Steam deck already outdated? - Thinking of getting an iPad instead

Just4lol
On 12/14/2022 at 3:38 PM, LostInSpaceThings said:

I will never understand the steam deck. Half of us never leave the house so why not just play on your pc with better quality and bigger screen 

Cause the other is never at home and wants to play something when in a hotel, plane, ship, offshore rig, train etc...

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

On 8/3/2022 at 8:42 PM, manikyath said:

if you have nothing to lose in the apple ecosystem, buy a galaxy tab something instead. i'm in the unique situation of having a family where no one (except for two people..) can be bothered to spend money on apple products, so there's a lot of alternatives flying around.... and the obligatory ipad for those two people who have an allergy of anything that isnt apple.

the truth of the matter is.. if you have any technology capabilities at all (which, if you run retroarch, you have plenty to qualify..) an android tablet really is the more sensible choice. a $200 galaxy tab will do all your $1000 ipad does, except that if you put them side by side, in a movie, the ipad's screen is more crisp.. if you're watching a high fidelity file in the right conditions. flip side of that is your android tablet is basicly roaming free, whereas on iOS you're basicly stuck within the ecosystem, or stuck with jumping trough hoops.

also.. for some reason.. the iPad *hates* charging off anything other than an apple charger. i couldnt tell you why, but about every month i see our 6-port charger ends up in the drawer in favor of a christmas tree of random chargers, because -before mentioned apple user- couldnt get the ipad to charge off the big boy charger.

Ah saying a $200 android tablet will run as well as an iPad Pro. That’s actually funny. 

On 8/3/2022 at 5:33 AM, Just4lol said:

So it is finally my turn for the steam deck but I think I'll pass. Seeing the new hand held coming out I think if you are patient, we will see cool stuff in 2023.

I also realize that I mostly want a device that I can stream my library on via steam link. That is why I might get an iPad instead. My concerns with an iPad is running retro games on it or if I will be able to add my own movies on it.

If you have any suggestions for another good multimedia device where I could use steam link on, I would be interested. What I like from the iPad is the screen so. 

Since people haven’t actually answered you the steam deck seems a poor choice for you. If you want to stream then the iPad will do you fine and yes you can put your own movies onto an iPad if the format is compatible. You can if you so choose just put them onto an external HDD and copy them all onto the files app to play them from there. 

Retro games is a bit iffy, emulators by nature are illegal how most people use them, I would advise you not to pirate games but there are ways of getting an emulator onto iPads. 

On 12/17/2022 at 10:16 PM, Imbadatnames said:

Ah saying a $200 android tablet will run as well as an iPad Pro. That’s actually funny. 

I'm not and that tablet the samsung tab but a7 was £249($300.75) I bought it, I was just really disappointed with the performance compared to my old cheap phone that costed around the same price,  to the point where I'd recommend an  cheaper ipad.

22 minutes ago, bruhtomeprotonme said:

I'm not and that tablet the samsung tab but a7 was £249($300.75) I bought it, I was just really disappointed with the performance compared to my old cheap phone that costed around the same price,  to the point where I'd recommend an  cheaper ipad.

“A $200 galaxy tab will do all your $1000 ipad does” was in what I quoted, you are also not the person I replied to