B550 vs X570 for RYZEN 9 5900X

Go to solution Solved by Blue4130,
11 hours ago, keshavcolonel said:

one could also enter X570 territory. 

Your wording sounds like a budget x570. I'd take a great b550 over a budget x570 any day. (In fact I did. Also running a b550 mortar)

Hello everyone,

I was wondering which motherboard should I get for my PC. I currently own a Ryzen 9 5900X and Radeon RX580 8GB graphics card. I casually play and stream eSports titles such as csgo and valorant and use my pc for editing gameplay clips and photoshop.

My previous motherboard got bricked during the bios update and now it won't post a damn thing on my screen. Now I need to get a new motherboard but have no clue which one to get. I've heard that X570 doesn't come for m-ATX form factor. I've also heard that a B550 gets the job done in terms of gaming and streaming for long durations. AM4 platform is also at the end of life but motherboard prices haven't dropped enough.

So I want suggestions regarding which B550 or X570 one should pair with Ryzen 9 5900x

29 minutes ago, keshavcolonel said:

Hello everyone,

I was wondering which motherboard should I get for my PC. I currently own a Ryzen 9 5900X and Radeon RX580 8GB graphics card. I casually play and stream eSports titles such as csgo and valorant and use my pc for editing gameplay clips and photoshop.

My previous motherboard got bricked during the bios update and now it won't post a damn thing on my screen. Now I need to get a new motherboard but have no clue which one to get. I've heard that X570 doesn't come for m-ATX form factor. I've also heard that a B550 gets the job done in terms of gaming and streaming for long durations. AM4 platform is also at the end of life but motherboard prices haven't dropped enough.

So I want suggestions regarding which B550 or X570 one should pair with Ryzen 9 5900x

How many PCIe gen 4 nvme ssd you have?
If it's only 1, B550 will do. Unless you really need that much extra usb ports that x570 give.
B550 also doesn't use active cooling for chipset, so less thing that can fail/break.

If you want mATX, MSI B550m Mortar, TUF-GAMING-B550M-PLUS (matx version)
Personally my rig uses the MSI one, so far (1 year ish) it doesn't give me any problem.
Both option above have a bios flashback button, so you can update BIOS without a compatible CPU.

There is approximately 99% chance I edited my post

Refresh before you reply

ENGLISH IS NOT MY NATIVE LANGUAGE, NOT EVEN 2ND LANGUAGE. PLEASE FORGIVE ME FOR ANY CONFUSION AND/OR MISUNDERSTANDING THAT MAY HAPPEN BECAUSE OF IT.

1 minute ago, Poinkachu said:

How many PCIe gen 4 nvme ssd you have?
If it's only 1, B550 will do. Unless you really need that much extra usb ports that x570 give.
B550 also doesn't use active cooling for chipset, so less thing that can fail/break.

If you want mATX, MSI B550m Mortar, TUF-GAMING-B550M-PLUS (matx version)
Personally my rig uses the MSI one, so far (1 year ish) it doesn't give me any problem.

What processor do you own?

Just now, keshavcolonel said:

What processor do you own?

Same as yours

Refresh before you reply

ENGLISH IS NOT MY NATIVE LANGUAGE, NOT EVEN 2ND LANGUAGE. PLEASE FORGIVE ME FOR ANY CONFUSION AND/OR MISUNDERSTANDING THAT MAY HAPPEN BECAUSE OF IT.

9 minutes ago, Poinkachu said:

Same as yours

My previous motherboard used to thermal throttle my cpu and hwinfo showed the vrm temperatures above 105 degrees. That motherboard was Gigabyte B450m DS3H. Sometimes I also encountered BSOD on it.

9 minutes ago, keshavcolonel said:

My previous motherboard used to thermal throttle my cpu and hwinfo showed the vrm temperatures above 105 degrees. That motherboard was Gigabyte B450m DS3H. Sometimes I also encountered BSOD on it.

Well, so far I don't encoounter any BSOD on my cpu & board.

As for it's VRM capability :

Snipped from the thread above :

Mobo1.png

Refresh before you reply

4 minutes ago, Poinkachu said:

Well, so far I don't encoounter any BSOD on my cpu & board.

As for it's VRM capability :

Snipped from the thread above :

Mobo1.png

That's great to know. But sadly, all B550 boards start at $100 here in India and the MSI B550m Mortar Wifi costs around $190. At this price, one could also enter X570 territory. 

11 hours ago, keshavcolonel said:

one could also enter X570 territory. 

Your wording sounds like a budget x570. I'd take a great b550 over a budget x570 any day. (In fact I did. Also running a b550 mortar)

I have a couple of Asus Strix boards.

They both can handle my 5900X using PBO/CO and 4 sticks of B-Die with no problems.. My newer one came with an Asus Hyper M.2 card.. its pretty neat. It also has the same VRM setup as the Dark Hero.. its pretty tight. I am running 3x M.2's and have room for 3 more. Not using SATA atm.. but there if I need it.

AMD R9 5900X | Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 EVO, T30,TL-C12 Pro
Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero | 4x8GB G.Skill Trident Z @ 3733C14 1.5v
Zotac 4070 Ti Trinity OC @ 3045/1496 | WD SN850, SN850X, SN770
Seasonic Vertex GX-1000 | Fractal Torrent Compact RGB, Many CFM's