Need CPU help

Hi guys , 

I have a problem... at the moment I have an FX-6100 @ 4.1Ghz watercooled by a corsair H60. I do allot of 3D modelling and architectural rendering. One day a week I have acces to a workstation with dual-xeon's but for work during the week it just does not cut it.... I need cpu power and I need it every day..

What do I buy ?

I already have a descend AM3+ motherboard and if I would stick to AMD then an FX-9370 would seem a logical upgrade.

The other option is to move form AMD to intel and buy a 4770k and a started motherboard (budget reasons and I won't be overclocking from day1)

Other than that I have a GTX760 

6600K  |  16GB HYPERX  |  GTX1070 FE  |  Z170X-UD3  |  AIR540

Respect the past, Embrace the future.

Pretty sure intel is the way to go for the tasks you described. I would go with a 4770k, or if you have the budget a 4930k, but maybe thats just a bit overkill.

Most motherboards don't support the FX-9370. If you'd like to stick with AMD, I'd go for the FX-8350. Intel is probably the way to go though, if you have the budget.

Pretty sure intel is the way to go for the tasks you described. I would go with a 4770k, or if you have the budget a 4930k, but maybe thats just a bit overkill.

Not necessarily and probably not that good of a value as well. CAD renderers tend to be very well optimized for taking advantage of the fx 8 core's architecture. 

It's likely he'd be better off with a 8320 and getting access to more 8320, cheap older dual xeon, or other 'borrowed' render nodes if more power is needed unless he's working with some very heavy projects that wouldn't settle for anything lower than a 3930k.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.