Project UI design

Tea1337

I am in the base works of my program and reached the point where the UI is to basic and looks horrid, I am experimenting with colors and where all the controls are I am going to put pictures on the buttons to make them look nicer. Remember that I have only been working on this for a week and it's pretty rough, here is a SS of the program: http://prntscr.com/3dbjx9 I am looking for advice on the programs design, to make it flow nicely and is easy for users to use, and on a good looking color scheme that I could go with 

EDIT: I came up with this, not the best but it looks a bit better. http://prntscr.com/3dbqyt

so what is the question?

Forgot to add that, I am looking for advice on the programs design, to make it flow nicely and is easy for users to use.

Use an & before the text on buttons to make them usable with the ALT key (easy short cuts).

As for the actual design, keep it simple and keep it monkey proof (probably not a problem with your current program).

Forgot to add that, I am looking for advice on the programs design, to make it flow nicely and is easy for users to use.

What is it supposed to do? Is it for a school project?

If you are going to make a text processor like Word, you better have an idea of what it's special feature should be.

What is it supposed to do? Is it for a school project?

If you are going to make a text processor like Word, you better have an idea of what it's special feature should be.

It's for school, but once school ends I will continue development on it, I have it planned out for it's special features and trying to make the program efficient for low end systems.

It's for school, but once school ends I will continue development on it, I have it planned out for it's special features and trying to make the program efficient for low end systems.

try to make it minimalistic, have a solid full screen mode and shortcuts.

I'm not too sure how to place those buttons. Maybe have alot of customizability for colours and buttons? Just throwing ideas around

try to make it minimalistic, have a solid full screen mode and shortcuts.

I'm not too sure how to place those buttons. Maybe have alot of customizability for colours and buttons? Just throwing ideas around

Good ideas, I want to make it simple so every age can use it, but have advanced parts that people who know what they're doing can use it.

The image didn't show :(

"THE RED ARMY"

| INTEL i5 4690K | GIGABYTE Z97X GAMING 3 | XFX R9 390X | CORSAIR VENGEANCE PRO 4x2 8GB 1600Mhz | CORSAIR H80i | XFX XTR 650W | 1TB WESTERN DIGITAL CAVIAR BLUE | ADATA SP600 256GB | LOGITECH G502 | CORSAIR VENGEANCE 1400 | CORSAIR K70 MECHANICAL RED | NZXT S340 |