HDR question for DisplayPort 1.2

chrispoler
Go to solution Solved by Stahlmann,

Some games can automatically enable HDR. Another one i've encountered is Assasins Creed: Odyssey. But for most games you need to have HDR enabled in windows when launching the game. Otherwise the HDR options are greyed out or missing in the ingame options.

A little side note: The shortcut @Srijan Verma mentioned only works for Windows 11. Windows 10 and older don't have a shortcut.

I have the MSI Optix MAG274QRF-QD. On paper the monitor supports HDR but it comes with DP 1.2 and it's only 300 nits so I just ignored the HDR feature.

But yesterday I played Madden 21 and the game automatically turned HDR on and the monitor went into HDR mode.

I then tried Cyberpunk and Shadow of the Tomb Raider and both games had HDR greyed out.

Is this due to the HDR implementation of Madden? How did it even get HDR to work on DP 1.2?

You need to turn on hdr in windows settings for some applications to enable the setting which gets kinda annoying turning it on and off again. The keyboard shortcut for that  is win+alt+B

THIS IS MY SIGNATURE

Some games can automatically enable HDR. Another one i've encountered is Assasins Creed: Odyssey. But for most games you need to have HDR enabled in windows when launching the game. Otherwise the HDR options are greyed out or missing in the ingame options.

A little side note: The shortcut @Srijan Verma mentioned only works for Windows 11. Windows 10 and older don't have a shortcut.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

On 7/29/2022 at 8:33 PM, Stahlmann said:

Some games can automatically neable HDR. Another one i've encountered is Assasins Creed: Odyssey. But for most games you need to have HDR enabled in windows when launching the game. Otherwise the HDR options are greyed out or missing in the ingame options.

I turned on HDR in windows and other games could do HDR as well. So my previous assumption about DisplayPort 1.2 not supporting HDR is just wrong then?

3 hours ago, chrispoler said:

I turned on HDR in windows and other games could do HDR as well. So my previous assumption about DisplayPort 1.2 not supporting HDR is just wrong then?

DP 1.2 can do 10 bit 444 at 4k 60hz just fine - which is why a lot of older 4k 60hz display came with it. You will only have a problem when going above 60hz (even so, you don't technically need 10 bit for HDR, it's just not ideal if you want to take advantage of the display wilder colour gamut)