New PSU - NVIDIA 4000 series question

NE0XY

Might be a foolish question, but I'm looking to upgrade my PSU and I'm most likely getting another 1200W to fit my needs. However, I'm wondering if maybe this is a bad time to be buying a new PSU, considering new GPUs might soon be launched and there are rumors of new connectors and stuff? What do you think? Maybe I should even go higher than 1200W? 

Currently running 12900K, 3080 and a whole bunch of watercooling. 

And the trend seems to be that everything eats more and more power... 

4 minutes ago, NE0XY said:

but I'm looking to upgrade my PSU and I'm most likely getting another 1200W to fit my needs

Which PSU do you currently have?

Like what we saw with AIB partner cards with 3000 generation I think a lot will be cards with the existing 8 pin PCIe connectors. For the new 12pin 12VHPWR connector it'll be possible to adapt from 8pin PCIe connectors or to buy 12VHPW cables that work with existing power supplies like this Nvidia (3000 series) 12pin cable Corsair sells for their power supplies.

I would honestly just wait to see what happens with next generation cards first, and importantly how they perform compared to current gen cards since you already have a 3080.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

Well i think 1200W For one gpu in a system will work just fine. even at max load it will run longer but if you are experimenting with new components get 1600W 

4 hours ago, NE0XY said:

Might be a foolish question, but I'm looking to upgrade my PSU and I'm most likely getting another 1200W to fit my needs. However, I'm wondering if maybe this is a bad time to be buying a new PSU, considering new GPUs might soon be launched and there are rumors of new connectors and stuff? What do you think? Maybe I should even go higher than 1200W? 

Currently running 12900K, 3080 and a whole bunch of watercooling. 

And the trend seems to be that everything eats more and more power... 

1200W should be suitable for any of the next gen cards.

On 7/2/2022 at 3:25 PM, Spotty said:

Which PSU do you currently have?

Like what we saw with AIB partner cards with 3000 generation I think a lot will be cards with the existing 8 pin PCIe connectors. For the new 12pin 12VHPWR connector it'll be possible to adapt from 8pin PCIe connectors or to buy 12VHPW cables that work with existing power supplies like this Nvidia (3000 series) 12pin cable Corsair sells for their power supplies.

I would honestly just wait to see what happens with next generation cards first, and importantly how they perform compared to current gen cards since you already have a 3080.

Thanks!

Currently have an EVGA Supernova 1200 p2 from 2014. 

On 7/2/2022 at 3:39 PM, ARC_ said:

Well i think 1200W For one gpu in a system will work just fine. even at max load it will run longer but if you are experimenting with new components get 1600W 

Thanks!

On 7/2/2022 at 7:32 PM, jonnyGURU said:

1200W should be suitable for any of the next gen cards.

Thanks!

1 hour ago, NE0XY said:

Thanks!

Currently have an EVGA Supernova 1200 p2 from 2014. 

Why are you changing it ? Assuming it still functions ok then reuse it. 

10 hours ago, lee32uk said:

Why are you changing it ? Assuming it still functions ok then reuse it. 

Yeah I'm not in a rush, but doesn't hurt to look around and be prepared for when the time comes. 

It is approaching end of warranties (and end of rec life?) and stuff and I don't want to risk anything, psu go boom is not pretty 😄 

Okay I'm exaggerating a little but yeah. 

5 hours ago, NE0XY said:

Yeah I'm not in a rush, but doesn't hurt to look around and be prepared for when the time comes. 

It is approaching end of warranties (and end of rec life?) and stuff and I don't want to risk anything, psu go boom is not pretty 😄 

Okay I'm exaggerating a little but yeah. 

Sure no harm in looking, but you have a quality psu already. It should also still be under warranty if you bought it in 2014. Maybe wait for the ATX 3.0 units and that way you won't have to bother with adapter cables.