Can I fit a GTX 980ti on a Dell optiplex 7010 add motherboard

Outspending
Go to solution Solved by JKRsega,

Fingers crossed for you mate.  Please can you mark my post as the answer, need to put that as my sig.

Today I bought a GTX 980ti and I forgot the usb front connector was in the way since the GPU is big. I found a fix for the sata cables. But not the usb connector. And suggestions because I really don't want to buy a new motherboard for this GPU to fit.

6 minutes ago, Outspending said:

Today I bought a GTX 980ti and I forgot the usb front connector was in the way since the GPU is big. I found a fix for the sata cables. But not the usb connector. And suggestions because I really don't want to buy a new motherboard for this GPU to fit.

Do you have a PSU that can power it?  Can you post a pic so I can see what you mean by USB?  Don't you mean HDMI?

Do you have a PSU that can power it?  Can you post a pic so I can see what you mean by USB?  Don't you mean HDMI?

I mean the front usb connector. Shown below. I already bought a 600w psu, and I'm working on a new case since there's no way it's fitting in this one. I have a gt 1030 in it rn

20220802_223532.jpg

17 minutes ago, JKRsega said:

Do you have a PSU that can power it?  Can you post a pic so I can see what you mean by USB?  Don't you mean HDMI?

Sorry forgot to quote. But it's above 

6 minutes ago, Outspending said:

I mean the front usb connector. Shown below. I already bought a 600w psu, and I'm working on a new case since there's no way it's fitting in this one. I have a gt 1030 in it rn

20220802_223532.jpg

You could always unplug it and just use the rear USB instead?  Is that the Dell with an i5 2400 in a small form factor case?

1 minute ago, JKRsega said:

You could always unplug it and just use the rear USB instead?  Is that the Dell with an i5 2400 in a small form factor case?

Dell optiplex 7010 sff, i5-3470. I was also thinking that. Wouldn't it also disconnect the audio?

1 minute ago, Outspending said:

Dell optiplex 7010 sff, i5-3470. I was also thinking that. Wouldn't it also disconnect the audio?

It's either that or just ram it in and hope!  I got an RX470 in mine and the pliers removed the back portion of the case.

It's either that or just ram it in and hope!  I got an RX470 in mine and the pliers removed the back portion of the case.

Well I checked the dimensions on the card and it would be too tall for my case. I was thinking of getting a Dell optiplex 7010 mt case. But idk if that'll work. I also don't know if I could fit the motherboard in another case that isn't dell. Since most companies do that sort of thing. 

4 minutes ago, Outspending said:

Well I checked the dimensions on the card and it would be too tall for my case. I was thinking of getting a Dell optiplex 7010 mt case. But idk if that'll work. I also don't know if I could fit the motherboard in another case that isn't dell. Since most companies do that sort of thing. 

Just leave the lid off!  Ran mine all ghetto and it still worked the same!  Yeah, Dell like to be all proprietary with their stuff.  Lucky the PSU fits!  Can you get the GPU plugged in at all?

Just now, JKRsega said:

Just leave the lid off!  Ran mine all ghetto and it still worked the same!  Yeah, Dell like to be all proprietary with their stuff.  Lucky the PSU fits!  Can you get the GPU plugged in at all?

I'm not sure, I won't have it until tomorrow evening. And the PSU wouldn't fit in the sff case. Sadly. I mean I'm poor an all but I wanna keep my pc somewhat cool lol.

1 minute ago, Outspending said:

I'm not sure, I won't have it until tomorrow evening. And the PSU wouldn't fit in the sff case. Sadly. I mean I'm poor an all but I wanna keep my pc somewhat cool lol.

You should be able to get it in there. Leave the PSU on the side and if anyone gives you stress tell them it's a ghetto setup and put it behind your monitor, lmao. Just going to look up how big your GPU is.  What model 980Ti is it?

You could try a right angle adapter for those USB3 headers. You can find them on Amazon. 

image.jpeg.08291e8122301da4a90365542578ca51.jpeg

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

2 minutes ago, JKRsega said:

You should be able to get it in there. Leave the PSU on the side and if anyone gives you stress tell them it's a ghetto setup and put it behind your monitor, lmao. Just going to look up how big your GPU is.  What model 980Ti is it?

980ti 6g evga

1 minute ago, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

You could try a right angle adapter for those USB3 headers. You can find them on Amazon. 

image.jpeg.08291e8122301da4a90365542578ca51.jpeg

I'll check that out, thanks.

7 minutes ago, Outspending said:

https://a.co/d/be8uc0v that's the Amazon link.

Now I don't want to be the bearer of bad news, but I don't think that card which is 10.5" long is going to fit.  You may need to get a pcie riser.

4 minutes ago, JKRsega said:

Now I don't want to be the bearer of bad news, but I don't think that card which is 10.5" long is going to fit.  You may need to get a pcie riser.

Yeah or I could just cut the metal bracket that's stopping it from going in. That's why I was wondering if I could get another case for my motherboard. And if so what case. Or just not use a case 😞

I don't know if you can put that motherboard into another case.  I just got a gigabyte mobo and case and my GPU was 1.5" shorter than yours. 

Just now, JKRsega said:

I don't know if you can put that motherboard into another case.  I just got a gigabyte mobo and case and my GPU was 1.5" shorter than yours. 

Yeah, I mean. I'd rather not spend $200 more on a $1k GPU atm. Anything would help lol. And plus I don't have $200 I spent it all on the GPU and PSU. I was saving up for more things. Since I already knew there was a chance I couldn't actually use the card yet. 

How much did you spend on that GPU?

$600 ish a bit overpriced but I srs need a new gpu. The gt 1030 isn't cutting it anymore. 

Just now, Outspending said:

$600 ish a bit overpriced but I srs need a new gpu. The gt 1030 isn't cutting it anymore. 

🤪 Send it back and get one of these!!!  You've been scammed!!!!

https://www.amazon.ca/MSI-Geforce-192-bit-Support-Graphics/dp/B07ZHDZ1K6/ref=sr_1_7?crid=3KVA5QSIN59F5&keywords=gtx+1660+super+6gb+graphics+card&qid=1659504838&s=electronics&sprefix=GTX+1660+super%2Celectronics%2C169&sr=1-7

Smaller, so will fit and way cheaper and brand new!  Exact card I have!

Isn't the 980ti a bit faster than the 1660?

Not the 1660 super, no.  Super is 9% faster.  Then you could get a new mobo and case with what you saved!  Not giving you bad advice mate.