OLED for gaming?

silk186

I'm looking to buy a 75" TV for movies and gaming. Is it ok to go with OLED? Do I need to worry about burn-in? I will be buying the TV in China and using an apple tv with plex for my video content (1080p and 4k). Gaming will be over steam link, switch and I will probably pick up a PS5. Is OLED burn in no longer a problem or should I look at a Samsung QN95B Neo or something from LG? What's the best 75" options for movies and gaming?

Gigabyte Aorus 15G :: i7-10870H CPU :: 3080 :: DDR4 3200 2x16GB :: 1TB + 2TB SSD :: Gigabyte M32Q :: Edifier MR4

I've been using an LG B9 intensively for over 2 years. No signs of burn in (yet?). Based on reports it seems to depend on how bright you set the display. So if you use it in a bright area and turn it up, you're at higher risk.

Gaming system: R7 7800X3D, Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming Wifi, Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB, Corsair Vengeance 2x 32GB 6000C30, RTX 4070, MSI MPG A850G, Fractal Design North, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Alienware AW3225QF (32" 240 Hz OLED)
Productivity system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, 64GB ram (mixed), RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, iiyama ProLite XU2793QSU-B6 (27" 1440p 100 Hz)
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

47 minutes ago, porina said:

I've been using an LG B9 intensively for over 2 years. No signs of burn in (yet?). Based on reports it seems to depend on how bright you set the display. So if you use it in a bright area and turn it up, you're at higher risk.

Is supposed to be reduced in newer OLED tvs like the LC C2?

Gigabyte Aorus 15G :: i7-10870H CPU :: 3080 :: DDR4 3200 2x16GB :: 1TB + 2TB SSD :: Gigabyte M32Q :: Edifier MR4

Burn in continues to improve little by little with each generation.  I've been using an LG B9 for 2.5 years with no burn in so far (sometimes a static image will leave a very faint ghost for a short time), and another one of the guys here has also been using an LG OLED for a few years with no problems that I've heard about.  Overall performance is some of the best in class for gaming with great color and an excellent refresh rate.

4 hours ago, VIVO-US said:

Burn in continues to improve little by little with each generation.  I've been using an LG B9 for 2.5 years with no burn in so far (sometimes a static image will leave a very faint ghost for a short time), and another one of the guys here has also been using an LG OLED for a few years with no problems that I've heard about.  Overall performance is some of the best in class for gaming with great color and an excellent refresh rate.

That is reassuring to hear. Is the LG C2 the best option right now for movies/gaming in 75-77"

OLED, good HDR, HDMI 2.1. QD-OLED would be great but I haven't seen any larger than 65".

19 hours ago, silk186 said:

Is supposed to be reduced in newer OLED tvs like the LC C2?

You need to look at your spesific model. LG C2 or G2 or Sony A95K/J has better burn-in protection because they came with a heat spreader which can be used to enhance brightness but also reduce the risk of burn-in. 

If your model doesn't has that, then it's should have just about as good anti burn-in as any OLED. That said, if your primary use case is gaming and content consumption then it should be fairly minimum (depends on how hard your game of course but unless you are one of those people who game full time everydays, then it should be fine)

On 7/11/2022 at 9:57 PM, e22big said:

You need to look at your spesific model. LG C2 or G2 or Sony A95K/J has better burn-in protection because they came with a heat spreader which can be used to enhance brightness but also reduce the risk of burn-in. 

If your model doesn't has that, then it's should have just about as good anti burn-in as any OLED. That said, if your primary use case is gaming and content consumption then it should be fairly minimum (depends on how hard your game of course but unless you are one of those people who game full time everydays, then it should be fine)

It seems that the Sony A95K/J does not come in sizes larger than 65" so I will go see the C2 and G2 in person see what my my situation is with mounting in the flat.

1 hour ago, silk186 said:

It seems that the Sony A95K/J does not come in sizes larger than 65" so I will go see the C2 and G2 in person see what my my situation is with mounting in the flat.

Ah sorry, I was wrong about one detail, only G2 model come with the heatsink. C2 has Evo panel which is more efficient and should have a reduced risk of burn-in but they don't have special hardwares that help facilitated that like G2.

On 7/14/2022 at 3:47 AM, e22big said:

Ah sorry, I was wrong about one detail, only G2 model come with the heatsink. C2 has Evo panel which is more efficient and should have a reduced risk of burn-in but they don't have special hardwares that help facilitated that like G2.

Interesting, I thought that G2 would have a lower risk of burning compared to C2 because of the extra cooling. I just checked reddit and it seems that OLED burn in is no longer a major issue. In that case I will probably get a C2 to save some money and upgrade again in a few years.

3 hours ago, silk186 said:

Interesting, I thought that G2 would have a lower risk of burning compared to C2 because of the extra cooling. I just checked reddit and it seems that OLED burn in is no longer a major issue. In that case I will probably get a C2 to save some money and upgrade again in a few years.

It's still an issue. You just have to check one of the LTT video of Linus himself having that issue, it's just that the chance is pretty minimum as a pure media consumption and gaming display (in other word, as a TV basically) but if you are using it in PC environment, the risk's still there, especially for extended use.