Failure is NOT an Option!

jakkuh_t

widget.png?style=banner2

PC: 13900K, 32GB Trident Z5, AORUS 7900 XTX, 2TB SN850X, 1TB MP600, Win 11

NAS: Xeon W-2195, 64GB ECC, 180TB Storage, 1660 Ti, TrueNAS Scale

Yep, I won't pretend to know what it means but my external drive still works even after 10 years. Good video though, to remind people to check the health of their drive.

Spoiler

image.png.69c84f9dcebbfe98ce254390d3ba6137.png

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

Had HHD that run years and some failed...but what about tools to check ssd's...and yes they do fail. It's a matter of when...even backblaze is watching this...

1 hour ago, Ultraforce said:

I'd be curious about USB drives since it feels like a lot of my USB drives fail and am just not sure why.

some are do to heat thru.

MSI x399 sli plus  | AMD theardripper 2990wx all core 3ghz lock |Thermaltake flo ring 360 | EVGA 2080, Zotac 2080 |Gskill Ripjaws 128GB 3000 MHz | Corsair RM1200i |150tb | Asus tuff gaming mid tower| 10gb NIC

Kind of tangent, but related to this. I was wondering if anyone had any experience with Recertified drives. I came across this seller and the seller looks legitimate, but for a home NAS with light to medium use I was wondering what the opinions were or if anyone had any experience.

https://serverpartdeals.com/collections/manufacturer-recertified-drives?gclid=Cj0KCQjwlK-WBhDjARIsAO2sErSRD9gLYfwLyJiwSsvZE_KA438Nqm-JWqGc1UmMzH4vsTEMlhtDBV4aAmDlEALw_wcB

1 hour ago, darkImpetus said:

Kind of tangent, but related to this. I was wondering if anyone had any experience with Recertified drives. I came across this seller and the seller looks legitimate, but for a home NAS with light to medium use I was wondering what the opinions were or if anyone had any experience.

https://serverpartdeals.com/collections/manufacturer-recertified-drives?gclid=Cj0KCQjwlK-WBhDjARIsAO2sErSRD9gLYfwLyJiwSsvZE_KA438Nqm-JWqGc1UmMzH4vsTEMlhtDBV4aAmDlEALw_wcB

usually recertified drives were already sent back by someone beforehand, but this is sometimes because the customer wasnt technically informed and thought the product was bad when it actually worked fine, other times it was a dead drive thats had its smart values messed with and bad sectors masked (at least with seagate), it can be hit or miss, i have a recertified seagate medalist drive from the mid 90's that still works, a whopping 2557mb of space, but i also had 2 recertified sshd's from seagate that both failed, granted the other 2 drives in that group of 4 were brand new and they too failed. 

3 hours ago, Mel0n. said:

IDK man, my 10 year old HGST Ultrastars that came with my workstation in 2012 and have 8 years of flying hours are holding up well... as in, 0 bad sectors, 0 read errors, 0 ECC recovered well.

HGST ultra stars are universally known to last forever, but unfortunately that product line doesn't really exist anymore.

Personally use a lot of second hand drives these days.
They are a dime a dosen and with an 8 bay storage server it is easy to just have 2 drives or redundancy + hot spare. And Proxmox that I use as the hypervisor on the server gives SMART data access as well.

Though, haven't had many drive failures over the years, but still a few and always nice knowing that the data is in more than just 1 place. (The server has RAID, and I have a second machine that I am working on making into a backup. Though no off site for now, other than a bit of cloud.)

30 minutes ago, SiliconMagician said:

HGST ultra stars are universally known to last forever, but unfortunately that product line doesn't really exist anymore.

WD Golds now use the ever reliable Ultrastar chassis. From what I've seen the design is widely unchanged.

Good luck for novice reading S.M.A.R.T. parameters.    
I'm amazed, the didn't go for the sector dalay scan, only error delay scan. Sector dalay scan in MHDD or Victoria it on of the most trueful test, that do give you actual state of the platter.

Spoiler
CPU : Intel 14gen i7-14700K
COOLER :  Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 White + thermaltake toughfan 12 white + Thermal Grizzly - CPU Contact Frame Intel 13./14. +  Coollaboratory Liquid Ultra
GPU : MSI RTX 2070 Armor @GPU 2050MHz Mem 8200MHz -> USB C 10Gb/s cable 2m -> Unitek 4x USB HUB 10 Gb/s (Y-HB08003)
MOBO : MSI MEG Z690 UNIFY
RAM :  Corsair VENGEANCE DDR5 RAM 64 GB (2 x 32 GB) 6400 MHz CL32 (CMK64GX5M2B6400C32)
SSD : Intel Optane 905P 960GB U.2 (OS) + 2 x WD SN850X 4TB + 2 x PNY CS3140 2TB + ASM2824 PCIe switch -> 4 x Plextor M8PeG 1TB + flexiDOCK MB014SP-B -> Crucial MX500 2TB + GoodRam Iridium PRO 960GB + Samsung 850 Pro 512GB
HDD : WD White 18TB WD180EDFZ + SATA port multiplier adp6st0-j05 (JMB575) ->  WD Gold 8TB WD8002FRYZ + WD Gold 4TB WD4002FYYZ + WD Red PRO 4TB WD4001FFSX + WD Green 2TB WD20EARS
EXTERNAL
HDD/SSD : 
XT-XINTE LM906 (JMS583) -> Plextor M8PeG 1TB + WD My Passport slim 1TB + LaCie Porsche Design Mobile Drive 1TB USB-C + Zalman ZM-VE350 -> Goodram IRDM PRO 240GB
PSU :  Super Flower leadex platinum 750 W biały -> Bitfenix alchemy extensions białe/białe + AsiaHorse 16AWG White 
UPS :  CyberPower CP1500EPFCLCD -> Brennenstuhl primera-line 8 -> Brennenstuhl primera-line 10
LCD :  LG 32UD59-B + LG flatron IPS236 -> Silverstone SST-ARM11BC
CASE :  Fractal R5 Biały + Lian Li BZ-H06A srebrny + 6 x Thermaltake toughfan 14 white + Thermalright TL-B8W
SPEAKERS :  Aune S6 Pro -> Topping PA3-B -> Polk S20e black -> Monoprice stand 16250
HEADPHONES :  TOSLINK 2m -> Aune S6 Pro -> 2 x Monoprice Premier 1.8m 16AWG 3-pin XLR -> Monoprice Monolith THX AAA 887 -> 4-pin XLR na 2 x 3.5mm 16 cores OCC 2m Cable -> HiFiMAN Edition XS -> sheepskin pads + 4-pin XLR na 2 x 2.5mm ABLET silver 2m  Cable -> Monoprice Monolith M1060 + Brainwavz HM100 -> Brainwavz sheepskin oval pads + Wooden double Ɪ Stand + Audio-Technica ATH-MSR7BK -> sheepskin pads + Multibrackets MB1893 + Sennheiser Momentum 3 +  Philips Fidelio X2HR/00 + JBL J88 White
MIC :  Tonor TC30 -> Mozos SB38
KEYBOARD : Corsair STRAFE RGB Cherry MX Silent (EU) + Glorious PC Gaming Race Stealth Slim - Full Size Black + PQI MyLockey
MOUSE :  Logitech MX ERGO + 2 x Logitech MX Performance + Logitech G Pro wireless + Logitech G Pro Gaming -> Hotline Games 2.0 Plus + Corsair MM500 3xl + Corsair MM300 Extended + Razer goliathus control
CONTROLLERS :  Microsoft xbox series x controller pc (1VA-00002) -> brainwavz audio Controller Holder UGC2 + Microsoft xbox 360 wireless black + Ravcore Javelin
NET :  Intel x520-DA2 -> 2 x FTLX8571D3BCV-IT + 2 x ASUS ZenWiFi Pro XT12
NAS :  Qnap TS-932X-2G -> Noctua NF-P14s redux 1200 PWM -> Kingston 16GB 2400Mhz CL14 (HX424S14IB/16) -> 9 x Crucial MX500 2TB ->  2 x FTLX8571D3BCV-IT -> 2 x Digitus (DK-HD2533-05/3)

4 hours ago, Mel0n. said:

WD Golds now use the ever reliable Ultrastar chassis. From what I've seen the design is widely unchanged.

Isn't it that both HGST Ultrastar and WD Gold are merged into 1 and became WD Ultrastar?

• 4 weeks later...

My 16TB Seagate Exos somehow managed to corrupt the files I just copied onto it with Total Commander. Most of the new files are 0 bytes and unreadable -- and even some folders appear as 0-byte files. I didn't disconnect the drive during copying or after or do anything else wrong or different than usual. The only thing is that I was away for 3 months and the drive was just sitting in a 5-bay JBOD enclosure.

The error appeared while I was syncing it with the backup drive which is another 16TB Exos in the same enclosure (Sabrent DS-SC5B). I am using FreeFileSync for this and haven't had any problems before. Now it actually pointed out that an older directory on the source drive that's been there since the day one was now corrupt.

A corruption was found in a file system index structure.  The file reference number is 0x10000000004e7.  The name of the file is "\~ COMMISSIONS\2015 -- Voices from the New Jungle\2015.08.1x -- Trip 2\video.gh4".  The corrupted index attribute is ":$I30:$INDEX_ALLOCATION".

I retried a few times and by then Windows was already offering me Chkdisk -- I quit FreeFileSync and let it do its thing and while the drive was declared error free, I had now those zero sized files and I am not sure if that's chkdisk doing or were there like that as soon as I copied them. Meanwhile, the directory above can be opened and seems fine.

There was no way to restore the files with any tools I tried (DMDE, DiskDigger, Recoverit) but SMART reports no errors, so I am thinking maybe just reformat it and give another go instead of sending it off to Seagate for replacement? I am in Europe and while I can ship it to Netherlands, they still redirect it to the US and it takes weeks and weeks to receive the replacement, all while being left without a proper backup. I only had the drive for less than a year and haven't used it that much although it's now 80% full of video footage.

What could have caused this and what are the odds of it happening again with SMART being positive? Do I do a full surface scan -- would that be enough?

Also, I was thinking maybe it's the JBOD enclosure I am using (Sabrent DS-SC5B) as I vaguely remember that there was another issue with a disk early on but it was an empty disk and I just reformatted it.

There's one other error I could find in Event Viewer at the time which is related to the disks, which is:

Disk 6 has the same disk identifiers as one or more disks connected to the system. Go to Microsoft's support website (http://support.microsoft.com) and search for KB2983588 to resolve the issue.

Disk 7 has the same disk identifiers as one or more disks connected to the system. Go to Microsoft's support website (http://support.microsoft.com) and search for KB2983588 to resolve the issue.

Upon quick research it seems like this doesn't affect functionality -- and it all worked fine before.

Thoughts?