GPU Stutters Entire System When Launching Games

Birdie30

I have a friend who recently purchased a very high end system, he's a YouTuber and his channel has been making him good money this year, so he wanted to splurge. It is a boutique pre built, but its from a reputable German company.

Essentially what is happening, is when he launches a game that has a 2D rendered intro screen, or just on the first time launch of a game, the entire PC stutters really badly for a few seconds. He said his GPU utilization drops to about 6% with core clocks at 600mhz when this happens. Obviously, this isn't a big issue. It's just annoying more than anything. If anyone has a fix he'd appreciate it. Apparently this issue persists in games with 2D loading screens as well, but not for anything that has a 3D render. The only time he was able to (sort of) fix this problem is if he had, let's say a video he was watching, put on his primary monitor where the game would be, instead of on a different monitor. For some reason everything decides to run smoothly when he does that. Obviously that's not satisfactory though. 

We have another mutual friend who's also a Streamer and YouTuber who has a similarly specced PC and is having the same problem. I'm assuming anyone who uses high end Nvidia cards might run into the same issue. I've already gone over a few things with him, made sure he turned off the PC, updated drivers, I asked which slot they installed the card in and tried disconnecting monitors to isolate the problem etc. none of these seemed to make a difference. He had gone to customer support for the boutique builder, but they basically did the same thing I tried. All of my Google search tricks are getting me no good results for this here, which is why I'm asking LTT Forums for help now. Here's everything he's tried already and all the troubleshooting steps he's done:

-Turn PC ON/OFF (properly) 

-Update all drivers

-Update Windows

-Made sure GPU is installed in top PCI slot

-Completely reinstall Windows

-Change monitor refresh rates and resolutions to match

-Disconnect all but one monitor

-Moved games to a different SSD

System Specs:

AMD Ryzen 9 5950X
MSI MAG Z690 Tomahawk WIFI
RTX 3090 Ti
64GB G.Skill 3600 MHz DDR4, 16GBx4 (quad channel) 
1 TB Corsair MP600 PRO
2 TB Kingston SSD
6 TB Seagate Barracuda
1000W beQuiet! Straight Power 11

Does this happen in games that are both Fullscreen and borderless windowed, or just one or the other? I've had similar things happen in games that are running in Fullscreen, and I enable borderless windowed mode when possible.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

6 minutes ago, Fasauceome said:

Does this happen in games that are both Fullscreen and borderless windowed, or just one or the other? I've had similar things happen in games that are running in Fullscreen, and I enable borderless windowed mode when possible.

I have to wait for him to respond, but I have a feeling this will work. Big momento where I wish I would have thought of this, but I also play in borderless by default, the thought never even crossed my mind.

8 minutes ago, Fasauceome said:

Well, apparently he already tried that. Doesn't change anything.

1 minute ago, Birdie30 said:

I have to wait for him to respond, but I have a feeling this will work. Big momento where I wish I would have thought of this, but I also play in borderless by default, the thought never even crossed my mind.

You don't have to worry about amount of time it takes to respond, since the forum isn't an instant messging format. You can take as long as you need to type, edit, and include information.

What was your friend's last GPU? Were the old drivers removed using DDU?

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

2 minutes ago, Fasauceome said:

You don't have to worry about amount of time it takes to respond, since the forum isn't an instant messging format. You can take as long as you need to type, edit, and include information.

What was your friend's last GPU? Were the old drivers removed using DDU?

He never transfered any data like that from the old system to the new system, so none of that would really apply here. The only thing he would have swapped over are video files and documents, but he did all that through external drives etc.