Ryzen 5 1600x ram support question.

According to specs ryzen 1600x can support max 2667mhz ram. https://www.amd.com/en/products/cpu/amd-ryzen-5-1600x
So if i will go past that pc will not boot? Because i have 3000mhz xmp ram, that doesnt boot. But it does at 2400mhz, 2667 is not stable, first i thought it didnt boot because of not updated bios.(mobo is b450m pro 4 bios p1.10).

It should be able to run at higher speed, but you may have to update the BIOS. The rated speed is just the officially supported speeds.

I ran ram at 3200MT/s with my R7 1700X just fine after some BIOS updates. Ryzen struggled a bit in the beginning with RAM support.

From what I can see ASRock does not recommend any newer than BIOS version 3.5 for your CPU gen.

You can also check the QVL if your particular RAM kit has been verified to work

https://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/B450m Pro4/#MemorySR

If you want me to answer, please use the quote function or tag me. I dont get notified unless you do

Here's some handy tips from Robert Hallock on improving compatibility on 1st gen Ryzen.

15 minutes ago, Tegneren said:

It should be able to run at higher speed, but you may have to update the BIOS. The rated speed is just the officially supported speeds.

I ran ram at 3200MT/s with my R7 1700X just fine after some BIOS updates. Ryzen struggled a bit in the beginning with RAM support.

From what I can see ASRock does not recommend any newer than BIOS version 3.5 for your CPU gen.

You can also check the QVL if your particular RAM kit has been verified to work

https://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/B450m Pro4/#MemorySR

CMK8GX4M1D3000C16 this is my ram, its not on the list, but it works i guess. Will try new bios, probably 2.0.

There is no reason NOT to just go for version 3.5. Just remember to install the driver they mention in the bios description first.

The QVL dont mean much in most cases as it only tells what they bothered to test. But as mentioned, early Ryzen was a bit picky, so for best result its a good idea to use it.

If you want me to answer, please use the quote function or tag me. I dont get notified unless you do

Also if im going to update bios, how much time usually it takes, because im worried that power cut might happen, and then mobo might turn into brick.

12 minutes ago, Tegneren said:

There is no reason NOT to just go for version 3.5. Just remember to install the driver they mention in the bios description first.

The QVL dont mean much in most cases as it only tells what they bothered to test. But as mentioned, early Ryzen was a bit picky, so for best result its a good idea to use it.

So if i have latest gpu driver then i dont need anything else. Also i need to update to 2.0 first anyway before 3.5, and if it will help with overclock ill stay on that version. Also who knows when some random power cut can happen that will turn my mobo into brick.

Check the bios upgrade notes before you update.

There may be a bios version that requires previous bios versions to be installed, and you can't upgrade directly to a much newer version.

There may be a bios version from which support for the Ryzen 1xxx processor is dropped to add support for Ryzen 5xxx processors for example.

AMD has recently released an AGESA package (it's a file created by AMD which is included in all BIOSes) that supports ALL Ryzen processors, but at some point in the past this was not the case, and some motherboard manufacturers had to drop support for some Ryzen series (ex all Ryzen 1xxx) to add support for the newer Ryzen processors. 

An update should typically take less than 2-3 minutes.

12 minutes ago, PaintMaster said:

Also if im going to update bios, how much time usually it takes, because im worried that power cut might happen, and then mobo might turn into brick.

The flashing itself should take only a few minutes, so unless the power in your area are really unstable you will probably be fine.

6 minutes ago, PaintMaster said:

So if i have latest gpu driver then i dont need anything else. 

The driver package is for more than GPU, and the GPU part of it is only for iGPU(which you dont have), not for the graphics card.

7 minutes ago, PaintMaster said:

Also i need to update to 2.0 first anyway before 3.5, and if it will help with overclock ill stay on that version.

True. I didn't read all the description.