Console Peasant who wants to get into PC gaming!

Hey everyone! I am new here and i just signed up for an account so I could post on the forum. I have been a console gamer all of my life, from my Dad's NES to my first Playstation one, all the way to current day. But a few years ago I was gifted an old Dell XPS tower that had an I7 720 and 12 GB of RAM. I went on amazon and bought myself my first ever graphics card the GTX 1060 6GB. and I loved it! I played games like Skyrim, Fallout New Vegas, Fallout 4, and various indie games I picked up on steam sales. Anyway fast forward and Spectre and Meltdown come out and I'm freaking out. I watched a bunch of YouTube videos on the subject. I unplugged my PC from the internet and kept gaming for a while until I found out that they were going to send out patches to fix the problem. So I plugged back into the internet and wouldn't you know it? My PC was too old to be able to get the patch! So I unplugged again from the internet and havent been able to play PC games for quite some time. Well fast forward again and I really miss playing Modded Skyrim and Fallout NV and Fallout 4. So I want to buy myself a gaming pc. I still have my 1060 6GB and would like another pre built that I can slap that into and re use some of the HDD from my old Dell. But I dont want to go with a Dell or an HP because they use proprietary motherboards and cases. which I found out so I couldnt even upgrade my old Dell to bring it into modern times. I am very new to PC gaming as that old dell I souped up a few years ago was my first and only foray into the glorious world of PC gaming. I would appreciate recommendations for Pre Built PC's. My budget would be around 1,000 dollars US. Thanks for reading my long story. I hope that I can get back into PC gaming and enjoy both consoles and PC.

Assuming you wanna game at 1080p I would stick the with 1060 and just put together a basic PC. If you find yourself wanting a new GPU wait until after the 4000 series drops this fall.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X 3.7 GHz 6-Core Processor  ($174.99 @ Amazon) 
Motherboard: MSI B550-A PRO ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($133.97 @ Amazon) 
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory  ($68.98 @ Amazon) 
Storage: Samsung 870 Evo 1 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($111.11 @ Amazon) 
Case: Fractal Design Focus G ATX Mid Tower Case  ($49.99 @ Walmart) 
Power Supply: Corsair RM (2021) 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  ($97.49 @ Corsair) 
Total: $636.53
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2022-07-10 01:11 EDT-0400

I was checking out pc part picker and every time I tried to build a Ryzen PC it kept warning me about the motherboard. Something with a bios update? 

I was hoping to get by with my 1060 until I could get something like a 4070 

Get something like this.

PCPartPicker Part List

Motherboard: MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX II ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($108.98 @ Newegg) 
Memory: TEAMGROUP T-Force Delta RGB 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 CL18 Memory  ($59.99 @ Newegg) 
Storage: Intel 670p 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  ($84.99 @ Newegg) 
Case: Lian Li LANCOOL 215 ATX Mid Tower Case  ($99.99 @ Newegg Sellers) 
Power Supply: Corsair RM (2021) 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  ($94.99 @ Newegg) 
Total: $623.93
Generated by PCPartPicker 2022-07-10 02:07 EDT-0400

7 minutes ago, AnimeAddict7 said:

I was hoping to get by with my 1060 until I could get something like a 4070 

46 minutes ago, AnimeAddict7 said:

I was checking out pc part picker and every time I tried to build a Ryzen PC it kept warning me about the motherboard. Something with a bios update? 

When Zen 3 CPUs first came out, older motherboards required a BIOS update to support them. PCPP is warning you "just in case". If you buy a new board now, it's very unlikely to require an update, unless the vendor had the board just sitting in their inventory for 2+ years.

If you get a board with BIOS flashback support, it's quite simply to update. Download the BIOS (on some other machine), put it on a USB stick, plug that into the USB port that's labeled as flashback, then press the button next to it to start the update. Otherwise you'd need an older (already supported) CPU to perform the update, before you could use the new CPU. As I said, it's unlikely at this point in time this is still needed.

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

11 hours ago, Daniel Z. said:

Get something like this.

PCPartPicker Part List

Motherboard: MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX II ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($108.98 @ Newegg) 
Memory: TEAMGROUP T-Force Delta RGB 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 CL18 Memory  ($59.99 @ Newegg) 
Storage: Intel 670p 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  ($84.99 @ Newegg) 
Case: Lian Li LANCOOL 215 ATX Mid Tower Case  ($99.99 @ Newegg Sellers) 
Power Supply: Corsair RM (2021) 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  ($94.99 @ Newegg) 
Total: $623.93
Generated by PCPartPicker 2022-07-10 02:07 EDT-0400

I really like this build! I noticed that you didn't include a CPU cooler. is that because the stock AMD cooler is ok to use for this build?

On 7/10/2022 at 10:39 AM, AnimeAddict7 said:

I really like this build! I noticed that you didn't include a CPU cooler. is that because the stock AMD cooler is ok to use for this build?

Yeah, the stock cooler will be fine. Will run hot and loud but not really an issue.