Thunderbolt 3 Optical Cable with a USB Gen 3.2 Type-C port on Motherboard?

Maximilian18

Hi All,

I was just wondering if Corning's Thunderbolt 3 Optical Cables would work at all with the USB-C Gen 3.2 port on the rear I/O of my ROG Strix X570-I Gaming Motherboard?

I'm looking to extend my desktop into another room for a 4k 120hz display to go with the single 2k 100hz ultrawide I have in my office.

This would make 2 displays total.

Even if this solution did work I'd only have CPU graphics if I'm not mistaken which is obviously not what I want so I'd have to use this just for USB peripherals and run a DisplayPort 1.4a or 2.0 cable along side it.

We're talking a distance of 5-7m at a guess. Furthermore, if I have to deploy this solution and I'm not using the USB-C cable for a display, could I get away with running a 10m USB-C cable if it's just for mouse, keyboard and a gaming controller?

If anyone can think of a better solution please for the love of god let me know!

Things I've already looked at:

1. I'm aware of the Asus ThunderboltEX 4 expansion card and other such PCI-E based expension cards. However, I have an Mini-ITX Motherboard that only has a single PCI-E slot for my GPU. Also, I'm not sure if that would work as I think you need to have a Motherboard that is already Thunderbolt compatible?
  2. I'm aware that there is a very similar Motherboard that does have Thunderbolt 3 support. The ASRock X570 Phantom Gaming ITX/TB3. However, I belive that if I were to use the Thunderbolt 3 port on that Motherboard I still have the problem in that I'd be using CPU Graphics.

no.. different use, thunderbolt use it as signal cable.. the usb c port on your mainboard delivers power too.. you need a card that already has thunderbolt with port. 

If you want 4k move the system next to monitor.. max lengt is 2m on displayport. 

you can get it to 15m but only 1080p. 

you could use a thunderdock, if mainboard have thunderbolt onboard. since it's a mini-itx you can only mount gpu there as you said. 

i know from laptops. it's possible to select what GPU you are using through the thunderdock. not sure this setup can be used on desktop too.. but theoretical it should be possible.