Huge problem with my computer

Hi everyone I am ahving a huge problem with my computer. I am getting constant stutter between 59 and 60 fps and the screen keeps stuttering. I have figured out that the problem is not my video card by testing it in another system and the probelm still happened when I put a Saphire Radeon card. But the Saphire Radeon card did not have the problem as bad and it required less power. But the problem was still there and I have no idea how to fix it. I also downloaded Gpu-Z and it says the slot is 16x but it is running at 8x. The video card is not in the slot closest to the Cpu but that slot is blocked. I also tried putting it in the one other slot that was open and the problem was exactly the same. I would love if anybody could tell me software of hardware problems that I might have.  I have tried the card in all other slots and nothing has been fixed so I have no idea what to do

Thanks in Advance

Specs:

i5 3570k

EVGAGefoce GTX 670 SC 4gb

MSI Z77A-G45 motherboard

Coolermaster Silent pro M 1000W power supply

16gb G.skill RipjawZ ram

1tb Harddrive at 7200rpm

Corsair Neutron SSD 256Gb

Please tell em anything else that you might need to know or any tests that you want me to run!

It sounds like you might be having tearing, have you tried enabling Vsync in games?

Setup Video -----------Peasant Crushing Specs----------- 4K Benchmarks

-CPU- i7 3930k @4.8GHz 1.4v -Mobo- Asus Rampage IV Extreme -GPUs- 2x GTX Titan Hydrocopper SLI -RAM- 32GB (8x4GB) Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz -Storage- 500GB Samsung 840 SSD | 2TB WD Green HDD

-Monitors- 3x BenQ XL2420T | 1x Dell U2713HM -Mouse- Steelseries Rival -Keyboard- Corsair K70 Cherry MX Brown -Headphones- Audio Techinca ATH-M50 -Microphone- RØDE NT1-A

Found this slightly interesting topic on the ROG site forum.

http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?40784-From-60-fps-to-59-fps-seeing-a-stutter

"
No, it's not normal. And you can avoid stuttering (But not in skyrim...).
In most cases stuttering happens when you use v-sync and can't get 60fps and more 100% of time. Whenever your fps drops at least to 59 fps stuttering happens. What you can do is:
1. Buy newer video card to get stable 60+ fps.
2. Lower some settings to get stable 60+ fps. (Run some benchmark with fraps and confirm you get 60 fps all the time)
3. Turn off v-sync. (Not an option at all. Screen tearing is just as bad as stuttering)
4. Wait for g-sync monitors.
5. Overclock. (In some cases it's enough)
6. See group three...
Except for first group of games there are games which have broken in-game v-sync. You can confirm it by running game without v-sync and see if it runs 60+fps 100% of time, but with v-sync turned on there are stutters.
What you can do:
1. Turn off in-game v-sync.
2. Go to Nvidia control panel.
3. Manage 3D setting > Program Settings.
4. Chose your game from list and change:
4.1 Maximum pre-rendered frames to 1.
4.2 Vertical sync to Adaptive.
Play your game stutter-free now.

Examples of these games: Source games (HL2, Episodes, Portal, Portal 2, CS:GO, etc.). In-game v-sync is totally broken now (it wasn't earlier). Adaptive v-sync is the solution.
Mafia 2 sutters for me with in-game v-sync. Adaptive v-sync completely fixes stuttering.
Many other games.
Group three is the group of games which are horribly optimized. GTA4 is one of them.
To play it smooth you have to overclock your CPU. In my case I oced it to 4.4 GHz to get 30+fps. Then, when you are sure your MINIMUM in-game fps is 31-32, go to Nvidia control panel, do steps 1-4 from last group of games, but change V-sync to Adaptive (half refresh rate).
You can experience smooth gameplay now but get controller for these games since input lag is really heavy now. Playing with keyboard+mouse is the disaster... If you are ex-console player there is nothing wrong about 30fps gaming for you. Anyway it will be much smoother gameplay than you can experience on consoles.
Group four. Totally broken games. Nothing can fix stutters. Yes, Skyrim IS in it.
Nothing you can do about it...
"

The consensus elsewhere is that there is nothing much you can really do about it :/

Compatible with Windows 95

Hi everyone I am ahving a huge problem with my computer. I am getting constant stutter between 59 and 60 fps and the screen keeps stuttering. I have figured out that the problem is not my video card by testing it in another system and the probelm still happened when I put a Saphire Radeon card. But the Saphire Radeon card did not have the problem as bad and it required less power. But the problem was still there and I have no idea how to fix it. I also downloaded Gpu-Z and it says the slot is 16x but it is running at 8x. The video card is not in the slot closest to the Cpu but that slot is blocked. I also tried putting it in the one other slot that was open and the problem was exactly the same. I would love if anybody could tell me software of hardware problems that I might have.  I have tried the card in all other slots and nothing has been fixed so I have no idea what to do

Thanks in Advance

Specs:

i5 3570k

EVGAGefoce GTX 670 SC 4gb

MSI Z77A-G45 motherboard

Coolermaster Silent pro M 1000W power supply

16gb G.skill RipjawZ ram

1tb Harddrive at 7200rpm

Corsair Neutron SSD 256Gb

Please tell em anything else that you might need to know or any tests that you want me to run!

First, your font is all blacked out. Anyone using Dark Theme can't see what you're typing.

Quick question before I spew some advice.

Is this with a particular game? If so, which?

Or, is it with any/all games you try?

Also, is your CPU cooler blocking the x16 PCIe slot, or what?

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

« Current PC ~ Phantom Beast »

.::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::.

I have actually gotten a new heatsink and I have accesed the new slot and the new slot acts the exact same but it runs at 16x. This happens in all games and the weird thing is is that there is tearing and it seems to be only in one part of the screen. I dont know if that has anything to do with the Fps dropping but I have noticed that. The 59-61 fps problem that I am having is most prominent in League of Legends and that is when I have V-sync enabled but when it is not enabled the screen is tearing very badly even with the screen unlocked. Please get back to me if you have anymore Ideas.

Could it maybe be my ram and also there will be more messages on the other page so dont forget to go to page 2

I have actually gotten a new heatsink and I have accesed the new slot and the new slot acts the exact same but it runs at 16x. This happens in all games and the weird thing is is that there is tearing and it seems to be only in one part of the screen. I dont know if that has anything to do with the Fps dropping but I have noticed that. The 59-61 fps problem that I am having is most prominent in League of Legends and that is when I have V-sync enabled but when it is not enabled the screen is tearing very badly even with the screen unlocked. Please get back to me if you have anymore Ideas.

Sceen tearing sucks but in time critical games just learn to live with it. It is posible that there is a bottleneck between the CPU HDD and GFX. Though it may be very slight it can be enough to cause lower frame rates and tearing. This is a guse from personal experince.  When i bought my second gtx760ti for playing skyrim the only remaing limmiting factor on my frame rates was time for the GFX and CPU to acess the data on the HDD.  I purchased a SSD and put my OS Skyrim and BF3 on the drive. After doing so my frame rates went from about 53-60 FPS to 60 flat with rare ocurences of  tearing and frame drops. So in conclusion my recomendation would be to upgrading to a SSD for your most time critical games. It worked for me maby it will work for you. It all realy depends on the cause of the bottleneck.

I will do the best I can to help in any way. However I am not all knowing and realize that I can be wrong. If you know something I said is not factual please speak up and provide myself and otters reading reading the thread with the facts proving it. I'm not just here to help others learn I'm also here to learn myself. "An investment in knowledge always pays the best interest." Benjamin Franklin    

Hey thank you for the reply. I actually have an SSD already but what is GFX and do you think there is bottleneck by my Cpu? I would love to know what GFX is.Thanks

Hey thank you for the reply. I actually have an SSD already but what is GFX and do you think there is bottleneck by my Cpu? I would love to know what GFX is.Thanks

This is going to be a wall of text so hang on tight. GFX is a shorthand way of saying Graphics card. For the short answer upgrade your GFX card. Things to check would be your memory, what port on the MOBO, motherboard, the SSD is plugged into, and last the GFX solution. What to check on the memory is that it is running in Double channel or better. How many channels is the bandwidth between the CPU and the RAM.  The most common now is double channel memory, intel has some CPU's that support triple and even quad channel memory. The best way to describe channels is like describing how fast you can get materials to a manufacturing plant. if there is only one road going into the plant what it can produce is limited by the amount of materials that it can receive at a time. with two roads you effectively double the theoretical output of the plant. but you also have to keep in mind the ability of the plant to process the raw materials. The plant aka CPU can only process so much at a time that is a possible limiting factor.  I looked at the benchmark on your processor and it has a score of 7,180 on http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=Intel+Core+i5-3570K+%40+3.40GHz . So the processor is most likely not the bottleneck. The way to check what how many channels your memory is running in is by using CPU-Z. Go to the memory tab and at the top right it will say what mode. If it is running in single channel somthing is wrong with the way your DIMM's are aranged in the slots, but double or more is just fine.  Next The port the on the MOBO the SSD is plugged into. SSD are excellent for random read right speeds and in games with large textures this makes a big difference. Having a SSD is great but if it is plugged into a 3Gb port and not a 6Gb port the speed of the SSD is about useless because the bandwidth of the buss is so small it can't transfer data to the processor as fast as it can read it. Check your MOBO documentation to check the it is pluged in right place. Allright take a breath last bottleneck. 4GB of VRAM is good for 3D graphics and games with large textures, but the GPU, Graphics Processing Unit, was good at the time but on many modern games you should realy consider a new GFX card. your curent card has a score of 5,382 a 770 has a score of 6,214 and both cost about the same. The other option, what i would do, would be to get a second 670 and run them in SLI to increase the graphics perfprmance. But if you d this make shure to get the same modle card with teh same amount of VRAM otherwise it wolnt work. This has been a long poast but i hope it helped you better undersatnd bottlenecks. I used spell check this time your welcome and have a nice day=)

I will do the best I can to help in any way. However I am not all knowing and realize that I can be wrong. If you know something I said is not factual please speak up and provide myself and otters reading reading the thread with the facts proving it. I'm not just here to help others learn I'm also here to learn myself. "An investment in knowledge always pays the best interest." Benjamin Franklin    

Amazing answer I am getting another Video card for Sli in June so that will hopegully fix the problem I will but the Sta cable in a new connection also

Hey I tried my computer with an HD 7850 and the problem happened a lot less so I think it might be the GFX card but I am not sure

First, your font is all blacked out. Anyone using Dark Theme can't see what you're typing.

That's an issue that Linus would need to fix with the dark theme. Everyone shouldn't be expected to change the default font color just because of the people who choose to use the dark theme. 

OP, as to your issue, your GPU is more than enough to expect a stable 60fps. But the one spec that is missing from your posts is what resolution are you trying to play it. It's good that you switched your GPU to the top slot on your MOBO, as that is usually the best spot for your GPU. You also said the GPU worked just fine in another system, and that other GPUs have the same issue when tested in the computer that uses the 670, but not as severe as with the 670. That makes me think your MOBO may be bad. That's what all the signs point to.

i7 2600K @ 4.7GHz/ASUS P8Z68-V Pro/Corsair Vengeance LP 2x4GB @ 1600MHz/EVGA GTX 670 FTW SIG 2/Cooler Master HAF-X

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/3591491194

Yes I tried it with the Amd card and it only used a single 6 pin connector. The problem happened a lot less but it still did happen. I am running all games at 1920x1080. I am really getting mad at this problem... It has been going on for 3 months now and I can not find a solution.

Since I moved the video card to the top slot it has started running at 16x but it hasnt changed anything

Yes I tried it with the Amd card and it only used a single 6 pin connector. The problem happened a lot less but it still did happen. I am running all games at 1920x1080. I am really getting mad at this problem... It has been going on for 3 months now and I can not find a solution.

Since I moved the video card to the top slot it has started running at 16x but it hasnt changed anything

Well, your PSU is total overkill for your system. So, unless the PSU is bad, it should not matter how much power the different GPUs require. You'd have no issues running that system, as is, on a 500w PSU. That is one other thing you can test though, swap out the PSU and see if you still have the issue. I still believe it's the MOBO that is bad because a bad PSU will cause a blue screen or total power loss and not screen flickering/tearing at a specific FPS.

I'd also suggest doing these tests both on your primary monitor and a second monitor to help rule out the monitor as the problem.

i7 2600K @ 4.7GHz/ASUS P8Z68-V Pro/Corsair Vengeance LP 2x4GB @ 1600MHz/EVGA GTX 670 FTW SIG 2/Cooler Master HAF-X

Trust me it isnt the monitor because I have bought more than one monitor testing if it was the monitor

So is there a way I can test the Motherboard?

I did Speed test for some reason just to rule that out too

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/3464629848 That is the link to my score

DONT FORGET TO GO TO PAGE 2

Trust me it isnt the monitor because I have bought more than one monitor testing if it was the monitor

So is there a way I can test the Motherboard?

I did Speed test for some reason just to rule that out too

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/3464629848 That is the link to my score

You test the MOBO by ruling everything else out.

You say the 670 works fine in a different computer and other GPUs have the same issue that the 670 does when used in the computer that you normally use the 670 in. That means the GPU is not the problem.

You say you've tested everything with multiple monitors, so that means the monitors it not the problem.

Next would be to test the PSU. Put the PSU into another computer and test that other computer with the both the 670 and the 7850 you have. If you don't have the issue, than it means the PSU is good.

If all of those things check out, then it's the MOBO that is causing your problem.

I highly doubt it's the CPU because you would have other system stability issues if it was the CPU. There is one more thing that I doubt, but also test with just 1 stick of RAM installed, testing each stick of RAM like that one at a time. Again, like the CPU, bad RAM would cause other system issues and not just a fps stutter. With the MOBO, there could be a variety of issues with the PCI lanes that can cause your GPU to not be able to communicate with the rest of the system properly. A capacitor on the board could have field, or a soldering point may have failed. That would also explain why the second slot was running at only x8.

Just so you know, almost all GPU's don't benefit from 16x. 8x is fine for all GPU's so you won't see any help in switching slots.

Just so you know, almost all GPU's don't benefit from 16x. 8x is fine for all GPU's so you won't see any help in switching slots.

True, dual chip cards like the 295 x2 would be the type of card that benefit from x16. But the fact that the second slot on his MOBO is running at x8 and not the x16 that it's supposed to run at, is an indication of a possible problem with the MOBO.

Is there any chance at all that it could be ram because if there is I can run Memtest

Is there any chance at all that it could be ram because if there is I can run Memtest

I said in one of my posts that it's possible, but not very likely. The best way to test if you have a bad RAM module is to test them one at a time. Meaning, turn off system, remove all but 1 stick of RAM, turn system on and test your issue. Then repeat that for each stick of RAM you have. If the issue never goes away, then the RAM is not the issue because it's statistically improbable that all your RAM sticks are bad. 

I tried the Ram and nothing changed... So it is basically guaranteed that it is the Motherboard?

True, dual chip cards like the 295 x2 would be the type of card that benefit from x16. But the fact that the second slot on his MOBO is running at x8 and not the x16 that it's supposed to run at, is an indication of a possible problem with the MOBO.

Most Mobo's only have one 16x slot and the rest are 8x. Most likely he just has one 16x and one 8x.