how to tell if a coin is made of silver

spwath

I found a coin that would be very rare if made of silver, how can I tell

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

@spwath

You could try these steps?

Corsair 400R, i7 3770K @ 4.5GHz 16GB, Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz, Gigabyte Z77X-UD5H Motherboard, 240GB Samsung 840 Evo Sata III SSD, 2 x Asus GTX 780 Direct CU2 SLI, Corsair H100i and Corsair AX860i Platinum Power supply.

I found this article: http://www.opencurrency.com/3-quick-ways-to-help-tell-real-silver-from-fake-silver/

1) The Ring Test

Silver has a nice ringing sound when it is tapped. If it is a coin, you can flick it into the air. Alternatively, you can gently tap it with another coin. In both instances, you should hear a high-pitched bell-type ring that lasts about 1-2 seconds. A fun way to try this is with a U.S. quarter from the years 1932-1964, which is 90% silver, and with a modern U.S. quarter (post 1965), which is 91.67% copper and 8.33% nickel. The silver quarter ring will be much higher-pitched compared to the dull ring of the copper quarter. Be careful when doing this with whatever coin you are testing so as not to ding or damage it.

2) The Ice Test

In addition to having the highest electrical conductivity of any element, silver also has the highest thermal conductivity of any metal. If you place an ice cube on a silver coin or bar, the ice will begin to melt immediately. Obviously, ice will melt if placed on anything at room temperature, for example, but if placed on silver it will melt much more quickly and impressively. Try it!

If you've ever played Bioshock Infinite (or seen it), you know what the ring sound is, because I remember that at some point someone flipped a coin (I think it was Booker) and it was at the beginning.

The ice test seems cool, never tried it though.

You could try making a crown out of it and then seeing how much water is displaced when you submerge it...

You could try making a crown out of it and then seeing how much water is displaced when you submerge it...

I see what you did there, very fancy.

Seriously though, just look up the make of the coin. Identify it then look for details

Case: Meatbag, humanoid - APU: Human Brain version 1.53 (stock clock) - Storage: 100TB SND (Squishy Neuron Drive) - PSU: a combined 500W of Mitochondrial cells - Optical Drives: 2 Oculi, with corrective lenses.

Seriously though, just look up the make of the coin. Identify it then look for details

I did, it's either worth 2$ if not silver, 200$ if silver

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

It could be a fake though which is why I think the OP needs to be able to tell if it is silver or not. To see if it is fake.

"If you do not take your failures seriously you will continue to fail"

It could be a fake though which is why I think the OP needs to be able to tell if it is silver or not. To see if it is fake.

There are 2 versions minted, 1 silver, 1 not. Hawaii volcano quarter. Silver one worth $200, non silver worth $2

I found this article: http://www.opencurrency.com/3-quick-ways-to-help-tell-real-silver-from-fake-silver/

If you've ever played Bioshock Infinite (or seen it), you know what the ring sound is, because I remember that at some point someone flipped a coin (I think it was Booker) and it was at the beginning.

The ice test seems cool, never tried it though.

Can't really tell with ring. I tried ice, looked promising compared to regular quarter but I'm not sure.

I'll take it to someone later. They can tell me. I'll report back

Can't really tell with ring. I tried ice, looked promising compared to regular quarter but I'm not sure.

Do what we tell people new to PCs do perhaps. Go to an enthusiast forum? Surely there's some coin collector forums out there.

Case: Meatbag, humanoid - APU: Human Brain version 1.53 (stock clock) - Storage: 100TB SND (Squishy Neuron Drive) - PSU: a combined 500W of Mitochondrial cells - Optical Drives: 2 Oculi, with corrective lenses.

Do what we tell people new to PCs do perhaps. Go to an enthusiast forum? Surely there's some coin collector forums out there.

Hmn I'll look

Awwww. Coin forum people said it's not silver so it's not worth $200...

It's worth about $1