Games and Guis with Python (Kivy) Am I wasting my time?

Wictorian
13 minutes ago, fpo said:

Swiss citizenship is very valuable. As is US, but it depends on what you want.

If you're not seeking a super luxury lifestyle living in California, I'd say aspire to be a Swiss programmer.

There's a lot of social programs in Switzerland that will protect you and your family, as well as what's considered a much better education system.

You're also very safe being surrounded by large NATO countries.

This isn't to say you cannot move to Switzerland again in the future. Something I've observed is that people really don't relocate though. Unless it's set in stone, you'll probably stay in the country/state you get your first job in.

You can be a contractor for US companies if you wish.

It's really up to you; I wouldn't focus on specific companies now.

The best advice I can give you to develop your skills is to get good at data structures, math, one language, and do some hacker ranks.

If you can build some large scale projects, and also have good skills, you'll do really well.

Develop yourself and learn to work with others. Make your decision on where to apply later.
At the very least, get a 2 year college degree to make your decision.

Yeah it is common for me to realize my math is not competent enough to solve some problems. 

About projects it is really hard for me to come up with an idea that I can maintain my motivation to build. Recently I think I have come up with 2 good ones though.

I really don't plan to get a degree. I havent completely made my mind but if I end up getting one it wont be about cs or even stem. I know some places require a degree but I also know some dont.

28 minutes ago, Wictorian said:

Yeah it is common for me to realize my math is not competent enough to solve some problems. 

There are so many textbooks out there. You can even take classes; if you have something like community college in switzerland, it's a great low cost way to get math education.

About projects it is really hard for me to come up with an idea that I can maintain my motivation to build. Recently I think I have come up with 2 good ones though.

Depending on what you want to do, that would dictate your projects.

Pick a field, see what jobs are in those fields and then you should be good to figure most of the rest.

I really don't plan to get a degree. I havent completely made my mind but if I end up getting one it wont be about cs or even stem. I know some places require a degree but I also know some dont.

If you go into tech, just get a small one at the very least. It's not that much time that you'll spend & you'll get some great insight.

As I've been told on here, a CS degree is to take a good programmer to make him a great programmer. You really don't get the full advantage without programming beforehand & with your pre-college studying, you'll do fantastic.

43 minutes ago, fpo said:

There are so many textbooks out there. You can even take classes; if you have something like community college in switzerland, it's a great low cost way to get math education.

Depending on what you want to do, that would dictate your projects.

Pick a field, see what jobs are in those fields and then you should be good to figure most of the rest.

If you go into tech, just get a small one at the very least. It's not that much time that you'll spend & you'll get some great insight.

As I've been told on here, a CS degree is to take a good programmer to make him a great programmer. You really don't get the full advantage without programming beforehand & with your pre-college studying, you'll do fantastic.

Then I can study while working.

I had downloaded bunch of e books from springer but they were far too difficult to understand.

51 minutes ago, Wictorian said:

Then I can study while working.

I had downloaded bunch of e books from springer but they were far too difficult to understand.

If you're having trouble, pay for a tutor. 

Teaching isn't magic, but it offers a lot of guidance that self learning and forums cannot offer.

• 3 weeks later...

In Python you'll learn key concepts in game development and programming so if you're already familiar with Python game development then you'll probably have an easier time transitioning to something else.

Speaking of changing to something else, you probably should. Python isn't really optimal for game development. It's slow, complicated and lacks a lot of tools you'll find elsewhere. I'd suggest switching to Unity as it has a lot of beginner level tutorials online and you could apply some of the concepts you learned from Python to it.

7 hours ago, Loomeh said:

In Python you'll learn key concepts in game development and programming so if you're already familiar with Python game development then you'll probably have an easier time transitioning to something else.

Speaking of changing to something else, you probably should. Python isn't really optimal for game development. It's slow, complicated and lacks a lot of tools you'll find elsewhere. I'd suggest switching to Unity as it has a lot of beginner level tutorials online and you could apply some of the concepts you learned from Python to it.

the point is I dont really want to get into game development. I just want to make one game.