What's up with my 3090?

BMW_X6_50i

Hi, i've had it for about a year and a half, i got random visual lags starting from.. mhh 6 months ago? im not really sure, sometimes i'd get black screens out of nowhere for a few seconds, then it would go back to normal, some open gl chrome apps would give me "lost opel gl context" message, i used to get a windows notification of something going wrong with the nvidia drivers, haven't had notification in a while, but still rarely got black screens out of nowhere.

sometimes i'd get visual glitches, i shrugged it off to windows being dumb because i had some issues at times, steam being laggy, so i didn't really care, my main screen takes a while to look normal when i boot up my pc when it's cold, i get a bunch of vertical lines and blinking, it goes away after a while, i shrugged it off to the screen being bad, but today..

chilling, the pc feels weird, and there's some artifacts going on, they kinda immediatly go away as i look at them, i decide to play some bo3 zombies, i immediatly get a shitton of artifacts on my 2 other screens, nothing weird on bo3 tho, i get to play for about a minute before the screen flickers black, goes back to normal for a few seconds, then immediatly flickers again, bunch of freezing happening, game alt tabs itself most likely coming from windows, i wait a little, then leave the game, the whole computer has microfreezes every 3-4 seconds, chrome and discord both have artifacts on them the likes of those:

image.thumb.jpeg.8649250a6109c40288ab993394e6b379.jpeg

that's too much, i decide to contact the support of the store i bought it at, it's still under legal warranty, i type my message etc, then i decide to check the prices of gpu coz it's been a while, i shouldn't have done that, everything turned weird and the right screen was just flickering, kinda scary

the artifacts were concealed to the window it was on, no matter where i dragged it on the screens, same on those very mild ones on the first picture, they stayed where they were IN the window

so i guess i'll return it anyway but i'd still like to know what u guys think about it?

specs: i7 9700k

32gb of ram, a mix of 2x8gb of ripjaws v (that i got around 2016) and 2x8gb of gskill sticks (around october 2020, one month before getting the 3090)

founder's edition 3090

rog thor 1300w psu

some pretty recent intel nvme ssd where windows is installed, windows is also a fresh install, drivers are almost the latest one, updating them didn't do anything the past few times i've gotten artifacts like these (tho it was MUCH more mild, basically like on the first picture), rebooting it fixed it, i'm mad that i didn't try to unplug my monitors and put them on the motherboard, it doesn't happen often enough that i can just try things, but i'd like to be sure it's a gpu issue and not actually something else lol

since it's been, as i said, happening very rarely, but still sometimes, so far i've had driver changes and windows reinstalls, those didn't fix it, none of my gear is overclocked, i have no issues performance wise in games in general (here's a recent passmark test https://www.passmark.com/baselines/V10/display.php?id=151786525802 )

your input is appreciated!

That is very scary 😟. If you can get a replacement unit. Otherwise it could be something with the bios but usually if a gpu does stuff like that something is very very wrong. 

oh UPDATE: my pc just did the screen blink, being my whole pc stops responding for a few seconds, black screens for a second and comes back, i decided to see what does shadowplay see , it only recorded the past 15 seconds, being the crash, here's what the video file looks like, (shadow play sucks anyway, never recording the screen i want lmao) 

i actually remember having shadow play instant replays looking like this before with this card, it was pretty rare though

2 minutes ago, BMW_X6_50i said:

oh UPDATE: my pc just did the screen blink, being my whole pc stops responding for a few seconds, black screens for a second and comes back, i decided to see what does shadowplay see , it only recorded the past 15 seconds, being the crash, here's what the video file looks like, (shadow play sucks anyway, never recording the screen i want lmao) 

i actually remember having shadow play instant replays looking like this before with this card, 

I hate to say it but seems like your 3090 is a goner. Get a replacement unit or send it in for repairs. That is nothing that software should be able to do. 

Probably failing VRAM. You should RMA. 

PC Setup: 

HYTE Y60 White/Black + Custom ColdZero ventilation sidepanel

Intel Core i7-10700K + Corsair Hydro Series H100x

G.SKILL TridentZ RGB 32GB (F4-3600C16Q-32GTZR)

ASUS ROG STRIX RTX 3080Ti OC LC

ASUS ROG STRIX Z490-G GAMING (Wi-Fi)

Samsung EVO Plus 1TB

Samsung EVO Plus 1TB

Crucial MX500 2TB

Crucial MX300 1TB

Corsair HX1200i

Peripherals: 

Samsung Odyssey Neo G9 G95NC 57"

Samsung Odyssey Neo G7 32"

ASUS ROG Harpe Ace Aim Lab Edition Wireless

ASUS ROG Claymore II Wireless

ASUS ROG Sheath BLK LTD'

Corsair SP2500

Beyerdynamic DT 770 PRO X (Limited Editon) & Beyerdynamic TYGR 300R + FiiO K7 DAC/AMP

RØDE VideoMic II + Elgato WAVE Mic Arm

Racing SIM Setup: 

Sim-Lab GT1 EVO Sim Racing Cockpit + Sim-Lab GT1 EVO Single Screen holder

Svive Racing D1 Seat

Samsung Odyssey G9 49"

Simagic Alpha Mini

Simagic GT4 (Dual Clutch)

CSL Elite Pedals V2

Logitech K400 Plus

What kills me is that it's completly random, yesterday i got 2 blackscreens in a row for no apparent reason, the second one never recovered, switching to motherboard output didn't display anything (but i don't think you can do that without enabling the intel apu iirc), and then nothing weird happend since, i started the rma process with nvidia but i'm afraid they'll just plug it in at their place and be like "it works, here's ur card back bb"

On 7/23/2022 at 1:25 AM, RMTM said:

Have you tried replacing your display cables?

not really, some are older monitors with display port adapters, one is very recent, but how could a cable induce all of that, at random, my pc doesn't move and neither do the cables, i'm honestly thinking driver issue from the black screens with the freeze right before, drivers could theorically mess up the rendering and cause artifacting?, but again how would it persist through multiple installs and driver updates (always with DDU) reeeee why can't it just work lmao

20 hours ago, BMW_X6_50i said:

What kills me is that it's completly random, yesterday i got 2 blackscreens in a row for no apparent reason, the second one never recovered, switching to motherboard output didn't display anything (but i don't think you can do that without enabling the intel apu iirc), and then nothing weird happend since, i started the rma process with nvidia but i'm afraid they'll just plug it in at their place and be like "it works, here's ur card back bb"

not really, some are older monitors with display port adapters, one is very recent, but how could a cable induce all of that, at random, my pc doesn't move and neither do the cables, i'm honestly thinking driver issue from the black screens with the freeze right before, drivers could theorically mess up the rendering and cause artifacting?, but again how would it persist through multiple installs and driver updates (always with DDU) reeeee why can't it just work lmao

Are you on stock setting? If your 3090 is overclocked, try restoring setting to it factory normal setting(out of the box). And re-install new driver using "Clean Install".

On 7/24/2022 at 1:26 AM, BMW_X6_50i said:

i'd try underclocking the memory from about 9500 to 8000 and see if that "fixes" it, just a shot in the dark before it's certified dead/rma/new card etc. 

5950x 1.33v 5.05 4.5 88C 195w ll R20 12k ll drp4 ll x570 dark hero ll gskill 4x8gb 3666 14-14-14-32-320-24-2T (zen trfc)  1.45v 45C 1.15v soc ll 6950xt gaming x trio 325w 60C ll samsung 970 500gb nvme os ll sandisk 4tb ssd ll 6x nf12/14 ippc fans ll tt gt10 case ll evga g2 1300w ll w10 pro ll 34GN850B ll AW3423DW

9900k 1.36v 5.1avx 4.9ring 85C 195w (daily) 1.02v 4.3ghz 80w 50C R20 temps score=5500 ll D15 ll Z390 taichi ult 1.60 bios ll gskill 4x8gb 14-14-14-30-280-20 ddr3666bdie 1.45v 45C 1.22sa/1.18 io  ll EVGA 30 non90 tie ftw3 1920//10000 0.85v 300w 71C ll  6x nf14 ippc 2000rpm ll 500gb nvme 970 evo ll l sandisk 4tb sata ssd +4tb exssd backup ll 2x 500gb samsung 970 evo raid 0 llCorsair graphite 780T ll EVGA P2 1200w ll w10p ll NEC PA241w ll pa32ucg-k

prebuilt 5800 stock ll 2x8gb ddr4 cl17 3466 ll oem 3080 0.85v 1890//10000 290w 74C ll 27gl850b ll pa272w ll w11

10 hours ago, RMTM said:

Are you on stock setting? If your 3090 is overclocked, try restoring setting to it factory normal setting(out of the box). And re-install new driver using "Clean Install".

nope, i don't ever overclock anything, fried a GTX 560 like that lol, i've been on my 1080ti for a day, not that long but i haven't had anything strange happen, immediatly got a blackscreen when i plugged my 3090 into another computer tho (might be from windows doing stuff and wondering where did the gpu go, might be the card doing whatever, i'm not sure, but i don't really trust the card anymore considering i only have 4 months of warranty left i'd rather just send it back, hoping they don't just go "it works" and send it right back lol

5 hours ago, xg32 said:

i'd try underclocking the memory from about 9500 to 8000 and see if that "fixes" it, just a shot in the dark before it's certified dead/rma/new card etc. 

well i've already taken it out, and artifacts really aren't that common, they still happen, with no reason, i don't recall ever having them while gaming at full load for hours, rtx on etc etc, but i agree i could have tried to underclock the memory, well thanks guys for your support in those scary times, and wish me luck with nvidia's rma process aha