TCL TV vs GREE AC - what do to with remote control? GREE turns on my TV.

NicodemPL

Hi

I bought recently new TCL TV and it has one major flow. When turning on GREE air conditioning with remote, it also turns on TCL TV now.

Any idea if there is a way to avoid it somehow beside pointing at GREE from special angle so no backflash to TV?

Its super annoying and shame.

BTW any idea why  this happens? Is this just Chinese vendors who aren't concerned about some IR codes compatibility or what?

1 hour ago, NicodemPL said:

Hi

I bought recently new TCL TV and it has one major flow. When turning on GREE air conditioning with remote, it also turns on TCL TV now.

Any idea if there is a way to avoid it somehow beside pointing at GREE from special angle so no backflash to TV?

Its super annoying and shame.

BTW any idea why  this happens? Is this just Chinese vendors who aren't concerned about some IR codes compatibility or what?

That’s a derp by either the manufacturer of the TV or the air con.  You could do it with a piece of black or green paper or tin foil.  IR, which is what the remote is emitting, is basically a little light bulb that flashes in a particular sequence. If you block either the receiver of the device in question or the emitter of the light the code cannot be passed.  You could take one of these  materials and roll it around the remote as a sort of hood so you would have to point the thing directly at the emitter for it to function.  The hood would prevent flashing about the room which is probably what turns on both devices.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

Frequent problem.  Remote on my Optoma will change colors on my LED shelving.  LED shelving remote will turn on the electric fireplace.  Too many things have potential to interfere.  When you add up how much useful bandwidth there is--you realize that some overlap will occur with some devices.  It's just random chance which ones you personally have--and how they will interact.

2 hours ago, IPD said:

Frequent problem.  Remote on my Optoma will change colors on my LED shelving.  LED shelving remote will turn on the electric fireplace.  Too many things have potential to interfere.  When you add up how much useful bandwidth there is--you realize that some overlap will occur with some devices.  It's just random chance which ones you personally have--and how they will interact.

It’s not radio.  No bandwidth in this case.  Well sort of anyway.  It’s an on-off code.  infra red light is infra red light.   The receivers aren’t specific enough to respond to only one band of light in the infra red spectrum.  This is laziness on the part of the manufacturers.  IR has thousands of codes.  They’re just not picking one and leaving it on the default for the hardware. Probably cheaper that way.  If this was endemic to iR every tv remote would work on every tv.

Edited by Bombastinator

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.