Mounting a Monitor on the Ceiling

TechTippee
Go to solution Solved by An0maly_76,

As long as it's securely mounted, but with typical ceiling heights, doing this with anything less than a 50" is futile, you won't be able to read it. I should know, I have a 55" about a foot above my head and about eight feet ahead of me, and I find it hard to read my browser without an extra 20%-30% zoom.

With that said...

"Monitors on the ceiling, pink keyboards and mice... and she said...

'We are all just gamers in here, of our own device...'

And all the master gamers, have never even ceased...

They stab it with their RGB sticks, but it's not fazed in the least..."

Sorry, I'm an Eagles fan, and I just couldn't help myself...

Greetings TechTippers,

I was thinking about mounting a 24-27" monitor to my ceiling (anchored to a rafter, of course). Any reason this shouldn't work, as long as I get an adequately sturdy arm?

As long as it's securely mounted, but with typical ceiling heights, doing this with anything less than a 50" is futile, you won't be able to read it. I should know, I have a 55" about a foot above my head and about eight feet ahead of me, and I find it hard to read my browser without an extra 20%-30% zoom.

With that said...

"Monitors on the ceiling, pink keyboards and mice... and she said...

'We are all just gamers in here, of our own device...'

And all the master gamers, have never even ceased...

They stab it with their RGB sticks, but it's not fazed in the least..."

Sorry, I'm an Eagles fan, and I just couldn't help myself...

Edited by An0maly_76
Revised, more info

I don't badmouth others' input, I'd appreciate others not badmouthing mine. *** More below ***

MODERATE TO SEVERE AUTISTIC, COMPLICATED WITH COVID FOG

Due to the above, I've likely revised posts <30 min old, and do not think as you do.

THINK BEFORE YOU REPLY!

25 minutes ago, An0maly_76 said:

with typical ceiling heights, doing this with anything less than a 50" is futile, you won't be able to read it.

Ceiling's 8' tall, I'd want it at a height around 36" off the ceiling. Would you recommend going for a 50" arm still?

2 minutes ago, TechTippee said:

Ceiling's 8' tall, I'd want it at a height around 36" off the ceiling. Would you recommend going for a 50" arm still?

Probably. And to clarify, I mean a 50" display, not a 50" arm. I can barely read my 55" display from similar distance even at 20-30% zoom. And a 50" won't be as clear as a 55", so factoring for that, yeah, I'd say you should go with at least a 50", obviously angled somewhat to keep from bumping heads on it.

I don't badmouth others' input, I'd appreciate others not badmouthing mine. *** More below ***

MODERATE TO SEVERE AUTISTIC, COMPLICATED WITH COVID FOG

Due to the above, I've likely revised posts <30 min old, and do not think as you do.

THINK BEFORE YOU REPLY!

4 minutes ago, An0maly_76 said:

To clarify, I mean a 50" display, not a 50" arm. I can barely read my 55" display from similar distance even at 20-30% zoom.

Gotcha. I'll keep that in mind.

I think you really should also consider the sturdiness of your ceiling. Most are made of gypsum plate and they really aren't that strong. It could be fine, or both your monitor and the arm might fall off along with the entire ceiling someday. 

I would personally not go for it, that's too much of a risk, if you really need some maybe use a wall mount arm, put it some where high and then facing the display down should be a much safer option

On 7/2/2022 at 10:28 AM, e22big said:

I think you really should also consider the sturdiness of your ceiling. Most are made of gypsum plate and they really aren't that strong. It could be fine, or both your monitor and the arm might fall off along with the entire ceiling someday.

I work in construction, so I'm well aware of that. As I said, it would be attached to the actual house framing, which is able to bear a considerably larger amount of weight. Thank you for bringing that up for anyone else who might read this later, though!

Medical monitor arms are what you should look for.  They have longer arms and articulate further.