I'm looking for a hardware monitor app that can display data on the taskbar or on the system tray.

shadow_ray
Go to solution Solved by GoodBytes,
On 7/2/2022 at 12:14 PM, shadow_ray said:

Like how the hell windows can display stuff like this?

widget_on_taskbar.jpg?trim=1,1&bg-color=

What's the name of this feature? Can user applications do this? Where should I look for API documentation?

Yes. Taskbar, Context Menu, and File Explorer support the concept of extensions. There is just no management panel for them.

The APIs are there, Lenovo, for example, used to include a redundant battery meter on the taskbar, similarly to the Weather that you see for its laptops. I've toyed with this API ages ago as well. You just need a software that supports it.

I've been using OpenHardwareMonitor for this. Unfortunately the system tray icons are not the most convenient:

- it doesn't allow the use of labels (only allows color coding)

- it uses a weird square for percentage values

- it clamps some values to the nearest integer (not a problem for temps but i would like to see more gradual changes in memory usage for example)

- tray icons can become hidden

image.png.cafcad70aaf786ad50d03dd3908a6025.png

The gadget is quite cool but i have to hide open windows with WIN + D key to see it and use the key combo again to bring the apps back.

image.png.cbf3238815b799e0b2239e71938d839a.png

Are there any good alternatives out  there?

ಠ_ಠ

What's the name of this feature? Can user applications do this? Where should I look for API documentation?

ಠ_ಠ

On 7/2/2022 at 12:14 PM, shadow_ray said:

Yes. Taskbar, Context Menu, and File Explorer support the concept of extensions. There is just no management panel for them.

The APIs are there, Lenovo, for example, used to include a redundant battery meter on the taskbar, similarly to the Weather that you see for its laptops. I've toyed with this API ages ago as well. You just need a software that supports it.

• 1 month later...
On 7/4/2022 at 7:26 AM, GoodBytes said:

For the record, this is the thing i was looking for: https://github.com/dsafa/CSDeskBand

ಠ_ಠ

• 6 months later...