Will my current build be enough for a 3090?

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Eldin Ring, Escape from Tarkov, Halo, Valorant, Fortnite, etc. Also use ClipStudioPaint

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc): 

CPU AMD Ryzen 7 5800X 3.8 GHz 8-Core Processor  
CPU Cooler Corsair iCUE H150i ELITE CAPELLIX 75 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  
Motherboard Gigabyte X570 AORUS ELITE WIFI ATX AM4 Motherboard  
Memory Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory  

Storage Samsung 970 Evo 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  
Storage Samsung 870 QVO 2 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive  

Video Card MSI GeForce RTX 2060 6 GB GAMING Z Video Card  
Case
Corsair 275R Airflow ATX Mid Tower Case

Power Supply
Corsair RMx (2018) 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply

Operating System

Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit

(Current build above.)

So I made a similar post not too long ago asking if a 3080 would work for my current build, but now i have a buddy who is getting out of gaming, and is selling his 3090 to me. I am simply here to ask again, will by current build be enough for this graphics card? It is a GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 3090 GAMING OC 24G Video Card, GV-N3090GAMING OC-24GD. I've plugged in all the parts into pcpartpicker, and it says that the estimated wattage is about 600W, but i like to hear it from actual people too. I think if anything, i might need to get a bigger case, cause i think the gpu will touch aio cooler when i put it in. Any and all advice is appreaciated!

Thanks!

Size wise it'll probably be fine. It's usually not advised for any contact with cooling but assuming the 360 is front mounted, I can't see that the gpu would make contact with the tubes.

On the other hand, an 850 watt might be flying too close to the sun because of 3000 series cards transient power spikes, especially the 3090

If you do plan to upgrade case, I'd also probably upgrade the psu. I'd get a case with 360 top mount support and maybe a 1000 watt.

5 minutes ago, dj_ripcord said:

I find that Bottleneck calculators are usually either completely wrong or misleading, as well as psu calculators. 

As a rule of thumb if neither the CPU nor the GPU cost 10x more than the other it's probably fine.

the "is it going to bottleneck" consideration is 1000x overblown at this point. It matters if you're tossing a $1000 GPU into a LGA 775 Pentium 4 system with 512MB RAM. It doesn't matter with something remotely modern.

3900x | 32GB RAM | RTX 2080

1.5TB Optane P4800X | 2TB Micron 1100 SSD | 16TB NAS w/ 10Gbe
QN90A | Polk R200, ELAC OW4.2, PB12-NSD, SB1000, HD800

On 6/30/2022 at 12:05 AM, Ryuikko said:

Size wise it'll probably be fine. It's usually not advised for any contact with cooling but assuming the 360 is front mounted, I can't see that the gpu would make contact with the tubes.

On the other hand, an 850 watt might be flying too close to the sun because of 3000 series cards transient power spikes, especially the 3090

If you do plan to upgrade case, I'd also probably upgrade the psu. I'd get a case with 360 top mount support and maybe a 1000 watt.

I find that Bottleneck calculators are usually either completely wrong or misleading, as well as psu calculators. 

I thought that the power spikes were something that only happened when they released. Have they not fixed it by now?

2 hours ago, Obese_Embryo said:

thought that the power spikes were something that only happened when they released. Have they not fixed it by now?

Not from what I've heard from at least. As far as I know they're still pretty prominent. I usually overcompensate 3000 series cards just so your pc just dosent shut down when there's a power spikes to your gpu.

You won't get any CPU bottleneck.

You'll want a 4k monitor upgrade for sure (I'm assuming the 2060 has been a 1080p or possibly 1440p unit for you.) or else the resolution will be your bottleneck.

On 7/1/2022 at 2:42 AM, Ryuikko said:

Not from what I've heard from at least. As far as I know they're still pretty prominent. I usually overcompensate 3000 series cards just so your pc just dosent shut down when there's a power spikes to your gpu.

any suggestions on a good 1000w?

10 minutes ago, Obese_Embryo said:

any suggestions on a good 1000w?

The phantecks Amp and the rog asus strix are both good 1000w psus as well as being A Tier on the psu tierlist.

22 hours ago, lee32uk said:

An RTX 3090 is massive overkill for 1080p. How much are you getting the gpu for ? Might be worth just reusing the RTX 2060 and waiting for RTX 4000.

He is selling it to me for 1200. I made this build to get a 30 series, but my original plan was to get a 3080 at most, but my buddy said he's just not into gaming anymore, so hes just going to sell it.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/3/2022 at 9:43 AM, Obese_Embryo said:

He is selling it to me for 1200. I made this build to get a 30 series, but my original plan was to get a 3080 at most, but my buddy said he's just not into gaming anymore, so hes just going to sell it.

Basically you're just not ever going to be able to see the high fps your GPU will be generating.

Even in new titles, maxed settings it should be well over 200+ FPS at 1080p, and really the 144hz is more about snap precision for esports than it is for making games look nice.

I would recommend making a 4K IPS monitor your next upgrade, and fast.