I want to become a "power guru"

uno99

So, after about 15 years working in sales, I'm looking to get out of it and return to something in the PC tech space. I have a background (ancient background) in Computers A+, MCSE etc Nothing current.

A friend of mine works for a local hardware manufacturer and he says they are looking for a "power guru" who knows all about power delivery and diagnostics for PC components (graphics cards mostly).

Anyone have advice on where to begin learning and get at least a basic level knowledge quick?

Don't need to be Anthony level yet...聽馃槄

1 minute ago, uno99 said:

So, after about 15 years working in sales, I'm looking to get out of it and return to something in the PC tech space. I have a background (ancient background) in Computers A+, MCSE etc Nothing current.

A friend of mine works for a local hardware manufacturer and he says they are looking for a "power guru" who knows all about power delivery and diagnostics for PC components (graphics cards mostly).

Anyone have advice on where to begin learning and get at least a basic level knowledge quick?

Basic (and some more advanced concepts) of electronics would be useful. Understanding the power supply is important, how it then interacts with the components, such as the GPU. You can find this information online. Get yourself an Arduino kit and start making circuits or something if you really have no experience.

Main PC [聽CPU AMD Ryzen 9 7900X3D with H150i ELITE CAPPELIX聽 GPU Nvidia 3090 FE聽 MBD ASUS ROG STRIX X670E-A聽 RAM Corsair Dominator Platinum 64GB@5600MHz聽 PSU HX1000i聽 Case Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic聽 Monitor LG UltraGear 1440p 32" Nano IPS@180Hz聽 Keyboard Keychron Q6 with Kailh Box Switch Jade聽 Mouse Logitech G Pro Superlight聽 Microphone Shure SM7B with Cloudlifter & GoXLR聽]

Server [聽CPU AMD Ryzen 5 5600G聽聽GPU聽Intel ARC A380聽聽RAM Corsair VEGEANCE LPX 64GB聽 Storage 16TB EXOS聽]

Phone [聽Google Pixel 8 Pro, 256GB, Snow聽]

5 minutes ago, Zalosath said:

Basic (and some more advanced concepts) of electronics would be useful. Understanding the power supply is important, how it then interacts with the components, such as the GPU. You can find this information online. Get yourself an Arduino kit and start making circuits or something if you really have no experience.

Ok sounds like a good start and this kit looks fun for me and my son to learn on...
https://www.amazon.ca/Elegoo-Project-Starter-Tutorial-Arduino/dp/B01D8KOZF4/ref=asc_df_B01D8KOZF4/?tag=googleshopc0c-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=292968375828&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=1935324354272253900&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9000793&hvtargid=pla-406302474425&psc=1

Or would there be something better out there?

11 minutes ago, uno99 said:

If they are coming up with original designs to manufacture, it sounds like they are looking for an electrical engineer.

The fun way would be to start going into the realm of XOC with older hardware, buying stuff like old GTX 680s and doing hardware modifications to overclock them further. Places like AHOC have a ton of resources out there for the types of modifications you can do and how you can troubleshoot hardware if you inevitably kill something. This mostly starts off as a way to get higher scores with old hardware, but the better you get, the more knowledge about how power delivery works and what's needed to get a card to run come with it.聽

That said, that's only really there so you know how to modify it to get it to function and perform better. If you need to know how to design them, you really do need an engineering degree.聽

3 minutes ago, uno99 said:

While that's not an official Arduino, I have heard good things about the brand. Specifically their 3D printers, so I have no doubts that it will work fine.

The official Arduino kit can be found here:聽https://www.amazon.co.uk/Arduino-Starter-beginner-K000007-projects/dp/B009UKZV0A

Though it's double the price for considerably less stuff.

So sure! Great place to start.

Main PC [聽CPU AMD Ryzen 9 7900X3D with H150i ELITE CAPPELIX聽 GPU Nvidia 3090 FE聽 MBD ASUS ROG STRIX X670E-A聽 RAM Corsair Dominator Platinum 64GB@5600MHz聽 PSU HX1000i聽 Case Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic聽 Monitor LG UltraGear 1440p 32" Nano IPS@180Hz聽 Keyboard Keychron Q6 with Kailh Box Switch Jade聽 Mouse Logitech G Pro Superlight聽 Microphone Shure SM7B with Cloudlifter & GoXLR聽]

Server [聽CPU AMD Ryzen 5 5600G聽聽GPU聽Intel ARC A380聽聽RAM Corsair VEGEANCE LPX 64GB聽 Storage 16TB EXOS聽]

Phone [聽Google Pixel 8 Pro, 256GB, Snow聽]

3 minutes ago, hobbseltoff said:

If they are coming up with original designs to manufacture, it sounds like they are looking for an electrical engineer.

They are looking for people to test the designs/drivers. So testing engineers not makers.

1 hour ago, uno99 said:

They are looking for people to test the designs/drivers. So testing engineers not makers.

I would still start with learning from an EE point of view. Designing tests and testing hardware to validate electrical standards can be just as complicated as designing the hardware itself.