I Might Be Needing A New Headset - Just Some General Questions...

Kjennings92

Well, I didn't exactly anticipate making this post just yet, but I figured I would have to ask at some point, so I guess I might as well ask now. 🤷‍♂️ Better now than never, right?

Anyway, for the last 2 years-ish, I've been rocking the HyperX Cloud Revolver S for my over-ear audio. [Both regular audio duties when using my pc, but also while gaming.] And now, an observation I have made recently is that the left earcup on the headset actually has a small tear on the inside & I'm honestly not sure how it formed unless it was from like normal use over time. With that being said, I'm curious to know about something: For anyone who has owned or still owns this headset, are the earcups/earpads replaceable or interchangeable? 🤔 And I would assume that if they aren't, then that's when I would need to pitch them & get a different headset as a replacement which I wouldn't mind.

Now, on the subject of getting a different headset, I have a couple of questions. 

1.] As far as the earcups type that would be best, is it better to aim for a leatherette-type or some other type or quality of earpads in terms of breathability AND longevity? 🤔 [I'm asking because I prefer something that's quite high-quality/durable which would last a long time with little wear & tear. Also, unfortunately, my room is sort of small & not very well insulated which means my room gets hot & humid most of the year even WITH a ceiling fan on high to try & keep me cool.]

2.] Assuming I will need to replace my headset sometime in the next year-ish, can I get any solid recommendations/suggestions/advice for a great headset that would be a better choice? The main things I'm looking for in a headset include: Something both high-quality/durable with breathable earcups that won't make my ears hot or too warm, with great crystal-clear but balanced audio, & lastly, something preferably under $275 USD if possible.

So anyway, I'm hoping I can get some answers to these questions so I can have something to go on IF & WHEN I choose to replace my daily-driver headset. Of course, if anyone here happens to have any questions for me or if you just need more details, feel free to ask & I will be more than happy to reply! ^_^ Thanks in advance to anyone here whom can be of help! 👌

Edited by Kjennings92
Wrong term, wished to correct anyone who happens to view this post & help me out. :)

I would imagine the earpads are replaceable, most headphones are but not certain about headsets.  If they are replaceable then just do that.

Onto selecting a headset, I wouldn't make the earpads the primary factor in choosing them, rather if you absolutely need a headset I would narrow it down to ones that have replaceable ear cups and continue the selection process from there.

Ear pads in the audio world is an entire sub-genre in it's self as they are the cheapest way of changing sound signature without buying new equipment.  I have heard that there are cooling gel ear pads but I don't know enough about them.  I should find out more and get a pair because there are times that I have this issue as well.

I'll edit or reply again if I find anything

*I know nothing about these pads or their claims but I had a pair of brainwavz on my hifiman's for a good 2-3 years.  Brainwavz cooling gel earpads  *edit again: looks like you need revolver S specific pads, I just watched the video

and it looks like they are replaceable as in this video

Open-Back - Sennheiser 6xx - Focal Elex - Phillips Fidelio X3 - Harmonicdyne Zeus -  Beyerdynamic DT1990 - *HiFi-man HE400i (2017) - *Phillips shp9500 - *SoundMAGIC HP200

Semi-Open - Beyerdynamic DT880-600 - Fostex T50RP - *AKG K240 studio

Closed-Back - Rode NTH-100 - Meze 99 Neo - AKG K361-BT - Blue Microphones Lola - *Beyerdynamic DT770-80 - *Meze 99 Noir - *Blon BL-B60 *Hifiman R7dx

On-Ear - Koss KPH30iCL Grado - Koss KPH30iCL Yaxi - Koss KPH40 Yaxi

IEM - Tin HiFi T2 - MoonDrop Quarks - Tangzu Wan'er S.G - Moondrop Chu - QKZ x HBB - 7HZ Salnotes Zero

Headset Turtle Beach Stealth 700 V2 + xbox adapter - *Sennheiser Game One - *Razer Kraken Pro V2

DAC S.M.S.L SU-9

Class-D dac/amp Topping DX7 - Schiit Fulla E - Fosi Q4 - *Sybasonic SD-DAC63116

Class-D amp Topping A70

Class-A amp Emotiva A-100 - Xduoo MT-602 (hybrid tube)

Pure Tube amp Darkvoice 336SE - Little dot MKII - Nobsound Little Bear P7

Audio Interface Rode AI-1

Portable Amp Xduoo XP2-pro - *Truthear SHIO - *Fiio BTR3K BTR3Kpro 

Mic Rode NT1 - *Antlion Mod Mic - *Neego Boom Mic - *Vmoda Boom Mic

Pads ZMF - Dekoni - Brainwavz - Shure - Yaxi - Grado - Wicked Cushions

Cables Hart Audio Cables - Periapt Audio Cables

Speakers Kef Q950 - Micca RB42 - Jamo S803 - Crown XLi1500 (power amp class A)

*given as gift or out of commission

31 minutes ago, Psittac said:

I would imagine the earpads are replaceable, most headphones are but not certain about headsets.  If they are replaceable then just do that.

Onto selecting a headset, I wouldn't make the earpads the primary factor in choosing them, rather if you absolutely need a headset I would narrow it down to ones that have replaceable ear cups and continue the selection process from there.

Ear pads in the audio world is an entire sub-genre in it's self as they are the cheapest way of changing sound signature without buying new equipment.  I have heard that there are cooling gel ear pads but I don't know enough about them.  I should find out more and get a pair because there are times that I have this issue as well.

I'll edit or reply again if I find anything

*I know nothing about these pads or their claims but I had a pair of brainwavz on my hifiman's for a good 2-3 years.  Brainwavz cooling gel earpads  *edit again: looks like you need revolver S specific pads, I just watched the video

and it looks like they are replaceable as in this video

Well, at least that sounds somewhat promising tbh! [Even if you didn't answer my 1st question directly. But I'm not trying to fault you in a rude or harsh way; I just prefer direct answers to my questions. 🤷‍♂️ 🙂 ] Of course, I feel like the real challenge will be ACTUALLY finding a set of replaceable/interchangeable earpads if any are available that is. And if I CAN'T find any, then that will mean I'll actually have to get a new headset once it comes to that. BTW, did the video mention anything along those line or not? 🤔 Also, for anyone wondering, I probably meant to say the earcups where your ears rest; not earpads where your ears touch the driver(s). The post above will be corrected.

Edited by Kjennings92

11 minutes ago, Kjennings92 said:

Well, at least that sounds somewhat promising tbh! [Even if you didn't answer my 1st question directly. But I'm not trying to fault you in a rude or harsh way; I just prefer direct answers to my questions. 🤷‍♂️ 🙂 ] Of course, I feel like the real challenge will be ACTUALLY finding a set of replaceable/interchangeable earpads if any are available that is. And if I CAN'T find any, then that will mean I'll actually have to get a new headset once it comes to that. BTW, did the video mention anything along those line or not? 🤔 Also, for anyone wondering, I probably meant to say the earcups where your ears rest; not earpads where your ears touch the driver(s). The post above will be corrected.

Yeah, the video shows them being replaced and I think even has a link to buy them.  But here is a quick Amazon Search Result for them.  They are specific to that gaming headset I believe

*edit: these claim and look like they'll fit too, might be more breathable.  pads

Open-Back - Sennheiser 6xx - Focal Elex - Phillips Fidelio X3 - Harmonicdyne Zeus -  Beyerdynamic DT1990 - *HiFi-man HE400i (2017) - *Phillips shp9500 - *SoundMAGIC HP200

Closed-Back - Rode NTH-100 - Meze 99 Neo - AKG K361-BT - Blue Microphones Lola - *Beyerdynamic DT770-80 - *Meze 99 Noir - *Blon BL-B60 *Hifiman R7dx

IEM - Tin HiFi T2 - MoonDrop Quarks - Tangzu Wan'er S.G - Moondrop Chu - QKZ x HBB - 7HZ Salnotes Zero

Headset Turtle Beach Stealth 700 V2 + xbox adapter - *Sennheiser Game One - *Razer Kraken Pro V2

DAC S.M.S.L SU-9

Class-D amp Topping A70

3 minutes ago, Psittac said:

Yeah, the video shows them being replaced and I think even has a link to buy them.  But here is a quick Amazon Search Result for them.  They are specific to that gaming headset I believe

*edit: these claim and look like they'll fit too, might be more breathable.  pads

Yeah, to my eyes, these pretty much look like a replacement set almost as if they were from HyperX, even though I know they're not. Still, I might consider them, but then again, I could I could also talking directly with Kingston/HyperX about this & see if they offer anything or not. If not, it won't be the end of the earth; I may still get a better headset not that these suck. 😉

3 minutes ago, Kjennings92 said:

Yeah, to my eyes, these pretty much look like a replacement set almost as if they were from HyperX, even though I know they're not. Still, I might consider them, but then again, I could I could also talking directly with Kingston/HyperX about this & see if they offer anything or not. If not, it won't be the end of the earth; I may still get a better headset not that these suck. 😉

Well, it's a common statement around here that gaming headsets are not as good as a pair of headphones with a mic, and I agree with that.  But headsets offer convenience so they can be the right option depending on what your goals are.

DAC S.M.S.L SU-9

Class-D amp Topping A70

26 minutes ago, Psittac said:

Well, it's a common statement around here that gaming headsets are not as good as a pair of headphones with a mic, and I agree with that.  But headsets offer convenience so they can be the right option depending on what your goals are.

I agree, man! Like I haven't really gotten around to getting a regular set of actual headphones yet due to being unemployed. But when you go to think about it, headsets actually can take the place of headphones, but as you pointed out, it will depend on what you have in mind.