Super Bad Stutters in games.

cheiften98

Ive been having weird stutters in games recently. Ive had stutter issues in Escape From Tarkov ever since I upgraded my cpu from a xeon1231v3 to a ryzen 5600x.  It would only happen on certain maps. It only happen on Tarkov for the longest time. Then last wipe of the game only on the new map lighthouse. This wipe it did it a few times on other maps but every time on lighthouse it does it. 
Then it did it a few times on Titanfall 2. Figured its EA. Now its doing it on Hell Let Loose. I have to restart to fix it most of the time. I have no idea whats wrong. 
Ive attached a few videos. 

I recently did a bios update, fresh install of graphics card drivers and it doesnt make sense. You can see in the Hell Let Loose video the msi at the top. 
Hopefully you guys can give me some ideas. Thank you. 

Edit: Forgot to add that the issue on Escape From Tarkov started 2  years ago when I upgraded. Never had issues on other games  Titanfall 2 this year it happens randomly and Hell Let Loose I got within the last 2 weeks. seems completely random if it does it and how severe. 

Ryzen 5 5600x, GTX 1070 Duel Asus OC Edition, 16gb ram, Asus Tuf Gaming x570-plus

Tarkov has a rep for disliking AMD CPUs I dunno why.  This is in keeping though.  The other stuff not so much.  The thing about stutter is so very many things can cause it.  It’s a “this computer works, but only barely” kind of thing, and there are a lot of things that can do that.  Basically anything that might shutdown a computer but in a less extreme form, plus a whole pile of other stuff.  One I heard about was a guy was partially occluding only one fan of a video card with a skelotonized wifi card.  The wifi card was working and wasn’t even registering high temps.  Moving the card down a slot made it go away.  It could also be an interaction with other software, or any number of other things. 

Edited by Bombastinator

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

Hell Let Loose was working fine but last night it did the stutters 3 times. Having to restart, lose place in server and squad. its ruins it completely. 

Ryzen 5 5600x, GTX 1070 Duel Asus OC Edition, 16gb ram, Asus Tuf Gaming x570-plus

do you think wiping my OS drive with most of my software on and starting over would be a good idea? most of my games are on my Raid 0 2x2tb and 2tb external. a few on a smaller ssd too.

Another thing I remembered is It never happens on running benchmark software. Tarkov Ive the last 2 years it changes how bad it is and what map each wipe. Titanfall 2 earlier this year and randomly on Hell Let Loose. 
I run 3D Mark and all is well. 

4 hours ago, cheiften98 said:

do you think wiping my OS drive with most of my software on and starting over would be a good idea? most of my games are on my Raid 0 2x2tb and 2tb external. a few on a smaller ssd too.

Something less extreme could be tried first.  Iirc there is a one button option called “refresh” that partially reinstalls the OS files but leaves everything else alone.

1 hour ago, cheiften98 said:

Another thing I remembered is It never happens on running benchmark software. Tarkov Ive the last 2 years it changes how bad it is and what map each wipe. Titanfall 2 earlier this year and randomly on Hell Let Loose. 
I run 3D Mark and all is well. 

Benchmarking software tends to use older systems and apparently isn’t hitting the thing that is the problem.  Supports that “refresh” option.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

4 hours ago, Bombastinator said:

Something less extreme could be tried first.  Iirc there is a one button option called “refresh” that partially reinstalls the OS files but leaves everything else alone.

Benchmarking software tends to use older systems and apparently isn’t hitting the thing that is the problem.  Supports that “refresh” option.

ill probably give reinstalling windows ago then. i doubt it will do much though 😞
Its completely random and out of 100's of games its only happen in these 3 now.  so frustrating

do you think there is a possibility its hardware related? as the issues on Tarkov started 2 years ago when I upgraded my mobo, ram and cpu. 

ill probably give reinstalling windows ago then. i doubt it will do much though 😞
Its completely random and out of 100's of games its only happen in these 3 now.  so frustrating

That’s a clean install.  Seems extreme but it can’t hurt. 

Thank you ever so much for helping btw.

Maybe I dont have enough memory?  Im not capping out but all of my friends have 32gb now. hmm

3 minutes ago, cheiften98 said:

Thank you ever so much for helping btw.

Maybe I dont have enough memory?  Im not capping out but all of my friends have 32gb now. hmm

How much do you have?  If it’s 8gb it’s possible the you’re using page file.  If you’ve got 16gb though you are likely fine.

17 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

How much do you have?  If it’s 8gb it’s possible the you’re using page file.  If you’ve got 16gb though you are likely fine.

yeah i have 16gb. ugh this sucks so bad. Last week Hell Let Loose was fine but this weeks its not. i dont get it. 

I think im going to order some more memory and a m.2 ssd. never had one before. going to format my ssd and reinstall windows and all my programs on m.2. i figure if im going to wipe the drive i might as well upgrade too saving me having to clone it later. 

image.thumb.png.3e22a3375a038ec395f813799c29fed4.png

should be good.if a fresh install and more ram doesnt fix my issues then i have no idea. I would assume some hardware is faulty at that point 😞

36 minutes ago, cheiften98 said:

image.thumb.png.3e22a3375a038ec395f813799c29fed4.png

should be good.if a fresh install and more ram doesnt fix my issues then i have no idea. I would assume some hardware is faulty at that point 😞

I doubt the ram will help, but the clean install on a faster HD might.

2 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

I doubt the ram will help, but the clean install on a faster HD might.

I do often have lots of things open, i agree it probably wont fix it but it might smooth out other issues on Tarkov. lots of people say going from 16-32 fixed things for them. on Hell Let Loose I doubt it. Fingers crossed that doing these things will fix my issues. 

That I had not heard.  So some games are pushing past 16gb then.  I was under the impression that a bit more than half of a16gb kit got functionally used by the game, and the reason to get 16gb was 10 was not available.  Could be some of these people are putting in more memory and claiming improvements might have gotten it simply by opening the case and reseating cables.  That’s a useful step perhaps btw.  This 32gb thing interests me though.  Wasn’t expecting that one for at least a year or two.

Edited by Bombastinator

Tarkov is a mess of a game. some of the stutters felt like not enough ram stutters but i have no idea about when it tanks seemingly randomly. hopefully a full reset on my OS drive will fix things. My other drives just have games on so it will be fun to reinstall all my programs and windows. uugh. 

49 minutes ago, cheiften98 said:

Tarkov is a mess of a game. some of the stutters felt like not enough ram stutters but i have no idea about when it tanks seemingly randomly. hopefully a full reset on my OS drive will fix things. My other drives just have games on so it will be fun to reinstall all my programs and windows. uugh. 

Hmm.. if its that big a mess it might use a lot of memory.  Bad programming can do that.   I still think it’s unlikely but it’s not impossible. 

2 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

Hmm.. if its that big a mess it might use a lot of memory.  Bad programming can do that.   I still think it’s unlikely but it’s not impossible. 

yeah its most likely something software related. at least i hope so. It only happens in weird niche circumstances. for instance, on Tarkov on the newish map Lighthouse the Easy side of the map which has less stuff runs well but the middle part Ill have to restart 2-3 times ot get across.  Hell Let Loose it seemed random. Couldnt really find a trigger, maybe when there was lots of tanks on fire around me that happen once. 
Really dont know what to do 😞

yeah its most likely something software related. at least i hope so. It only happens in weird niche circumstances. for instance, on Tarkov on the newish map Lighthouse the Easy side of the map which has less stuff runs well but the middle part Ill have to restart 2-3 times ot get across.  Hell Let Loose it seemed random. Couldnt really find a trigger, maybe when there was lots of tanks on fire around me that happen once. 
Really dont know what to do 😞

Simulating Fire can include a lot of fast moving polygons depending on how you do it.this really shouldn’t be an out-of-memory switching to page file thing, but I guess it’s not impossible.  Do have a hot case by any chance?

Edited by Bombastinator

1 minute ago, Bombastinator said:

Simulating Fire can include a lot of fast moving polygons depending on how you do it.this really shouldn’t be an out-of-memory switching to page file thing, but I guess it’s not impossible.

from the videos i posted do you think its a software issue or hardware? If i reinstall windows it should fix it right?

16 minutes ago, cheiften98 said:

from the videos i posted do you think its a software issue or hardware? If i reinstall windows it should fix it right?

It might fix it.  I don’t know what the problem is for sure or I’d tell you.  A reinstall makes the OS known good, the thing also amounts to a drive swap so the drive is then know good too.  so it removes a couple of unknowns.  Also SSDs are really nice.  They’re multiple times faster than hard drives and for OSes that get read a lot more than they get written to they can last a really long time.  Much longer than a hard drive.  I kinda don’t want to get in the way of that one because they make amazing speed improvements which you will like.

Edited by Bombastinator

3 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

It might fix it.  I don’t know what the problem is for sure or I’d tell you.  A reinstall makes the OS known good, so it removes an unknown. Also SSDs are really nice.  They’re multiple times faster than hard drives and for OSes that get read a lot more than they get written to they can last a really long time.  I kinda don’t want to get in the way of that one because they make amazing speed improvements which you will like.

yeah fingers crossed it does. 
Its a real pain. I might just put the ram and NVME in when I get that and see how it is then just clone the drives over which is what ive done in the past. 

3 minutes ago, cheiften98 said:

yeah fingers crossed it does. 
Its a real pain. I might just put the ram and NVME in when I get that and see how it is then just clone the drives over which is what ive done in the past. 

If it works it works.  I’m not a big fan of cloning drives because old HDs tend to have cruft on them and when you clone you copy the cruft too. With cloning it’s less work unless it screws up in which case it is more work.

Edited by Bombastinator