Windows 10 Update Requires Restart but Still Updates in the Background

Hello. I have Windows 10 64-bit version 21H1. While processing cumulative update it requires restart. Why does it require restart while it is still busy with update?

20220728_164053.thumb.jpg.a6fb9f7db2cea312f42b6ae8a809bfb0.jpg

It was at 74% before showing download error. Right now I still see Windows Modules Installer Worker background process working sporadically. It was before as well when cumulative update was processing. Service Host Windows Update, MoUSO Core Worker, Runtime Broker processes also work in the background sometimes.

20220728_165018.thumb.jpg.fdfd4b7846b584ae1d1ec0b44a5295e3.jpg

In previous Windows editions updates used to be applied before system would require to restart computer. Why Windows 10 requires a restart while there are still updates processing?

Did it actively prompt you to restart right now? It's simply saying that one of these updates can't continue until a restart has happened. The other one should continue afterwards. Or you can wait with the reboot until both are done. Pretty sure this behavior hasn't changed, it's simply more visible if you have the update window open.

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

@Eigenvektor One update is pending restart. Another update showing error. 3rd update is optional and only shows option to download amd install it.

There are no other updates on that list, yet update processes still are running in the background. Why? I don't want to interrupt by restarting. 

54 minutes ago, TechnicGeek said:

There are no other updates on that list, yet update processes still are running in the background. Why? I don't want to interrupt by restarting.

If you didn't have the update window opened, you probably wouldn't even have noticed it. It would've notified you to restart once everything was done. In this case, simply wait until it is done, or close the update window and wait until you get a notification.

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply