Missing settings in Windows 10

MABennett

Hi everyone, 

I've been trying to fix a laptop issue a friend of mine has been having and I'm completely stumped.

Most of the settings within windows 10 has disappeared. Creating a new user has the same issue, sfc /scannow doesn't flag anything up, cleaning the registry hasn't helped, I've also used cmd codes, powershell reinstalls, virus scans and nothing has worked.

I have been trying to find a away to get this working again without having to do a complete reinstall of windows. So in a last ditch attempt, I'm here.

Has anyone come across this issue before?

If so, what causes it and for the love of God, how do I fix it?!

Any and all help will be greatly appreciated. 

20220703_095300.jpg

20220703_095308.jpg

Current Build - UserBenchmarks: Game 25%, Desk 37%, Work 34% - CPU: AMD FX-8350 - 44.8% - GPU: Nvidia GTX 660 - 25.3% - HDD: Seagate ST2000LM003 HN-M201RAD 2TB - 37.7% - HDD: Samsung Spinpoint F4 2TB - 3.2% - HDD: WD Green 2TB (2011) - 59% - HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 2TB - 85.3% - RAM: Unknown 2x8GB - 46% - MBD: Asus M5A97 EVO R2.0 - Conclusion = Potato.

What you can do is an repair install of windows, this should keep all your files and might fix the issue

1 hour ago, ItsYaBoiKasper_ said:

What you can do is an repair install of windows, this should keep all your files and might fix the issue

i have tried to do this however have not been able to get the laptop to accept or start a repair install from a USB. if you have a guide that i can follow, that would be great.

1 hour ago, MrMase said:

That looks like the type of behaviour I would expect if group policy had been applied to the machine.
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/troubleshoot/windows-client/group-policy/use-settings-app-group-policy

when looking at the group policy editor, everything says that they are not configured. is there a certain setting that i need to be looking at and make sure it is enabled or disabled?

Current Build - UserBenchmarks: Game 25%, Desk 37%, Work 34% - CPU: AMD FX-8350 - 44.8% - GPU: Nvidia GTX 660 - 25.3% - HDD: Seagate ST2000LM003 HN-M201RAD 2TB - 37.7% - HDD: Samsung Spinpoint F4 2TB - 3.2% - HDD: WD Green 2TB (2011) - 59% - HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 2TB - 85.3% - RAM: Unknown 2x8GB - 46% - MBD: Asus M5A97 EVO R2.0 - Conclusion = Potato.

1 hour ago, MABennett said:

i have tried to do this however have not been able to get the laptop to accept or start a repair install from a USB. if you have a guide that i can follow, that would be great.

when looking at the group policy editor, everything says that they are not configured. is there a certain setting that i need to be looking at and make sure it is enabled or disabled?

The link provided previously shows the specific settings to look for, however it was a longshot to look for that option but mentioned as it can replicate your issue precisely.

Did your friend purchase the laptop, or is it given to them by their work/school organization?

If it is on the organizations domain it is likely following their policies, and they don't want you to have those rights.