choice but with such a small difference in price is the X worth it for only $20 more? the 5700x is another $50 so didnt figure it was worth it. (likely going with a 3070 Graphics card for bottlenecking questions.)

I think that's how the prices usually are for them. It's pretty much the same cpu so you'd only be paying for the x. I'd get the non x

Mind, the 5700 is actually a massive improvement over the 5600. It's 8 vs 6 cores (and double the threads) so the 5700 is much more powerful. But you pay for it, true.

"You don't need eyes to see, you need vision"

(Faithless, 'Reverence' from the 1996 Reverence album)

8 minutes ago, Dutch_Master said:

Mind, the 5700 is actually a massive improvement over the 5600. It's 8 vs 6 cores (and double the threads) so the 5700 is much more powerful. But you pay for it, true.

In terms of real world performance I wouldn't call it a "massive difference" since both CPUs are on the same architecture and have large amounts of cache. 

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

25 minutes ago, Stomy said:

So my brother's computer is getting pretty long in the teeth and im working on a plan for a new one for him. He has a fine motherboard with an X470 MSI Gaming Plus max so looking at either 5600 or 5600x at $179 &199 respectively. Usually the 5600 non X is the smarter price choice but with such a small difference in price is the X worth it for only $20 more? the 5700x is another $50 so didnt figure it was worth it. (likely going with a 3070 Graphics card for bottlenecking questions.)

Check if you can find a 5600g... It was on sale and chapeer than the non x two weeks ago.

Spoiler

CPU Ryzen 5900X - Motherboard Asus ROG STRIX X570-E - RAM 16GB of G.SKILL NEON 3600 -
GPU EVGA RTX 3080 XC3 - Case Mastercase H500p mesh - PSU Seasonic Focus Gx-850 -
Corsair MP600 NVME 1 Tb, Samsung 960 PRO 500 Gb & 2 Seagate Baracuda 7200 RPM 2TB in stripe -
Display two VG27AQ 2K monitor - Cooling Corsair H150 Pro - 

Keyboard G-910 W/ Romer G tactile - Mouse G 502 Hero (wired) -
Sound Logitech X-530 and Razer Tiamat headphones

Operating System Windows 10

4 minutes ago, Quickstrike said:

Check if you can find a 5600g... It was on sale and chapeer than the non x two weeks ago.

Its like 3$ cheaper

2 minutes ago, Stomy said:

Its like 3$ cheaper

And slightly faster that a 5600 non x. Plus if you ever have a dead GPU, you'll still have a workable computer.

Spoiler

CPU Ryzen 5900X - Motherboard Asus ROG STRIX X570-E - RAM 16GB of G.SKILL NEON 3600 -
GPU EVGA RTX 3080 XC3 - Case Mastercase H500p mesh - PSU Seasonic Focus Gx-850 -
Corsair MP600 NVME 1 Tb, Samsung 960 PRO 500 Gb & 2 Seagate Baracuda 7200 RPM 2TB in stripe -

7 minutes ago, Quickstrike said:

It's usually cheaper than the 5600 because it's a worse cpu 

3 minutes ago, Quickstrike said:

And slightly faster that a 5600 non x. Plus if you ever have a dead GPU, you'll still have a workable computer.

Nevermind that. Get the Non x, The 5600g is better on paper but not in real life

Spoiler

Sounds like the Non X is the way to go thanks for the info guys!

14 hours ago, Fasauceome said:

In terms of real world performance I wouldn't call it a "massive difference" since both CPUs are on the same architecture and have large amounts of cache. 

Yeah it's really dependent on what you are doing with your cpu that matters when comparing 6 vs 8 core cpus. If you are doing productive work that can actually leverage 8 cores then yeah 8 vs 6 is a significant difference. For gaming I find the difference in performance as significant.