How come no one ever talks about just how egregiously bad the SSD situation is on M1/M2?

18 hours ago, hishnash said:

He is correct if the NAND is fully dead (not worn out) the system will not boot since the firmware is loaded on the NAND. However that is fully dead NAND does not happen through usage fully dead NAND happens if you have an electrical short and if you have an electrical short other parts of your board will also be dead. Even if apple used seperate NAND for storing the firmware that NAND would be just as likly to suffer an electrical short killing the NAND.  The regions of the NAND used to store the pre-boot firmware and recovery partitions is not exactly written to often so will not suffer the wear damage even if the OS partitions do so you will always be able to load this firmware and recovery images even if the rest of the SSD is toast (as this data is read only). 

I wasn't asking for his source on NAND death, I wanted to know where he got the source of not being able to boot an M1 Mac off of an external SSD.

3 hours ago, SprinkledDount said:

I wasn't asking for his source on NAND death, I wanted to know where he got the source of not being able to boot an M1 Mac off of an external SSD.

So you can boot from an external device but only if the firmware has loaded so those sectors of the soldered NAND needs to be fully functional. 

For the 250GB drive you need to write 30GB a say for ten years to hit the rates TBW of a cheap SSD