I want to upgrade my ram

Hi

I want to upgrade my pc ram, right now it had 8gb ddr3 ram and my motherboard is intel h55, but I want to upgrade it to 16gb can I do it or do I need to do something first. 

5 minutes ago, Stattrack 0250 said:

it had 8gb ddr3 ram and my motherboard is intel h55

We need more specifics than just an H55 board and 8GB of RAM. What CPU are you running, what specific motherboard, what RAM configuration are you currently running, etc? 

Odds are yes, you will be able to upgrade to 16GB of RAM, but those other factors will determine how you have to go about that. 

The short answer is yes.

h55 (Ibex Peak) supports Inte's first generation of i-series CPUs such as the i7-750, i5-650, i3-530, etc. It also supports a few of their earlier Pentium dual core chips. All of the CPUs supported by the h55 chipset support a maximum of 16GB of DDR3 RAM.

Because these are older boards I would recommend looking for DDR3 1033 or 1333. I Would try to avoid 1600 or higher frequencies to maximize compatibility.

23 hours ago, RONOTHAN## said:

We need more specifics than just an H55 board and 8GB of RAM. What CPU are you running, what specific motherboard, what RAM configuration are you currently running, etc? 

Odds are yes, you will be able to upgrade to 16GB of RAM, but those other factors will determine how you have to go about that. 

16598509588284109245761919807677.jpg

2 minutes ago, Stattrack 0250 said:

16598509588284109245761919807677.jpg

That still doesn't give enough info. Download CPU-Z and output the system info as a text file, the send the text file. 

14 hours ago, OrdinaryPhil said:

The short answer is yes.

h55 (Ibex Peak) supports Inte's first generation of i-series CPUs such as the i7-750, i5-650, i3-530, etc. It also supports a few of their earlier Pentium dual core chips. All of the CPUs supported by the h55 chipset support a maximum of 16GB of DDR3 RAM.

Because these are older boards I would recommend looking for DDR3 1033 or 1333. I Would try to avoid 1600 or higher frequencies to maximize compatibility.

Well can it still kind of viable if you have to use 1600mhz speed. Or is just not compatible at all

18 minutes ago, RONOTHAN## said:

That still doesn't give enough info. Download CPU-Z and output the system info as a text file, the send the text file. 

image.png.b1f754101cd9384c222519a7635e0fdf.pngimage.thumb.png.a802db23b061af0a2aaae567f23d5a29.png

Just now, Stattrack 0250 said:

there you go

Go to tools and save report as a .txt. There's information in there that we need that isn't present in this. 

The main thing I'm trying to see is how many RAM slots are there and how many of them are occupied. H55 is before 8GB DIMMs were a thing, so the 2 DIMM boards max out at 8GB of RAM (they can run 8GB DIMMs and everything, it's just that for the most part the BIOS isn't programmed to recognize 16GB). If you've got one of the 4 DIMM boards, then you need to see if you have the RAM running in a 2x4GB config, in which case it would be very easy to just get an extra 2x4GB kit and be done with it, or if you've got a 4x2GB kit you need to get 4 new RAM sticks to replace everything. 

20 minutes ago, RONOTHAN## said:

Go to tools and save report as a .txt. There's information in there that we need that isn't present in this. 

The main thing I'm trying to see is how many RAM slots are there and how many of them are occupied. H55 is before 8GB DIMMs were a thing, so the 2 DIMM boards max out at 8GB of RAM (they can run 8GB DIMMs and everything, it's just that for the most part the BIOS isn't programmed to recognize 16GB). If you've got one of the 4 DIMM boards, then you need to see if you have the RAM running in a 2x4GB config, in which case it would be very easy to just get an extra 2x4GB kit and be done with it, or if you've got a 4x2GB kit you need to get 4 new RAM sticks to replace everything. 

DESKTOP-2VGNE32.txt

3 minutes ago, Stattrack 0250 said:

OK, with those older board they don't properly report how many DIMM slots are available apparently. From what I'm seeing, it looks like this is just a 2 DIMM board, in which case you're SOL, but the only way to 100% guarantee that right now is to just open up the side panel and take a look to see how many DIMMs you've got. 

2 hours ago, RONOTHAN## said:

OK, with those older board they don't properly report how many DIMM slots are available apparently. From what I'm seeing, it looks like this is just a 2 DIMM board, in which case you're SOL, but the only way to 100% guarantee that right now is to just open up the side panel and take a look to see how many DIMMs you've got. 

(sorry for late reply) you mean i should open my pc case and see how man dimms i got or digitally,im sorry im confused im not really have that much knowledge.

3 hours ago, Stattrack 0250 said:

(sorry for late reply) you mean i should open my pc case and see how man dimms i got or digitally,im sorry im confused im not really have that much knowledge.

Yes, open side panel and see whether your mobo has 2 or 4 slots. You should be all good to get 2x4Gb kits of 1600MHz DDR3 if your motherboard actually has room for them. If not, you would need to get 2x8Gb kit instead. From pics so far, you have 2 sticks installed (says Dual Channel in RAM part of CPU-Z).

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv