Boot Time still long after installing NVME SSD

ratquaza

Hey everyone! Currently struggling to determine what exactly is causing my boot time to be long (in my eyes) after I've installed an NVME SSD? I've tried entering Task Manager and disabling certain applications on startup, I've entered my BIOS and changed the boot order to have my SSD be the first one, even reinstalled Windows but my boot time remains to be around 12 seconds.

My PC specs are as follows:

CPU: Intel Core i5 9400 (2.9 GHZ 6CORE)

MOBO: Gigabyte GA-B365M-H Micro ATX

RAM: Crucial 8GB DDR4-2666 x 2 RAM

STORAGE:

Main drive: Crucial P1 1TB M2-2280 NVME SSD

D and E drives: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200RPM HD | Hitachi 7k1000 1TB 7200RPM HD

GPU: MSI GTX 1080 8GB

PSU: be quiet! Pure Power 11 600W 80+ Gold Semimod ATX 

I'm running Windows 11 at the moment, installed on my SSD.

Would anyone know what exactly could be causing the issue or is this just how it be with my hardware? Cheers 😄

from power on to login with a cold boot in 12 Seconds is a good time.

Main System:

Anghammarad : Asrock Taichi x570, AMD Ryzen 7 5800X @4900 MHz. 32 GB DDR4 3600, some NVME SSDs, Gainward Phoenix RTX 3070TI

System 2 "Igluna" AsRock Fatal1ty Z77 Pro, Core I5 3570k @4300, 16 GB Ram DDR3 2133, some SSD, and a 2 TB HDD each, Gainward Phantom 760GTX.

System 3 "Inskah" AsRock Fatal1ty Z77 Pro, Core I5 3570k @4300, 16 GB Ram DDR3 2133, some SSD, and a 2 TB HDD each, Gainward Phantom 760GTX.

On the Road: Acer Aspire 5 Model A515-51G-54FD, Intel Core i5 7200U, 8 GB DDR4 Ram, 120 GB SSD, 1 TB SSD, Intel CPU GFX and Nvidia MX 150, Full HD IPS display

Media System "Vio": Aorus Elite AX V2, Ryzen 7 5700X, 64 GB Ram DDR4 3200 Mushkin, 1 275 GB Crucial MX SSD, 1 tb Crucial MX500 SSD. IBM 5015 Megaraid, 4 Seagate Ironwolf 4TB HDD in raid 5, 4 WD RED 4 tb in another Raid 5, Gainward Phoenix GTX 1060

(Abit Fatal1ty FP9 IN SLI, C2Duo E8400, 6 GB Ram DDR2 800, far too less diskspace, Gainward Phantom 560 GTX broken need fixing)

Nostalgia: Amiga 1200, Tower Build, CPU/FPU/MMU 68EC020, 68030, 68882 @50 Mhz, 10 MByte ram (2 MB Chip, 8 MB Fast), Fast SCSI II, 2 CDRoms, 2 1 GB SCSI II IBM Harddrives, 512 MB Quantum Lightning HDD, self soldered Sync changer to attach VGA displays, WLAN

First enable bootlog so you can troubleshoot.
With the bootlog it will be much easier to find out where the bottleneck lies, but know it is not bad at all on that hardware.

How to enable the bootlog you can find here

14 minutes ago, ratquaza said:

Hey everyone! Currently struggling to determine what exactly is causing my boot time to be long (in my eyes) after I've installed an NVME SSD? I've tried entering Task Manager and disabling certain applications on startup, I've entered my BIOS and changed the boot order to have my SSD be the first one, even reinstalled Windows but my boot time remains to be around 12 seconds.

STORAGE:

D and E drives: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200RPM HD | Hitachi 7k1000 1TB 7200RPM HD

Would anyone know what exactly could be causing the issue or is this just how it be with my hardware? Cheers 😄

You can change the time splash screen appears on boot in bios. Enable fast boot, eventhough it dosen't make much difference when using NVME.

CPU: Ryzen 5800X3D | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550 Elite V2 | RAM: G.Skill Aegis 2x16gb 3200 @3600mhz | PSU: EVGA SuperNova 750 G3 | Monitor: LG 27GL850-B , Samsung C27HG70 | 
GPU: Red Devil RX 7900XT | Sound: Odac + Fiio E09K | Case: Fractal Design R6 TG Blackout |Storage: MP510 960gb and 860 Evo 500gb | Cooling: CPU: Noctua NH-D15 with one fan

FS in Denmark/EU:

Asus Dual GTX 1060 3GB. Used maximum 4 months total. Looks like new. Card never opened. Give me a price. 

My 5900X couldn't do 12 seconds with a WD Blue SN570 and 32GB of DDR4-3200. I feel so violated. For SHAME, my 5900X getting its ass whipped on boot by an LGA1151! Even worse, the Lenovo M71e I just revamped with an i7-2600 boots in 10 with an adapted SATA M.2. Oh, the humanity!

Edited by An0maly_76
Revised, more info

I don't badmouth others' input, I'd appreciate others not badmouthing mine. *** More below ***

MODERATE TO SEVERE AUTISTIC, COMPLICATED WITH COVID FOG

Due to the above, I've likely revised posts <30 min old, and do not think as you do.

THINK BEFORE YOU REPLY!

I do arround 20 seconds from power on to login in a WB 850 1TB.....
15 seconds is a good time.

The problem will be if you introduce your password and then it stays there for 15 seconds until you see the desktop.

3700x PBO stock | b550-f | Crucial Ballistix 32GB 3200MHz | RTX 4080 Asus TUF OC | SN 850X 2TB - SN 850 1T | Cooler Master XG 850w Platinum PSU

1 hour ago, ratquaza said:

STORAGE:

The majority of the boot time is used by the BIOS to detect and initialise hardware.

Disable non essential hardware and checks in the BIOS and you may gain a second or two, this is essentially what the fast boot option does (the BIOS setting, not the Windows one).

The drawback is that if you add or change devices and settings they can possibly be missed on boot up.

The rest of the boot time is Windows loading (probably 3 - 6 seconds at a guess) and can be decreased a little by disabling non essential start up apps, although this will have minimal effect as Windows tends to load such items in the background after the desktop has loaded, look in Task Manager's Start up tab for high impact apps to disable.

Personally, a start up from cold to desktop in anything under 25 seconds is perfectly acceptable.

Thank you everyone for your responses - I didn't expect 12 seconds to be fast, especially since other PC's I've built for friends have ~5 second boot time. That's most likely due to it being a complete fresh install though 😆.

4 hours ago, Slaiter said:

First enable bootlog so you can troubleshoot.
With the bootlog it will be much easier to find out where the bottleneck lies, but know it is not bad at all on that hardware.

How to enable the bootlog you can find here

I've enabled bootlog and after reading it, there doesn't seem to be anything strange? I also can not tell what exactly could be considered a bottleneck - it just contains a list of what was and wasn't loaded.