$4000 Extreme Build

Go to solution Solved by Guest,
23 minutes ago, BobTheBuilder99 said:

Yeah honestly I'm not sure where that build came from. Thanks for your tips they have been helpful. Do you have any other concerns about my build that I should be aware of? I really appreciate just another person taking a good look at it for me.

This is pretty much the same performance for a lot less money. Only main difference is the cpu. So you just lose the extra e cores and of course the cpu is locked (You can still unlock power limits). For gaming there wouldn't be any difference at 4K and it would be pretty even at 1440p. 

So the other thing to look at would be whether the extra 4 e cores make a difference for Graphics design. Websites like Puget systems are a good source of info for suggested hardware assuming the software being used is there. 

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i7-12700F 2.1 GHz 12-Core Processor  ($312.96 @ Newegg) 
CPU Cooler: Scythe Fuma 2 Rev.B 39.44 CFM CPU Cooler  ($65.98 @ Amazon) 
Motherboard: MSI MAG B660 TOMAHAWK WIFI DDR4 ATX LGA1700 Motherboard  ($189.99 @ Amazon) 
Memory: TEAMGROUP T-Force Delta RGB 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory  ($109.99 @ Newegg) 
Storage: Western Digital Black SN850 2 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  ($239.99 @ Amazon) 
Video Card: MSI GeForce RTX 3080 Ti 12 GB VENTUS 3X OC Video Card  ($999.99 @ Amazon) 
Case: Phanteks Eclipse P400A Digital ATX Mid Tower Case  ($109.99 @ Amazon) 
Power Supply: Corsair HX1200 Platinum 1200 W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  ($224.99 @ Amazon) 
Total: $2253.88
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2022-07-02 13:16 EDT-0400

Budget (including currency): $3600 USD before tax

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: I want this computer to run maximum workload for its price

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc): 

I have this list - https://pcpartpicker.com/list/BfLBTn

I mostly am looking to see if anyone can spot major flaws, inconsistencies, or if something is incompatible. I want to get the best parts possible and I am opting for ddr5 so I can upgrade my memory in yhe future. I also want to use i9-12900k to get as much cpu raw performance. Additionally I went for a 3080ti instead of a 3090 (ti) because the performance in my opinion is not large enough for price. Plus the card i picked has water cooling so I can hopefully can over clock it.

Last note I know the power supply is a little overkill but they last a while and I want one with loads of head room for power hungry components on the future. Also don't worry about suggesting monitors I'm good in that front.

Thanks and if you have any questions I plan to monitor this till the day I buy the build and if you guys want I can post end result pics. Thanks!!!

What is the pc being used for ?

There are lots of overpriced parts for starters.

Resource intense games and some graphics design. Its going to be an all around gaming/workstation. I want to be confident that it can do everything I need it to for a long while. I'm okay spending a some extra for that.

Workload is not specified, what workload do you need it to run? Peak gaming performance is already achievable with a ~2k i7 12700f + 32gb ram + 3080 build so spending 4k mostly on garbage (overpriced psu, fans, board, ddr5, etc.) Is pretty damn pointless

If you want futureproof ddr5 then 7000+ overclock minimum, no overclock = no futureproofing so have fun drowning in outdated slow rams after 4 years

I'm purposefully avoiding going full out on ddr5 because it looks like prices might going down and the technology will develop. Thats why I stayed a little back on that. Is there any reason I should go all the way now?

31 minutes ago, BobTheBuilder99 said:

I want to get the best parts possible and I am opting for ddr5 so I can upgrade my memory in yhe future.

Alder Lake memory controller has serious issues with more than 2 sticks of DDR5 or any faster than what has been selected. You have maxed out the memory according to the QVL.

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.

1 minute ago, brob said:

Alder Lake memory controller has serious issues with more than 2 sticks of DDR5 or any faster than what has been selected. You have maxed out the memory according to the QVL.

Interesting I did not know this. Is this all hardware or do you think there is chance of this being fixed in the future? Idk if thats a dumb question but thats why I ask.

1 minute ago, BobTheBuilder99 said:

Interesting I did not know this. Is this all hardware or do you think there is chance of this being fixed in the future? Idk if thats a dumb question but thats why I ask.

It's principally the memory controller on the CPU. I suppose there is always a chance of a microcode update that improves the situation, but I wouldn't count on it.

Intel is already concentrating on its soon to be released Raptor Lake desktop CPU. Couple that with the imminent release of RTX 4000 GPU and one might decide to wait for the fall before getting a new system.

4 minutes ago, Somerandomtechyboi said:

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/KyMdxs

This is more workstation oriented if the totally overkill ram capacity wasnt obvious enough, for an intel version itd be a 12900(f) + z690 ud/aero g ddr4

No.

15 minutes ago, BobTheBuilder99 said:

Explain please? 

It's just a random build with no thought on what you actually need. Suggesting 128GB Ram and a 5950X makes no sense if you don't know what the software is or if it can make full use of it. More cores/ram isn't always better. Just depends on the software/workload.

39 minutes ago, lee32uk said:

It's just a random build with no thought on what you actually need. Suggesting 128GB Ram and a 5950X makes no sense if you don't know what the software is or if it can make full use of it. More cores/ram isn't always better. Just depends on the software/workload.

Yeah honestly I'm not sure where that build came from. Thanks for your tips they have been helpful. Do you have any other concerns about my build that I should be aware of? I really appreciate just another person taking a good look at it for me.

27 minutes ago, BobTheBuilder99 said:

Do you have any other concerns about my build that I should be aware of?

Besides what people have said above, gpus with integrated aios usually have a way smaller lifespan than their non aio counterparts as when the pump fails on the gpu, it's almost impossible to repair. Getting a regular 3 fan gpu would probably last longer and be cheaper.

23 minutes ago, BobTheBuilder99 said:

This is pretty much the same performance for a lot less money. Only main difference is the cpu. So you just lose the extra e cores and of course the cpu is locked (You can still unlock power limits). For gaming there wouldn't be any difference at 4K and it would be pretty even at 1440p. 

So the other thing to look at would be whether the extra 4 e cores make a difference for Graphics design. Websites like Puget systems are a good source of info for suggested hardware assuming the software being used is there. 

PCPartPicker Part List

Motherboard: MSI MAG B660 TOMAHAWK WIFI DDR4 ATX LGA1700 Motherboard  ($189.99 @ Amazon) 
Memory: TEAMGROUP T-Force Delta RGB 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory  ($109.99 @ Newegg) 
Storage: Western Digital Black SN850 2 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  ($239.99 @ Amazon) 
Video Card: MSI GeForce RTX 3080 Ti 12 GB VENTUS 3X OC Video Card  ($999.99 @ Amazon) 
Case: Phanteks Eclipse P400A Digital ATX Mid Tower Case  ($109.99 @ Amazon) 
Power Supply: Corsair HX1200 Platinum 1200 W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  ($224.99 @ Amazon) 
Total: $2253.88
Generated by PCPartPicker 2022-07-02 13:16 EDT-0400

22 minutes ago, Ryuikko said:

Besides what people have said above, gpus with integrated aios usually have a way smaller lifespan than their non aio counterparts as when the pump fails on the gpu, it's almost impossible to repair. Getting a regular 3 fan gpu would probably last longer and be cheaper.

Curious, I was aware that aio gpus have more points of failure and thus break down sooner. Is it likely that the aio breaks down before the card is obsolete? And if you really recommend the non aio version, would you think the EVGA 3 fan edition of the card be a suitable replacement and still be very capable?

12 minutes ago, BobTheBuilder99 said:

Is it likely that the aio breaks down before the card is obsolete?

It depends. I'd expect the average aio to  last somewhere around ~6 years. I'm not sure the build tolerances and the proficiency of the pump, but that's what id average. If you plan it to use it longer than that, then I'd go for a regular 3 fan card. 

Another negative would probably be resale value, as I'm not sure people would want to buy a pump that's on the brink of failure.

Most 3 fan cards would be fine so evgas card would be no exception, but you can find some for cheaper.

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/pb2L4s

Motherboard: MSI MAG B660 TOMAHAWK WIFI DDR4 ATX LGA1700 Motherboard  ($189.99 @ B&H) 
Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro SL 32 GB (4 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory  ($144.99 @ Amazon) 
Storage: Western Digital Black SN850 2 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  ($239.27 @ Amazon) 
Video Card: MSI GeForce RTX 3080 Ti 12 GB GAMING X TRIO Video Card  ($1049.99 @ Amazon) 
Case: Phanteks Eclipse P400A Digital ATX Mid Tower Case  ($99.99 @ Newegg) 
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA G6 1000 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  ($139.99 @ Amazon) 
Total: $2243.16
Generated by PCPartPicker 2022-07-02 14:13 EDT-0400

A personal preference but 850w still enough.