What Linus Did for Me

_Nox

I think I've been watching LTT for the better part of ten years now. My morning routine now is wake up, have coffee, check for new Linus. Life takes you in all sorts of directions, so you can't always end up working where a lot of your passion is. Don't get me wrong, love my job but, I still have to visit YouTube to get my tech fix. Linus is one of those people I bundle in with others I admire, like Joel Zimmerman (Deadmau5). People who are transparent and pragmatic. That really helps to connect because while I'm okay when I interact with people, I don't understand what motivates them. Anyway, when I was in my early twenties I still remember starting to watch LTT. I was studying at university and had no money, My only option was to stay home and hunt for content. I quickly found a familiar, entertaining and genuinely interesting outlet. Watching the channel eventually led to me building my first computer. I've always loved video games but was quickly getting bored of them. Once I built my first computer, the logical conclusion for me was trying to transfer my hobby of playing guitar into the digital realm. I started experimenting with music recording software and after a couple of years, realised that the machine my modest budget was able to put together, couldn't meet the needs of my musical production needs. That takes me to my late twenties, when I began really exploring electronic music and finally had the money to upgrade my rig a little (thanks to Linus). I really got into mixing, mastering and production. I actually got a few gigs producing music for local artists and mastering albums... not much though. Since then, I've changed fields, working in something completely unrelated. But to this day, I still make remixes of 2000's pop songs and even create some of my own originals. It brings me a sense of solitude, creativity and escape. Escape from a busy world of productivity and change, two things I keep up with, but find relief in their absence. Where am I going with this? I'm not sure. What I do know is, I think its utterly surreal that a YouTube channel changed the trajectory of my entire life and defined my hobbies and tastes. Thanks Linus.

I wouldn't attribute too much to other people. I don't mean that in a derogatory or negative manner. What I mean is, you stumbled onto the LTT channel but what you did with that info was all you. You made decisions that got you where you are. Give yourself some credit too 馃槈

And don't get me wrong, LTT has gotten me into tech and PCs as well. My life direction has also been largely influenced by them and tech&PC's pays my mortgage these days. I am hugely thankful for their content and overall attitude. But I still credit myself for taking that direction as well.