Can I use a 6 pin power cable (male to male) to run from psu to sata power cable(has a female port)

Stance
Go to solution Solved by Spotty,
3 minutes ago, Stance said:

20220812_164923.jpg

20220812_164932.jpg

No!!! Do not do that!

So my psu has female slots for input. My sata power also has a female connector for input. I can't put female to female, but I had a pcie power cable, same pins, and has 2 male and 1 female end. So I was hoping to use the 2 male ends to go between the psu and sata power cable. Will this work or will it do bad things to my PC or drives?

20220812_144144.jpg

20220812_144127.jpg

20220812_144131.jpg

Pcie is 12 volt only, if you plug a hard drive into this you will kill it immediately.

Seems to be just a coincidence that it fits

Interesting. The psu says pcie/sata on the port that I would be plugging into. It's strange. What's the reason for even having a sata with a female end on it? Seems unusable without doing a split like I showed of male to male.

5 minutes ago, 8tg said:

Pcie is 12 volt only, if you plug a hard drive into this you will kill it immediately.

Seems to be just a coincidence that it fits

Interesting. The psu says pcie/sata on the port that I would be plugging into. It's strange. What's the reason for even having a sata with a female end on it? Seems unusable without doing a split like I showed of male to male.

5 minutes ago, Stance said:

20220812_164923.jpg

20220812_164932.jpg

What model power supply do you have?

Where did you get that SATA power cable that has that connector on the end of it? Was that included with the power supply?

As 8tg mentioned SATA power requires 12v (yellow cable), 5v (red cable) and sometimes 3.3v (orange cable). The PCIe cable only carries 12V. The SATA power cable does appear to have something under the heatshrink wrap at the end of the connector the PCIe cable is plugged in to which might be a converter taking the 12v and converting to 5v and 3.3v, but without knowing where that SATA cable came from and what it's for, or cutting off the shrink wrap and checking, I can't say and I can't recommend you try it

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

20220812_164923.jpg

20220812_164932.jpg

No!!! Do not do that!

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

Just now, Spotty said:

No!!! Do not do that!

Got it, thanks! Sorry for the confusion. I just wanted to make sure so thanks for the reply. It seemed like a bad idea so glad I didn't do it haha.

11 minutes ago, Stance said:

The psu says pcie/sata on the port that I would be plugging into.

Peripheral is not PCI-e. Peripheral is molex. And the PCI-e cable with the red connectors doesn't belong to the PSU. You're gonna fry everything.

What's the brand and model of the PSU?

40 minutes ago, Stance said:

So my psu has female slots for input. My sata power also has a female connector for input. I can't put female to female, but I had a pcie power cable, same pins, and has 2 male and 1 female end. So I was hoping to use the 2 male ends to go between the psu and sata power cable. Will this work or will it do bad things to my PC or drives?

20220812_144144.jpg

20220812_144127.jpg

20220812_144131.jpg

Let the fire works begin!  😄 😄 😄

1 minute ago, --SID-- said:

Peripheral is not PCI-e. Peripheral is molex. And the PCI-e cable with the red connectors doesn't belong to the PSU. You're gonna fry everything.

What's the brand and model of the PSU?

It's a corsair rm750. I figured using it from the sata psu port would be fine since it was just going to a sata port anyways. I thought the cable would work as a jumper basically. But I'm going to just go get a new sata cable with a male 6 pin end. Better to be safe and spend a few extra bucks then to fry my ssd and hdd.

5 minutes ago, Spotty said:

No!!! Do not do that!

There's a whole lot of WRONG going on here.  Like the fact that it's a Corsair PSU and that's a Thermaltake cable.  This.... this is dangerous stuff we're witnessing.

1 minute ago, Stance said:

It's a corsair rm750. I figured using it from the sata psu port would be fine since it was just going to a sata port anyways. I thought the cable would work as a jumper basically. But I'm going to just go get a new sata cable with a male 6 pin end. Better to be safe and spend a few extra bucks then to fry my ssd and hdd.

Ok.  I get your train of thought.  

Yes.  PATA/SATA is for PATA or SATA drive power.  But you're using a PCIe power cable from a Thermaltake PSU.  The pinout isn't correct.  It's not a one to one cable like an extension cable.  You're going to send "wrong voltages" to the drive and kill it.  Just get a Corsair SATA cable from eBay or Amazon or something.

Just now, jonnyGURU said:

There's a whole lot of WRONG going on here.  Like the fact that it's a Corsair PSU and that's a Thermaltake cable.  This.... this is dangerous stuff we're witnessing.

1 minute ago, jonnyGURU said:

Ok.  I get your train of thought.  

Yes.  PATA/SATA is for PATA or SATA drive power.  But you're using a PCIe power cable from a Thermaltake PSU.  The pinout isn't correct.  It's not a one to one cable like an extension cable.  You're going to send "wrong voltages" to the drive and kill it.  Just get a Corsair SATA cable from eBay or Amazon or something.

Got it. Good to know I wasn't completely crazy with my thinking haha. I'll do that then. Last thing I'm confused on is why I got a sata power cable with a female 6 pin connector. Seems like there is no possible use for it. I would need male to connect to the psu.

Just now, Stance said:

Last thing I'm confused on is why I got a sata power cable with a female 6 pin connector. Seems like there is no possible use for it. I would need male to connect to the psu.

Because that's not a cable that came with that PSU.  

Did you get the PSU used or something?  There should have been a bunch of SATA cables in the box.

Just now, jonnyGURU said:

Because that's not a cable that came with that PSU.  

Did you get the PSU used or something?  There should have been a bunch of SATA cables in the box.

I got it new. I only got one sata cable with 3 ports. But I have 4 drives and my case takes one for the front peripherals I think.

Just now, --SID-- said:

RM750 comes with 2 sata cables with 3 connectors and 1 sata cable with 4 connectors. Take a look in the box.

Oh really. Hmm I'll take a look!

Lost the post i was writing after reloading the page >.> Take 2

Just because a connector physically fits does not mean it belongs. Never plug in a PSU power cable backwards. Only every plug the cables in to the correct slots as they are labelled - never plug a PCIe power cable in to a plug labelled SATA/peripheral or reverse.

That's a Corsair power supply and those are not original or compatible Corsair cables. Like Jon said probably thermaltake since they use those red connectors on PCIe cables. Modular power supply cables are different between different brands and models, they are not interchangeable you must use modular cables designed to be used for that power supply. 

11 minutes ago, Stance said:

But I'm going to just go get a new sata cable with a male 6 pin end. Better to be safe and spend a few extra bucks then to fry my ssd and hdd.

Corsair website has them listed. The product you are looking for is "Corsair type 3 SATA cable" that @--SID-- kindly linked to above.

4 minutes ago, Stance said:

I got it new. I only got one sata cable with 3 ports. But I have 4 drives and my case takes one for the front peripherals I think.

Check the box and the baggy of cables, iirc that rm750 power supply should come with another SATA cable.

also now I'm just curious what that SATA extension cable thing you have is and where you got it from..?

Edited by Spotty

Just now, Spotty said:

Lost the it was writing reloading the page >.>

Just because a connector physically fits does not mean it belongs. Never plug in a PSU power cable backwards. Only every plug the cables in to the correct slots as they are labelled - never plug a PCIe power cable in to a plug labelled SATA/peripheral or reverse.

That's a Corsair power supply and those are not original or compatible Corsair cables. Like Jon said probably thermaltake since they use those red connectors on PCIe cables. Modular power supply cables are different between different brands and models, they are not interchangeable you must use modular cables designed to be used for that power supply. 

Corsair website has them listed. The product you are looking for is "Corsair type 3 SATA cable" that @--SID-- kindly linked to above.

Check the box and the baggy of cables, iirc that rm750 power supply should come with another SATA cable.

also now I'm just curious what that SATA extension cable thing you have is and where you got it from..?

No idea where it came from. I only bought new and I mixed all the stuff together so it could have come from anywhere lol

No idea where it came from. I only bought new and I mixed all the stuff together so it could have come from anywhere lol

It's best not to mix PSU cables. Keep the original Corsair power supply cables in the little Velcro sealed pouch they came with. To sort them out the Corsair cables will have "type 4" printed on the connector that plugs in to the power supply. Please make sure all of the cables you are using are the original Corsair cables.

Corsair SATA cable:

image.png

30 minutes ago, Stance said:

I got it new. I only got one sata cable with 3 ports. 

Then it wasn't new.  If you got it from Amazon, it was probably a return that they threw back on the shelf for re-sale.

The second set of pictures on this page show you everything your PSU should have come with:  https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/corsair-rm750-power-supply,6172.html

Including all of these cables:
image.thumb.png.eda292c3d0e1f9f2f7085208ce7c81f2.png