Think I just fried my power supply

Hermes
Go to solution Solved by PeachyUwUSenpai,
2 minutes ago, Hermes said:

Thank you everyone. I think the shock messed with my line of thinking. I double checked everything and I wanted to bridge the power pins manually in case my case's power button somehow failed for an unknown reason. And guess what? By fiddling around with all the dozens of SATA cables I accidentally knocked off the PWR_SW jumper. Uhmmm... yeah. Please DO humiliate me because it feels embarassing. At the same time, a huge weight is off my shoulders since I don't have to spend any more money after the initial upgrade. 

Thank you for your radically fast assistance everyone. I believe my issue to be solved for now

Although @lafrente brings up a good point. The system might run now in idle but what happens under CPU and GPU load? Is there a (preferably small sized) program that I can torture my GPU and CPU with for a tiny bit? From the top of my head I can only think of combining single pieces of software meant to stress test either one of the components...

Prime95 for cpu and Furmark works well if you want something Really brutal but a bit unrealistic. your best bet may just see if the games you play have a built in benchmark.

This is my system and it all went well until I connected one last Molex to Sata power adapter. My PC is now refusing to power on at all. 

Overview: 

• Ryzen 5 3600 
  • Rtx 2070 Super 
  • 2 M.2 nvme 
  • 4 Ssd
  • 2 HDD 
  • 4 fans 
  • 4 DDR4 RAM DIMMs 
  • 500W be quiet D tier gold PSU non modular 

No sound, no smoke, no smell, no nothing. I unplugged everything I added, same result, I unplugged the PSU and let it rest for ten minutes, same result. Completely dead. Is it possible it just died on me by trying to draw a tiny bit more power? Without the last SSD and hdd, the system ran fine for two days. Upon plugging back in the power cable into the PSU I hear some nasty buzzing that you sometimes can get when it's not in all the way. 

Thoughts? Advice? Please suggest a high tier modular PSU 750W that can accommodate for all of my drives. 

Last question: if my system needed 550W to power all devices, will it constantly draw 550W or the PSU's full capacity such as 750w? In the past, I had beefy systems that were hooked to a 1600W PSU and it constantly drew that amount instead of what it realistically needed (1200 - 1300) measured with grounded power reader. 

Do the PSU paper clip test.

A PC Enthusiast since 2011
AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz
Cinebench R23: 15669cb | Unigine Superposition 1080p Extreme: 3566

a psu will only draw the power thats needed so if you have a 1500 watt psu hooked to something that eats 400 watts it would only take 400 watts Plus loss and overhead on conversion(assuming your using 110-120v 20% loss/overhead is a good rule of thumb for calcualting wall wattage). not to mention the rtx series has some bad issues of power spikes that can murder PSU if you spec to close to the edge (in this case id say you were to close to the edge). over specing psus is also better for since the less of the max capcity you take the better the conversion efficeny.

20 minutes ago, Hermes said:

No sound, no smoke, no smell, no nothing. I unplugged everything I added, same result, I unplugged the PSU and let it rest for ten minutes, same result. Completely dead. Is it possible it just died on me by trying to draw a tiny bit more power? Without the last SSD and hdd, the system ran fine for two days. Upon plugging back in the power cable into the PSU I hear some nasty buzzing that you sometimes can get when it's not in all the way. 

Thoughts? Advice? Please suggest a high tier modular PSU 750W that can accommodate for all of my drives. 

Last question: if my system needed 550W to power all devices, will it constantly draw 550W or the PSU's full capacity such as 750w? In the past, I had beefy systems that were hooked to a 1600W PSU and it constantly drew that amount instead of what it realistically needed (1200 - 1300) measured with grounded power reader. 

Did you switch psu and power plug on?

550w system will only consume that at max effort. On idle it will consume 100w give or take.

17 minutes ago, lafrente said:

Did you switch psu and power plug on?

550w system will only consume that at max effort. On idle it will consume 100w give or take.

That said, HDDs will pull quite a lot when initially powering up which could be the final straw if the PSU is on its last legs.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

Thank you everyone. I think the shock messed with my line of thinking. I double checked everything and I wanted to bridge the power pins manually in case my case's power button somehow failed for an unknown reason. And guess what? By fiddling around with all the dozens of SATA cables I accidentally knocked off the PWR_SW jumper. Uhmmm... yeah. Please DO humiliate me because it feels embarassing. At the same time, a huge weight is off my shoulders since I don't have to spend any more money after the initial upgrade. 

Thank you for your radically fast assistance everyone. I believe my issue to be solved for now

Although @lafrente brings up a good point. The system might run now in idle but what happens under CPU and GPU load? Is there a (preferably small sized) program that I can torture my GPU and CPU with for a tiny bit? From the top of my head I can only think of combining single pieces of software meant to stress test either one of the components...

2 minutes ago, Hermes said:

Prime95 for cpu and Furmark works well if you want something Really brutal but a bit unrealistic. your best bet may just see if the games you play have a built in benchmark.

12 hours ago, Hermes said:

By fiddling around with all the dozens of SATA cables I accidentally knocked off the PWR_SW jumper. Uhmmm... yeah. Please DO humiliate me because it feels embarassing.

Its easily done and easy to miss, just glad it was something that simple.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7