Type of CPU for Linux Machine?

I do most of my gaming and productivity on an Alienware r17, but I've got some money lying around and want to build a Linux Machine because there's a good few things I do that require Linux, and I'm a pretty competent maker so I plan on making a custom case and doing a mini itx build. 

What direction should I go in for CPU? I know for compiling and the like I'm after multi-threaded performance, but what's the best route? I plan to spend around 300-400$ on the components, and wondering what route I should take; something like a 12th gen i3, or an older used i7? I plan to spend around 300-400$ on the components not counting custom materials for the case. Picking a CPU is the part I am least confident on. I want the best performance I can get of course, but to be fair a lot of this build is just for fun 😄 NOT a gaming machine, might use it for media but don't need to crank out those high single core clocks or blazing FPSs.

any help appreciated!! 

Budget (including currency): 300-400 USD

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: just a Linux Machine, maybe some media

Other details building a custom case! Plan to use a modular power supply just to make that easier but might not if it hurts my budget too much.

Budget: AMD Ryzen 7 1700 (used, Aliexpress)

Mid-range: AMD R7 3700/5700 (new or used)

High performance: AMD Threadripper

Hard-core: AMD EPYC 3151 SoC (server-grade stuff, usually integrated on a mainboard already, Asrock Rack and Gigabyte have suitable boards)

Alternatives include R5 4600G and R7 4750G (both APU's) if you don't (want to) spend money on a GPU.

"You don't need eyes to see, you need vision"

(Faithless, 'Reverence' from the 1996 Reverence album)

"Linux machine" is a very broad term. That could be anything from a Ryzen 9 5900X spending its life doing crazy shit with Arch right on down to Puppy Linux on a Pentium II.

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

The i3 12100 is the budget king right now, surpassing all previous gen budget build options unlike what was the case in previous years.

It outperforms the immediate go-to, which is an i5 a few generations old to get cheap from the office lease cycle systems like the i5 8500/9500. It’s better than the i5 9500

You can squeak in around there with an i3 1200 and the lowest tier SFX PSU Silverstone has (I assume you'd want an SFX PSU if the point is to be SFF) and already have a drive to use for boot: 

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/DFhbwc

CPU: Intel Core i3-12100 3.3 GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($129.98 @ B&H) 
Motherboard: Gigabyte Z690I AORUS ULTRA LITE DDR4 (rev. 1.0) Mini ITX LGA1700 Motherboard  ($150.99 @ Newegg) 
Memory: Silicon Power GAMING 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory  ($46.99 @ Amazon) 
Power Supply: Silverstone SX300-B 300 W 80+ Bronze Certified SFX Power Supply  ($67.78 @ Amazon) 
Total: $395.74
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2022-07-05 17:52 EDT-0400

If you don't have a drive you can get a cheap ADATA or SK Hynix SSD for ~$30, they're usually fine for linux box tinkering unless you have a need for more space.

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch