Should I sell my RX 5700 before the next big launches?

Hello everyone, 

I have a question. I'll summarise my situation:

- Bought an RX 5700 for 300€ back in 2020

- Still have ~1 year of warranty remaining

- Main monitor is 1440p 144hz.

- I want to upgrade because most games only have 100fps on mid settings.

- I have a 650W power supply

- Currently I can sell it used for 310€ (LOL)

Here is the question:
Should I sell my GPU shortly before the launch of RTX 40 and RX 7000?

I have 150-200€ free on hand to use extra which would make me have about 460-510€ for a new GPU.

Would it make sense for me to buy an RTX 4070 or an RX 7700XT? I am concerned it my 650W power supply will have enough power to power the new GPUs.

Should I also upgrade to a 900W power supply? Those things are expensive but maybe I can get a good used one and sell my current one instead

Just now, Somerandomtechyboi said:

Specific psu?

If you can sell it for 310 then why not?

For psu concerns that can be negated with undervolting (compensate with vram overclock)

It's a BeQuiet Straight Power 11 Gold. 

Just checked and I can get an EVGA SuperNova GT 850 for 80€. I can sell mine for about 50€. I am fine selling the PSU in the worst case.

1 minute ago, xManok said:

It's a BeQuiet Straight Power 11 Gold. 

Just checked and I can get an EVGA SuperNova GT 850 for 80€. I can sell mine for about 50€. I am fine selling the PSU in the worst case.

Thats a very solid deal on a very good psu, not neccessary but if you got leftover budget then why not

3 minutes ago, Somerandomtechyboi said:

Thats a very solid deal on a very good psu, not neccessary but if you got leftover budget then why not

My PSU should have a good fail safe tech, right? I prob can just try to run the pc with the GPU and PSU together and if it shuts down I'll just buy it later. Or is there any danger on such a high quality PSU?

If you want to sell, sell sooner rather than later. Market prices will not hold if the crypto situation gets worse plus nvidia is just sitting on a ton of stock with 3000 series so 4000 won't hit till late this year. If you don't have a backup to game on right now then you just have to play it by ear but I suspect it'll be far less worth it in a few months to hock your gpu.

This probably wouldn't happen this time around but last generation a lot of people that sold early had nothing to buy to replace what they sold.  If the prices are insanely low when I get my 4080/4090 I may put it in the 2nd machine and just sell the 3060.  Typically though the price will drop extremely low but come up a bit once most people that are going to sell have sold.  Probably to about the level of what they are today at least until new budget cards come out.

AMD 7950x / Asus Strix B650E / 64GB @ 6000c30 / 2TB Samsung 980 Pro Heatsink 4.0x4 / 7.68TB Samsung PM9A3 / 3.84TB Samsung PM983 / 44TB Synology 1522+ / MSI Gaming Trio 4090 / EVGA G6 1000w /Thermaltake View71 / LG C1 48in OLED

Custom water loop EK Vector AM4, D5 pump, Coolstream 420 radiator

On 7/10/2022 at 10:58 AM, xManok said:

Hello everyone, 

I have a question. I'll summarise my situation:

- Bought an RX 5700 for 300€ back in 2020

- Still have ~1 year of warranty remaining

- Main monitor is 1440p 144hz.

- I want to upgrade because most games only have 100fps on mid settings.

- I have a 650W power supply

- Currently I can sell it used for 310€ (LOL)

Here is the question:
Should I sell my GPU shortly before the launch of RTX 40 and RX 7000?

I have 150-200€ free on hand to use extra which would make me have about 460-510€ for a new GPU.

Would it make sense for me to buy an RTX 4070 or an RX 7700XT? I am concerned it my 650W power supply will have enough power to power the new GPUs.

Should I also upgrade to a 900W power supply? Those things are expensive but maybe I can get a good used one and sell my current one instead

You're assuming the best scenario possible, selling the current GPU for more than you paid before the release of the new cards, and being able to buy a new card at MSRP on release date. Chances of this going wrong are high, so keep that in mind. I personally don't sell GPUS prior to having a new one at hand. That saved me big when the 3000 series were released and it was as hard as it gets to get one (at MSRP from a dealer).